Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't boot Windows ISO on VM after upgrade of Virtualizor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can't boot Windows ISO on VM after upgrade of Virtualizor

Hello,

Have anyone get can't boot Windows ISO (original from MS or custom ISO) all version on VM after upgrade latest version (2.9.5.1) of Virtlualizor? Which Linux ISO can boot normal on VM. Only issues which Windows ISO (original from MS or custom ISO) all version.

Regards,

Comments

• You've completely stopped your KVM and started cleanly? What version BIOS and iPXE/gPXE is your KVM running?

• jazz1611jazz1611 Member
    edited February 2018

@WSS said:
    You've completely stopped your KVM and started cleanly? What version BIOS and iPXE/gPXE is your KVM running?

Yes, i was stopped the VM before change config on VM. I always get no boot device although attached the "Windows Server 2008 R2.iso" for install Windows. Issues only after upgrade latest version of Virtualizor. Earlier, boot ISO to VM still work normal. I was tried both select number 1 vs 2.

• It still thinks you are booting from the HD. Have you tried using the other PCIID? If they both say "hard disk", something's wrong with your VS configuration. I'd ask the host for a virsh xml dump, myself.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

change the boot order, click stop, click start.

if that fails, manually edit the xml and start it from virsh, the only possible way virtualizor is a factor here is if it is not writing the config files properly and only for a specific ISO (Which seems highly unlikely given the lack of logic).

Thanked by 2MCHPhil WSS
    edited February 2018

Yes, i always stop the VM before change config on VM

There is config xml of VM

<domain type='kvm'>
      <name>v1201</name>
      <uuid>4760462c-9147-4e78-8ce6-61904651a26d</uuid>
      <memory>2097152</memory>
      <currentMemory>2097152</currentMemory>
      <vcpu >1</vcpu>
      <cpu mode='host-passthrough'>

</cpu>
      <cputune>
        <shares>1024</shares>
        <period>100000</period>
        <quota>100000</quota>
        <emulator_period>100000</emulator_period>
        <emulator_quota>100000</emulator_quota>
      </cputune>
      <os>
        <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc'>hvm</type>
        <boot dev='cdrom'/>
            <bootmenu enable='yes'/>
      </os>
      <features>
        <acpi/>
        <apic/>
        <pae/>
     </features>
      <clock offset='utc'>
            <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
            <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
            <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
      </clock>
      <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
      <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
      <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
      <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/libexec/qemu-kvm</emulator>
        <disk type='file' device='disk'>
              <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none' />
              <source file='/var/virtualizor/vms/v1201-dhpb6rudn7r96ikn-t2bfunpswdol1zpx.raw'/>
              <target dev='vda' bus='virtio' />

</disk>
        <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
          <source file='/var/virtualizor/iso/Windows Server 2008 R2.iso'/>
          <target dev='vdb' bus='virtio'/>
          <readonly/>
        </disk>

<interface type='bridge'>
          <source bridge='viifbr0' />
          <target dev='viifv1201'/>
              <model type='virtio' />
          <mac address='00:16:3e:90:9d:4a' />
        </interface>
        <sound model='ac97'>
        </sound>

<input type='tablet' bus='usb'/>
        <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>    <graphics type='vnc' port='6045' autoport='no' listen='x.x.x.x' passwd='xxxxxxxx' keymap='en-us'/>
        </devices>

</domain>

• WSSWSS Member
    edited February 2018

Check permissions on '/var/virtualizor/iso/Windows Server 2008 R2.iso', and remove/escape the spaces. Also, remove your vnc password from the above. I've never setup an ISO as a virtio type..

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • @WSS said:
    Check permissions on '/var/virtualizor/iso/Windows Server 2008 R2.iso', and remove/escape the spaces. Also, remove your vnc password from the above. I've never setup an ISO as a virtio type..

I was changed "Windows Server 2008 R2.iso" to "Windows-Server-2008-R2.iso" and boot again still don't work. The permissions is same Linux ISO, no different anything. ISO as a virtio is default from Virtualizor. I don't touch it.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited February 2018

did you run 'file Windows-Server-2008-R2.iso'? If so, what's it say?

Try modifying your XML stanza like:

[..]
        <disk type='block' device='cdrom'>
          <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
          <target dev='hdb' bus='ide'/>
          <readonly/>
    [..]

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

jazz1611 said: Yes, i always stop the VM before change config on VM

So like I said, asside from taking WSS's advice, forget virtualizor and start it from virsh and see what you get.

• @WSS said:
    did you run 'file Windows-Server-2008-R2.iso'? If so, what's it say?

If open that file on my desktop, it will begin running setup windows. Make me clearly, earlier the ISO still boot on VM is normal (v2.9.4.8 Patch8), after upgrade latest version of Virtualizor (v2.9.5.1 Patch1) can't boot Windows ISO on VM, which Linux ISO (centos, ubuntu....) can boot on VM is normal.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

I had the same issue.

Disable virtio & set CPU mode as 'host model'

That should fix it.

Thanked by 2WSS hostdare
    edited February 2018

after change <target dev='vdb' bus='virtio'/> to <target dev='hdb' bus='ide'/> can boot normal. so that is bug from virtualizor, we will need they update to fix it.

• Unless you have VirtIO enabled in the ISO, you won't have a hard drive image to install to.

• @WSS said:
    Unless you have VirtIO enabled in the ISO, you won't have a hard drive image to install to.

Where optional disable Virtio for ISO?

• @jazz1611 said:

@WSS said:
    Unless you have VirtIO enabled in the ISO, you won't have a hard drive image to install to.

Pretty sure you can only disable VirtIO or enable it with Virtualizor. Otherwise you need to edit your XML.

• According to discord:

[22:40] Ryan - Spartan Host: Just incase anyone wondered, latest Virtualizor release seems to have a bug where ISOs can't be booted with VirtIO disk enabled.

So you might wanna set it to IDE indeed for the ISO boot, then set it back to virtio after.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@jazz1611 said:

Goto Edit/Manage VPS

Under Advanced Options

• @teamacc said:
    According to discord:

[22:40] Ryan - Spartan Host: Just incase anyone wondered, latest Virtualizor release seems to have a bug where ISOs can't be booted with VirtIO disk enabled.

So you might wanna set it to IDE indeed for the ISO boot, then set it back to virtio after.

Won't that completely pooch Windows?

• @WSS said:

@teamacc said:
    According to discord:

Won't that completely pooch Windows?

I honestly have no idea what it would do to windows, just relaying information.

• Thank for all guys, i will notice to @virtualizor then they can know this bug.

• @teamacc said:
    I honestly have no idea what it would do to windows, just relaying information.

It's from Discord, so it's likely to be incorrect and/or useless. Pretty sure if you go back through and edit it to change the disk type to virtio from scsi/ide, it's going to shit on almost anything without manual intervention. Since only the cd interface is affected, it'd be better to do a post-hook and s/vdb/hdb/ && s/virtio/ide/ on that line, et al. ide/scsi overhead sucks and will drag the node down when compared to virtio.

• Also,

#cocks

• Just a note, there is Windows 2008r2, 2012r2 & 2016 OS Templates available for Virtualizor.

• same issue in me but only for ws2016, virtio drive unchecked already, and just set vps cpu to pass-through.