Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup for filehosting files?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup for filehosting files?

I have 200gb of data in my 1fichier. So you know if it is take down in the future, which file hosting should you suggest for me to backup and store all of my files?

Comments

• Any other file host. They are all more or less just as likely to get taken down eventually.

Or you go the Cloud storage/Premium way and choose Gdrive, Dropbox, box..

• @Ympker said:
    Any other file host. They are all more or less just as likely to get taken down eventually.

Or you go the Cloud storage/Premium way and choose Gdrive, Dropbox, box..

Google drive and dropbox, doesnt provide remote upload.

And if I remote upload to filesmonster then what if both of them (1fichier and filesmonster) would taken down in the future?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2018

Get a vps/dedicated server with lots of storage and install https://codecanyon.net/item/veno-file-manager-host-and-share-files/6114247 . It worked great for me in the past, is a self hosted file hosting solution and allows remote upload.

Thanked by 2angstrom BBTN
  • @Ympker said:
    Get a vps/dedicated server with lots of storage and install https://codecanyon.net/item/veno-file-manager-host-and-share-files/6114247 . It worked great for me in the past, is a self hosted file hosting solution and allows remote upload.

Yep. Thats a good idea.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited February 2018

@Ympker said:

Looks nice but then one has to consider the cost of the license as well.

@filelover: You're right, there are no guarantees about the long-term existence of 1fichier, even if they've been around for a while. The cheapest alternative would be roll your own with a storage VPS. If it's just a question of backup, there are many tools available for this.

• @angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@filelover: You're right, there are no guarantees about the long-term existence of 1fichier, even if they've been around for a while. The cheapest alternative would be roll your own with a storage VPS. If it's a just question of backup, there are many tools available for this.

The license is a one time Investition though :P

• @Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@filelover: You're right, there are no guarantees about the long-term existence of 1fichier, even if they've been around for a while. The cheapest alternative would be roll your own with a storage VPS. If it's a just question of backup, there are many tools available for this.

Yeah, okay, :-) but email support is only for 6 months. If a later update breaks something and you have a question, who do you ask?

This said, it looks pretty nice, and could be a good solution for some people.

(By the way, it seems to me that a lot of the functionality of this file hosting software is available in Nextcloud/ownCloud, which is another possibility for @filelover.)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2018

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

Yeah, okay, :-) but email support is only for 6 months. If a later update breaks something and you have a question, who do you ask?

This said, it looks pretty nice, and could be a good solution for some people.

(By the way, it seems to me that a lot of the functionality of this file hosting software is available in Nextcloud/ownCloud, which is another possibility for @filelover.)

Can't remember that I needed the support except initially. I didn't even always upgrade to the latest version as I was happy with the old feature set and considered its' security to be alright, too. Consider that on a vps/server you can also harden security yourself quite a bit :P

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

filelover said: And if I remote upload to filesmonster then what if both of them (1fichier and filesmonster) would taken down in the future?

Your data will be lost.