Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Refunds from zxhost?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Refunds from zxhost?

Who has received? @AshleyUk

Pro-Rota refunds will be sent to ALL customers who have paid past 20th January 2018 (this will take some time as will be done as and when the resource to refund is avaliable so please do bare with me)

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

Given how long the original thread was/is I dont see a problem with having a second one for tracking refunds within the community.

• Are we allowed to bump the thread by saying "No I didn't receive a refund"?

If its true.

Obviously, if this thread starts going over old ground it will just be merged.

• I haven't had an update from Ashley recently, but the last one I had in mid-Jan said he was still hoping to refund and he was using personal funds so it was going to take some time. I'm owed approximately £100. I don't know if he is processing them by amount or time.

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited February 2018

Haven't heard from him since last November. Eventually gave up on reopening the ticket every 3 days. Haven't received any emails from him either. Oh well.

• I haven't heard of anyone getting a refund. A few have gotten new servers activated.

• So he lost contact... My server is also unavailable!

@willie said:
    I haven't heard of anyone getting a refund. A few have gotten new servers activated.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Well, according to him, those who are having issues are really minor as in 1%.

99% of his customers are up & running, happy and dandy.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@deank said:
    Well, according to him, those who are having issues are really minor as in 1%.

99% of his customers are up & running, happy and dandy.

Which definitely explains a good reason to take the whole website down...

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Well, he confirmed with me that refunds will be done for all clients so he asked to close all tickets relating to refund requests. However, I have not received any of my 3 services there (1 for 1TB, 1 for 2TB, and 1 for 3TB).

I think we can only wait and hope this case. There is nothing that we can do at this moment IMHO.

• I'd like to know how many of those 3 year plans he sold. If the total amount owed is in the low 5 figures he might conceivably pay it off over time. If it's a lot higher it's a lost cause.

• willie said: If it's a lot higher it's a lost cause.

and the master of scams to have appeared on LET in terms of monetary value involved.

• @dbman said:

willie said: If it's a lot higher it's a lost cause.

and the master of scams to have appeared on LET in terms of monetary value involved.

I can't wait for you to meet Prout.

• @WSS said: I can't wait for you to meet Prout.

I am aware of his misdemeanors but not sure if they ran in 6 figures.

• @dbman said:

@WSS said: I can't wait for you to meet Prout.

I am aware of his misdemeanors but not sure if they ran in 6 figures.

..and now you've added another digit to Ashley's "take." You're adorable.

• @WSS said: ..and now you've added another digit to Ashley's "take." You're adorable.

I have not added anything. Please read the context of comments before you post a response. My reply was to willie who said refunds will be doable if the amount owed is in 5 figures and a lost cause if its higher. I am not very good at arithmetic but the next higher digit which comes to my mind is 6 only. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

• FWIW, six figures means at least 100,000.

• Well I said low five figures, i.e. up to 40k or so. It's plausible that the amount involved is higher, maybe even 100k+, since he sold those plans for months at approx $100 a pop. To put it in scale, they were priced a lot lower per TB than Cociu's easter special last year, which I think Cociu sold over 400 of in a few days and had to stop because his equipment and network got completely bogged down (some upgrades at his end eventually fixed things, but there was a painful period while that was happening).

So could Ash have sold 1000 of those plans? Presuming Telehouse's DC is much bigger than Cociu's and wouldn't run out of capacity as easily, Ash would only have to spin up more rental gear as stuff filled up. His plan was available for months even though it was at first advertised as a short term promo. Somehow that availability didn't get a whole lot of attention on LET, so who knows if orders kept coming in. Conclusion: I don't have enough info to say that $100k figure is likely, but it doesn't seem inconceivable.

• WSS said: FWIW, six figures means at least 100,000.

To be fair he said "low 5 figures" refund is possible, higher isn't. 6 digit isn't much of an extrapolation for high 5 figures. Its still a lot of money to have been scammed. I have refrained from using the word scam in past but now it looks just like that only. All sorts of stories then promises, pushing more & more of users out of PP's dispute window, fire sale, false claims of refunds done & 99% of services online and then disappearance. I would say that Ashley really consumed his erstwhile good reputation on LET to his benefit pretty well. Prout could have learned that from him but I guess he didn't have any reputation to begin with.

Yeah....

Getting close to going over old ground now, keep this one on topic if you don't want it merged.

Lets keep it as an Ashleys Anonymous group where you talk about how many months it has been since your service.

Thanked by 2Falzo svmo
  • @AnthonySmith said: Ashleys Anonymous group

minus Ashley. How does it help anyone?

• @dbman said:

@AnthonySmith said: Ashleys Anonymous group

minus Ashley. How does it help anyone?

So folks can see how refunds are progressing (or not) more cleanly.

This thread is for refund tracking, the other thread is for discussion of the situation.

edited February 2018

dbman said: minus Ashley. How does it help anyone?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2657122/#Comment_2657122

Not sure why that needs to be explained but here you go.^

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2018

I had the original 1TB Telehouse plan from Feb 2017 or so, and later added the 2TB 3-year plan advertised in August. The offer thread is entertaining reading in retrospect. Both plans stopped working sometime around November? Others here might have more accurate info. I only had redundant cold archives there, so didn't watch too closely.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited February 2018

TL;DR; no refund, but successful chargeback through paypal.

so I have news regarding my case. as already told in the other thread I had 6 services at the time the ceph desaster happened, 3 of those not on the ceph-cluster at all but eventually also affected from a later point in time as those also were located at 23media.

back in december I calculated that for all services prorated refunds would have been something around ~325€ and suggested to Ashley to settle at a single payment of 300€ to not need to go through chargebacks, avoid fees and stuff. I was told to wait till end of january to get things done.

because nothing happened afterwards I decided to put in disputes for incomplete services end of january because lucky enough I had one payment for a storage service and two (renewal) payments for the non-storage services still inside the 180 days window.

