Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 10 not shutting down properly
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows 10 not shutting down properly

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited February 2018 in General

So recently Windows 10 won't shutdown properly.
It always gets stuck at this:

Any programs that may have something to do with it that I can imagine:
ESET Internet Security, Malwarebytes, Google Drive.

What I have done so far?

According to some Microsoft support article:

Changed standard SATA driver to: storahci.sys (had iaStor before which apparently often causes this shutdown problem).

I have also disabled chrome running (any apps) in the background which also was mentioned in terms of trouble shooting.

It is worth mentioning that it DOES NOT GET STUCK on shutdown if I shutdown via cmd "shutdown -s -t"

So any other ideas?

Comments

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited February 2018

Welcome to the LowEndHelpDesk.

Okay, but for being serious, you should have any serious profiling tool to understand what is going on here.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-troubleshoot-windows-startup-logoff-login-and-shutdown-problems/

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Check the system logs, see if something shows up there.

• @desperand said:
    Welcome to the LowEndHelpDesk.

Thank you. Still waiting for an agent though.
    Ticket ID is #0118-999-881-881-999-119-725-3

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

are there any pending updates or half downloaded updates on your system? I had this issue on some earlier builds of windows 10 when I had many stalled / partial downloaded updates.

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited February 2018

Open task scheduler, and find all tasks with the trigger on logout. And fix them.
    Plus I don't tell about standard: "sfc /SCANNOW" from the command line with admin privileges, and about fixing update center.

• @Clouvider said:
    Check the system logs, see if something shows up there.

Filtering Logs by SYSTEM User32 ID 1074 (shutdown) there is nothing odd showing. Atleast that's what I'd say. Just logs on the "Information" level that are saying that "shutdown was inititated by user X for the following reason: none; Shutdown type: shutdown; code: 0x800000ff".

• Reinstall -> fixed and hours saved

• @vovler said:
    Reinstall -> fixed and hours saved

Good that all relevant data is backed up in the cloud and my games are on an external ssd. Could acctually reinstall ffs. Anyway gonna wait a bit because reinstall will surely require me to contact mwb support again to let them once more reset my decices for lifetime license.

• shutdown /f /s & pray.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2018

@Aidan said:
    shutdown /f /s & pray.

shutdown -s -t works just fine. Just not the shutdown button in the start menu. Created a shutdown.bat now with shutdown -s -t 2 . If it comes down to that I might just as well use this to shut down.

@desperand no errors found

• Try to check with the following:

disable swap in settings

reboot (if it fails - wait for 3 minutes on shutting down screen and then reboot forcefully via button on your pc or with other way)

delete file c:\swapfile.sys

then reboot or shut down your pc in default way and see will it solve issue with stuck

• Ympker said: shutdown -s -t works just fine

Did you make any patchguard/bootloader changes recently? A reinstall will almost always be the fastest option.

• @Aidan said:

Ympker said: shutdown -s -t works just fine

Did you make any patchguard/bootloader changes recently? A reinstall will almost always be the fastest option.

Reinstall as in factory defaults or Windows "Fresh Start" feature?

• @Ympker said:

@Aidan said:

Ympker said: shutdown -s -t works just fine

Reinstall as in factory defaults or Windows "Fresh Start" feature?

Since you have an SSD, trying the "Fresh Start" feature first wouldn't hurt, just make sure you have your installation media on hand should anything go wrong.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I'm shutting down my PC with "shutdown -s -t 01" since ages. Normal shutdown from the start menu doesn't reset the "Up time" part in task manager, which is important for me.

• AidanAidan Member
    edited February 2018

somewhatwindy said: Normal shutdown from the start menu doesn't reset the "Up time" part in task manager, which is important for me.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings & untick "Turn on Fast Start".

You might have to click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable" first.

Thanked by 2Ympker jetchirag
  • Please do close all application properly and then try /also do fast shutdown tick in setting down fast in control pannel.

• @Aidan said:

somewhatwindy said: Normal shutdown from the start menu doesn't reset the "Up time" part in task manager, which is important for me.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings & untick "Turn on Fast Start".

You might have to click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable" first.

Already did that earlier (forgot to mention).

• Aidan said: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings & untick "Turn on Fast Start".

It works! Thank you.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • I'm acctually running some windows-rescue disk right now seeing if it brings anything up.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2018

No idea what it did but it seems to be fixed now. Lol. Never assumed these "1 click fix" CDs from tech magazines acctually work.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Thanked by 2Aidan jetchirag