Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small VPS for Email Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small VPS for Email Hosting

I am not sure what specs I would require. Looking for suggestions as well as offers for the same.

The volume of email will not be much averaging around 10-20 every day.

Also looking for some tutorial to set-up the same. At first I just want to learn how to setup and configure everything, since I have never done it and always wanted to have my own mail server :-P

Comments

• I use kloxo mr to handle my web / mail. If you take off all the services you dont need with it you can just rail the panel and the mail server, it's possible to run it on as little as 64mb. Although 128mb would be preferred. For space you'd want 5GB or maybe 10GB depending on how much mail you get. Transfer requirements would only be a few gig a month max. All easy to setup if you use a control panel like kloxo, otherwise they can be tricky to do.

• techkkentechkken Member
    edited September 2013

I have an existing vps which run 2 small websites with very very less traffic . I do not use any control panel and like to do the management manually. would installing kloxo hamper anything?
    I am looking for another vps so that i don't have to mess with my existing server setup.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Using iredmail on a 256mb ramnode for a couple months now. Thinking about pushing it to 512 so clamav has more breathing room, otherwise no problems and I'm loving it.

• @techkken said:
    I have an existing vps which run 2 small websites with very very less traffic . I do not use any control panel and like to do the management manually. would installing kloxo hamper anything?
    I am looking for another vps so that i don't have to mess with my existing server setup.

Not really, you could still manually make changes to it since it lets you customize the configs for most programs. It's just a quick useful way to get things up and running and doesn't use much, I think I'm using 25mb for the panel if I shut off nginx, bind etc. I run my email from it, the advantage of having it is you get some nice webmail apps installed that you can pick from as default. I'm using the Kloxo-mr version on Centos 6 32bit.

• Personally i'd get a dedi (kimsufi is alright) and host my mail from there. I don't trust a shared environment to deliver my email.

• 128Mb RAM would be more than enough. Exim + Dspam + Dovecot would be my choice (if you need using ClamAV on server side, RAM/swap space should be raised byapprox. 250Mb, it's quite a memory eater).

• Check the leb wiki for my mail server setup

• Why dnt you use microsoft's email ?

• Anyways, use a cloud server with HA for emails. You wnt want your emails to drop off in case servers reboot !

• @darknessends All properly configured MTAs are required to retry sending should the remote MTA be offline. You don't have to worry about momentary outages due to reboots.

• @darknessends said:
    Why dnt you use microsoft's email ?

NSA watching you.

• 10-20 every day - setup from your home, no nsa, no provider, free
    choices .. portable e-mail server, virtual box with linux 1,2 or 3
    any thin client will do the job

• I use zoho and its very good ;)

• @nocom said:
    10-20 every day - setup from your home, no nsa, no provider, free

Oh yes. One shuts down one's home computer - no incoming email as consequence.

• techkkentechkken Member
    edited September 2013

@nocom said:
    10-20 every day - setup from your home, no nsa, no provider, free

Well you gave me an idea. Why not try my raspberry pi for the same.

• thin client server Master Bo. Windows tutorial , linux tut http://www.howtoforge.com/setting-up-a-spam-proof-home-email-server-the-somewhat-alternate-way-debian-squeeze. For VPS any 256mb with Kloxo

• For raspberry pi http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9404 and more from google with raspberry pi email server

• @nocom said:
    thin client server Master Bo.

No need to teach me how to set up mail server, really.
    The point is home computer isn't always 24/7 online.

• tutorials for techkken only

• I use a 512mb vps and have no trouble running iRedmail for the last few months - only 10gb of SSD storage, but for e-mail, that should last me years and years.