Ashley instantly replied to the disputes, claiming that there is/was no money to do any refunds (neither inside nor outside paypal), so I finally escalated to a chargeback a few days later.

as there has been no further answer from the seller to the cases, Paypal today decided in my favor and charged back the money for those three payments.
    Overall that's about 250€ now, so I'll let the rest go as I don't expect any further things from it.

I never did the whole chargeback stuff before and also don't know how it works from the sellers end. so I can't tell if paypal got that money back from the (frozen?) account or if they covered my cases out of their insurance funding or whatever (german paypal here, can't tell how much local laws might be a trigger for how paypal has to cover).
    I have to say after all I don't care much about the HOW anyway...

sorry to say, but obviously for people still being able to dispute/chargeback through paypal, that would be the way to go.

if there is a possibility on the sellers end to satisfy those requests early or to refund payments still in the windows without disputes already risen, I still don't get why Ashley rather takes the risk of getting more fees on disputes/chargebacks instead of refunding that way - but as already said, I can't tell how it works from a sellers point perspective...

with that I finally put my zxhost case to rest, best of luck to all (including @AshleyUK)

edit: added tl;dr;

Thanked by 2Aidan beagle
  • @Falzo said:
    TL;DR; no refund, but successful chargeback through paypal.

so I have news regarding my case. as already told in the other thread I had 6 services at the time the ceph desaster happened, 3 of those not on the ceph-cluster at all but eventually also affected from a later point in time as those also were located at 23media.

back in december I calculated that for all services prorated refunds would have been something around ~325€ and suggested to Ashley to settle at a single payment of 300€ to not need to go through chargebacks, avoid fees and stuff. I was told to wait till end of january to get things done.

because nothing happened afterwards I decided to put in disputes for incomplete services end of january because lucky enough I had one payment for a storage service and two (renewal) payments for the non-storage services still inside the 180 days window.

Ashley instantly replied to the disputes, claiming that there is/was no money to do any refunds (neither inside nor outside paypal), so I finally escalated to a chargeback a few days later.

as there has been no further answer from the seller to the cases, Paypal today decided in my favor and charged back the money for those three payments.
    Overall that's about 250€ now, so I'll let the rest go as I don't expect any further things from it.

I never did the whole chargeback stuff before and also don't know how it works from the sellers end. so I can't tell if paypal got that money back from the (frozen?) account or if they covered my cases out of their insurance funding or whatever (german paypal here, can't tell how much local laws might be a trigger for how paypal has to cover).
    I have to say after all I don't care much about the HOW anyway...

sorry to say, but obviously for people still being able to dispute/chargeback through paypal, that would be the way to go.

if there is a possibility on the sellers end to satisfy those requests early or to refund payments still in the windows without disputes already risen, I still don't get why Ashley rather takes the risk of getting more fees on disputes/chargebacks instead of refunding that way - but as already said, I can't tell how it works from a sellers point perspective...

with that I finally put my zxhost case to rest, best of luck to all (including @AshleyUK)

edit: added tl;dr;

It puts the account into minus 250 euros, meaning before I am able to process any further refunds via a normal method the 250 has to be paid to bring the balance back to 0.

As I mentioned in your dispute I have no power to close the dispute earlier without having a balance above 0 to pay the refund. And with having multiple disputes open this would be impossible at once.

Where once the dispute hits the deadline they just minus this off the account "balance".

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited February 2018

@AshleyUk, who cares? Why not post something helpful for the other clients you bailed on?

Edit: I don't mean to be a dick, but the last page of posts is about you not communicating with clients... I'm sure @Falzo is happy to see you respond, but honestly too little too late? You are making promises to appease people with no plan in place. Just chargeback everyone it's clear to see that's the only way you are going to get anything.

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited February 2018

@MCHPhil said:
    @AshleyUk, who cares? Why not post something helpful for the other clients you bailed on?

Edit: I don't mean to be a dick, but the last page of posts is about you not communicating with clients... I'm sure @Falzo is happy to see you respond, but honestly too little too late? You are making promises to appease people with no plan in place. Just chargeback everyone it's clear to see that's the only way you are going to get anything.

He was asking a question and I was just providing the information.

At no reason was I blaming him for anything. Just stating what my last reply to the disputes was with him.

That if the money was avaliable before the deadline would be refunded, if not would be completed by PayPal.

Was just answering his question / wonder if what happened, and why I hadn't just been able to hit the refund button on the case.

As I said I have refunded people and will continue to, yes a dispute is a guaranteed quick refund. If I had the money avaliable in my account right now of course I would refund someone over waiting for them to raise an dispute.

Was just stating that a dispute don't let me off the refund and I still have to clear the - before I can continue to refund someone.

I have replied to all disputes that have been opened and people that have asked for an update. But I can't give an exact date for a refund. As someone else could go an open a dispute right now which instantly puts that minus amount on the balance.

If falzo feels I have updated him then sorry, but I informed him straight away disputes was opened I would happily hit the refund button if I could. And would have to wait the time out. Not much else I can do in my current position than to update him with that. Which is what I said and is what happened.

People ask for an update I reply with some information so others wondering can undrstand the situation.

Maybe I should just not reply any further on LET and deal directly with anyone that contacts me.

• Falzo said: I was told to wait till end of january to get things done.

Did you communicate further that you wouldn't be making your deadline?

This discussion has been closed.