Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How usually is a Ubuntu template/minimal system?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How usually is a Ubuntu template/minimal system?

I am interested in purchasing a NetCup root server and would choose Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. It would be my first server ever.
I noticed that all VPS hosts offer their own operative system templates, and I wonder how they differ from an official Ubuntu server. I tested Ubuntu server from ubuntu.com on Virtualbox: it would be fine for my puroposes. However I suppose that the templates offered by NetCup would be different. To what extent do they differ? Am I supposed to install basic and fundamental packages like cron, logrotate or vi...? I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Comments

• Just mount the Ubuntu ISO and install it on your own via VNC

Thanked by 1WSS
  • llehirgen said: Am I supposed to install basic and fundamental packages like cron, logrotate or vi...?

Probably not, apt will tell you if you're missing any dependencies.

• @llehirgen said:
    Am I supposed to install basic and fundamental packages like cron, logrotate or vi...?

It's usually the other way around. A minimal template gives you a bit of a chance you don't have to uninstall as much useless shit as you'd otherwise would. I don't use Ubuntu but i guess it's even more bloated than Debian these days so i'll just talk out of my ass and assume it's the same but worse.

A tiny annoyance i had with lots of minimal templates is broken locale settings but fixing that really isn't much an issue.

• llehirgenllehirgen Member
    edited February 2018

@lion I never used VNC. Do you have suggested reading?
    NetCup.de claims that customers can also use the VCP to load their own CDs/DVDs or images and they provide FTP access for this.

• VCP is their control panel. You don't need much understanding for VNC it's just a direct connection to your servers console so you can take a look at whats happening even without an internet connection.

• @mksh so you mean that with a minimal template I would probably end up having an os with german language?

• mkshmksh Member
    edited February 2018

@llehirgen said:
    @mksh so you mean that with a minimal template I would probably end up having an os with german language?

No, just lots of complaining when you run apt-get and friends or some visual glitches. It's annoying but pretty much harmless.

Edit: Not saying i would be suprised to find a template with a localized language setting on a provider that is more or less focused on the local market but my post wasn't about that and i've luckily never met such a template yet.

• I just use minimal templates, mostly debian.
    Those fundamental packages like cron, vi/nano are also existing in minimal setups.
    But as Aidan said, apt will tell you if there's something missing.

• @lion gave you the answer. Use the minimal/network install ISO and put in what you want/need.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I believe it was tinyvz whose templates were so minimal they didn't include ssh out of the box. If you bought a VPS, you started at the console, setting up ssh.

• @raindog308 said:
    I believe it was tinyvz whose templates were so minimal they didn't include ssh out of the box. If you bought a VPS, you started at the console, setting up ssh.

Actually, some fairly common OpenVZ templates are just that fucking broken out of the box.

• @WSS said:
    @lion gave you the answer. Use the minimal/network install ISO and put in what you want/need.

Yeah it's probably the sanest way at least. One thing to remember about VNC installs though is unless you match the keyboard layout set for qemu those passwords you are typing might not be what you think they are. Got bitten by this once and wasted quite some time trying to figure out why ssh would not let me login.

Thanked by 2WSS uptime
  • Minimal OS