Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reverse Proxy on Different VPS / DataCenter
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reverse Proxy on Different VPS / DataCenter

Ok, so my client area is overwhelmed by visitor. And it begins to crawl. I don't think a shared hosting is enough.

But in the other hand, VPS on Singapore is Expensive as Fuck. So, I Google some work around and stumbled upon reverse proxy.

Is it possible to setup reverse proxy on Singapore on VPS and the REAL WEBSERVER is on USA, UK, or EU where the damn server is super cheap ?

Will it improve the Loading speed of my website ? And does it worth the hassle to save $7 a month to setup a reverse proxy ?

Comments

• Why not just using cloudflare? as i know they have server operate on singapore too, so based by the closest location they will proxy your website to singapore

• it's okay mas bro, i use reverse proxy from sg to fr

• @brian777 said:
    Why not just using cloudflare? as i know they have server operate on singapore too, so based by the closest location they will proxy your website to singapore

I already use cloudflare. I need to squeeze every last drop of possibilities.

• Are you sure it's not caused by a database table with too many columns?

How well the reverse proxy works will depend on your use case. Is latency important? How much of your traffic is dynamic?

• @wwabbit said:
    Are you sure it's not caused by a database table with too many columns?

How well the reverse proxy works will depend on your use case. Is latency important? How much of your traffic is dynamic?

It's billing software. I doubt it has anything to do with database.

Latency is not that important. I think. It is just a website, when people order hosting and stuff.

• @yokowasis said:

Some days I am surprised that you don't need to concentrate to breathe.

• @WSS said:

@yokowasis said:

It's not like I am the one who create the Software. We can just rule out stupid database schema problem.

• @yokowasis said:

@WSS said:

@yokowasis said:

It's not like I am the one who create the Software. We can just rule out stupid database schema problem.

It's a weak man who blames his software..

• @yokowasis said:

@wwabbit said:

Latency is not that important. I think. It is just a website, when people order hosting and stuff.

Sooooo... How is that magical billing data stored then? Also wtf are you doing running and storing billing on a VPS? @wss is right to criticize.

• @sureiam said:

@yokowasis said:

@wwabbit said:

Sooooo... How is that magical billing data stored then? Also wtf are you doing running and storing billing on a VPS? @wss is right to criticize.

By "I doubt it has anything to do with database." I refer to the cause of my website being slow. Not the software can operate without using database.

Because , the cause of my last problem (similar , the application being very heavy) is it has a ridiculously database schema (too many column).

It's not like I said @wss is wrong to criticize me. In fact if you look at every "need help" thread I made, he is always there to criticize me. I am flattered.

You can't be right if no one tell you that you're wrong.

I would say @wss in this case is a necessary evil. Same goes for @nekki.

Now, back to questions. Should I or Shouldn't I ? What do I need to take into account ?

• @yokowasis said:

What the fuck do I have to do with this?

Thanked by 1vovler
  • @Nekki said:

@yokowasis said:

I guess you just got reverse proxied

Thanked by 2WSS MasonR
  • @caracal said:

@Nekki said:

@yokowasis said:

Have I just bee in reverse proxying @WSS all this time?

The scenes.

• The only thing a reverse proxy would help with is possibly somewhat better routes to your main server. Ping might even go up if your clients had a good connection to the main server to start with.

Is it really worth to beef up your backend because your software is shitty? Why not save money on montly bills and fork out some more money to have your software rewritten once.

• kkonekokkoneko Member
    edited February 2018

Since you said you don't care about latency, just buy a cheap dedi/big vps in EU/US instead of using a multiple vps and reverse proxy. Use cloudflare infront of your new server.

• Billing software on a server selected on the rationale of being super cheap behind Spyflare... Anyways highly doubt adding another reverse proxy to an allready quite optimized reverse proxy setup is going to speed up anything.

• @teamacc said:
    The only thing a reverse proxy would help with is possibly somewhat better routes to your main server. Ping might even go up if your clients had a good connection to the main server to start with.

Is it really worth to beef up your backend because your software is shitty? Why not save money on montly bills and fork out some more money to have your software rewritten once.

It is not my software. Just because I can make a software doesn't mean I make all the software I used.

Why people keep assuming that I write my own billing software.

• @yokowasis said:

I don't think people assume that you wrote the software. They are just of the opinion that optimizing it is probably going to get you more of a performance gain than chaining reverse proxies.

• @mksh said:

@yokowasis said:

I don't think people assume that you wrote the software. They are just of the opinion that optimizing it is probably going to get you more of a performance gain than chaining reverse proxies.

That is if there is even room to improve
    not to mention Optimizing someone else software is a pain in the ass. we haven't even talked about encrypted code . I would rather spend my resources on something else.

• yokowasis said: It is not my software. Just because I can make a software doesn't mean I make all the software I used.

>

Never run billing behind a MITM proxy...

Thanked by 3mksh vovler lazyt
  • This is either a joke (not very funny) or not (very scary).

I don't know what I'd prefer.

• @Nekki said:

@caracal said:

@Nekki said:

@yokowasis said:

Have I just bee in reverse proxying @WSS all this time?

The scenes.

No wonder I woke up more sore than usual..

• yokowasis said: Ok, so my client area is overwhelmed by visitor. And it begins to crawl.

Maybe figure out specifically what the bottleneck is first. Otherwise shoving a reverse proxy in front won't always help especially if you're already using cloudflare. This suggests, if site is slow, maybe you need a better host ?

• @eva2000 said:

yokowasis said: Ok, so my client area is overwhelmed by visitor. And it begins to crawl.

Maybe figure out specifically what the bottleneck is first. Otherwise shoving a reverse proxy in front won't always help especially if you're already using cloudflare. This suggests, if site is slow, maybe you need a better host ?

I definitely need a better host. That's why I am considering using a VPS. But VPS in Asian is so damn Expensive. That's why I plan to use reverse proxy. Buy Cheap VPS Plan on Asian as Reverse Proxy, and Buy Better VPS as the muscle somewhere on USA, EU.

• resocketresocket Member
    edited February 2018

Get a decent VPS from Linode or DO or whatever at their Asian locations. Cloudflare should act as the proxy, not another VPS.

• @yokowasis said:

@eva2000 said:

yokowasis said: Ok, so my client area is overwhelmed by visitor. And it begins to crawl.

I definitely need a better host. That's why I am considering using a VPS. But VPS in Asian is so damn Expensive. That's why I plan to use reverse proxy. Buy Cheap VPS Plan on Asian as Reverse Proxy, and Buy Better VPS as the muscle somewhere on USA, EU.

Why not just Linode Singapore VPS ?

• Today SG vps price is same as US. Push your customer to invest on higher plan. I don't understand the BILLING area is overwhelmed by visitor but they didn't make profit?

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Try Alibaba cloud which has Singapore or hongkong location. And only charges you $4.5 or $9 monthly.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • Amazon LightSail SG location? Educators get a generous sign up bonus

• Reverse proxy will be ok for http traffic.