Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM announces East Coast DDoS filtering!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM announces East Coast DDoS filtering!

FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Hello everyone,

We're happy to announce that DDoS protected IP addresses are now available on the east coast!

How much do they cost?

These IP's cost $4.00/IP/month.

Is there a limit to how many I can buy?

Nope, have at it.

Can I GRE these to another location?

Whatever you can do in Vegas you can do in Buffalo.

How is this filtering better than Vegas?

Our Vegas filtering only handles TCP. Any UDP floods cause automatic ACL's,
meaning camfrog, teamspeak, steam based games, etc, all get disabled during amplification floods.

In Buffalo our filtering allows these services to continue working with, hopefully,
minimal lag or issues.

What are the limits of the IP addresses?

We filter up to 10Gbit/sec of UDP and/or 2,000,000 packets per second of SYN.

There is some burst room above this but it isn't guaranteed in any way.

How much additional latency is added to this?

Currently there is an additional 15ms from New York City, NY to Buffalo, NY.

We're intending to move to Choopa next year which will bring the latency to < 2ms (currently 1.5ms).

Is there Reverse DNS access?

Yep, you can set it in stallion just like every other IP.

Francisco

Comments

• Mind PMing me two test IPs. (1 DDoS, and 1 Normal) please

Mun

• Is this what the latest trend is? Charging extra for something that is normally done anyways to protect the providers network? So what happens when someone doesn't have DDoS and an attack on their IP brings down the whole network? Are all the other customers just SoL whether they pay extra for DDoS or not?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2013

@sman said:
    Is this what the latest trend is? Charging extra for something that is normally done anyways to protect the providers network? So what happens when someone doesn't have DDoS and an attack on their IP brings down the whole network? Are all the other customers just SoL whether they pay extra for DDoS or not?

Incorrect.

We run a built inhouse auto nullroute system that monitors the network and nullroutes users that get targeted with floods. It's extremely rare that anything gets past the autonull monitoring. Infact, it's pretty damn rare you see any sort of blip on either of our deployments ever since we replaced the Vegas router. Buffalo was rough for a while but that was Vyatta being lame with E1000 NIC's. Ever since I replaced that this year it has been just fine.

The DDOS protection is if you're wanting to stay up during the flood.

Filtering isn't cheap :)

Francisco

• @sman said:
    Is this what the latest trend is? Charging extra for something that is normally done anyways to protect the providers network? So what happens when someone doesn't have DDoS and an attack on their IP brings down the whole network? Are all the other customers just SoL whether they pay extra for DDoS or not?

Come on, really? Go to any other DDoS mitigation provider and you'll pay likely 100x more, if not more. There's a reason there's a market for DDoS mitigation.

• smansman Member
    edited September 2013

@zfedora said:
    Come on, really? Go to any other DDoS mitigation provider and you'll pay likely 100x more, if not more. There's a reason there's a market for DDoS mitigation.

Why are you trying to argue with me when BuyVM just posted a rebuttal directly above your post that contradicts what you are trying to say.

@sman said:

Why are you trying to argue with me when BuyVM just posted a rebuttal that contradicts what you are trying to say.

Our autonull isn't the same as actual filtering :)

When we issue a nullroute, the targeted IP is dead for 1 hour at a time.

The filtering allows your IP to stay online during the flood, assuming it's within the limits we mention.

Francisco

• @sman said:

You think the DDoS protection is a profit thing? Are you that stupid?
    You think DDoS protection that costs $4/mo should be included in a $3.50/mo VPS?
    No, it isn't a simple switch that you turn, not all networks are magically protected, you need network capacity to filter ddos WHICH COSTS MONEY, and no not everyone goes down because the IP can be nullrouted so that other customers won't be disturbed. Of course kiddie hosts often fail at this...

If you think that it doesn't cost anything to keep someone online when they get DDoSd then why don't ALL providers provide some kind of DDoS protection, regardless of being free or paid? Or do you maybe think nullrouting IS ddos "mitigation"?

Really, stop insulting people with your oversized ignorance

Now now, don't bite his throat out over it.

I can understand where his point of view is, especially if he has been on hosts that don't have any sort of automated nullroutes.

Francisco

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2013

Filtering costs ALOT of money, partly due to the huge bandwidth costs and expensive hardware (high spec and licensed). What BuyVM offer is really a godsend to people at the mercy of small attacks.

Look at the major providers such as Black Lotus, Staminus, CNServers, DDoSGuard etc for the costs involved in what BuyVM are purchasing so that you can be filtered at $3-4/IP.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I sincerely laughed reading at some comments... * cough sman cough*...

There are only a select few providers (BuyVM is one of them), that offer filtering. Pretty much, a really small percent of the networks are DDoS protected and usually cost in the 500+ range to host in there. And none of the mass providers won't tollerate any DDoS over their network. On my side for example - if a person getts attacked over our normal IPs (non filtered), it will get nulled automatically. Then it will be suggested to pay 3$ per month for filtered IP. If he declines and the DDoS re-occurs, he will be booted out of our network.

• @Francisco said:
    We're intending to move to Choopa next year which will bring the latency to < 2ms (currently 1.5ms).

Probably shouldn't have announced that this early, i'd be worried about your servers having some sort of "accident" ;)

• When is this move planned to happen? I hope you do some more planning this time, before doing the actual move :)

@rds100 said:
    When is this move planned to happen? I hope you do some more planning this time, before doing the actual move :)

It'll be next year since our contract doesn't run out till June.

That's for another discussion though ;)

Francisco

• smansman Member
    edited September 2013

@Frost said:
    Really, stop insulting people with your oversized ignorance

Please ban this asshole. This is the only type of response he ever has and contributes nothing.

• @sman said:
    Please ban this asshole. This is the only type of response he ever has and contributes nothing.

You should be banned too then, for calling someone an asshole.

• Bit harsh there Frost ;/

• eric1212eric1212 Member
    edited September 2013

I wonder if there is a large profit margin @ $4.

• /me likes it

• VPSSimonVPSSimon Member
    edited September 2013

Sman really, Complaining about a $4 ddos filtering option. Quite frankly as most providers do, Without this option its OK Ur ddos'd ur ip is null routed to stop others being impacted, An you just end up bitching about being offline with no option to filter ddos apart from bitching hoping software firewall will help when it wont do crap to a proper flood.

Ignore cloudflare as they are making money based upon 99% of sites protected with $200 buisness cover to not be hit. Although best value for money as largest place although the free users does mean whole cf network is more laggy than should be.

For example 10gbps filtering an 2mil PPS, If you went to large anti ddos provider, Prolexic or any other well established placed, Its safe to say that kinda filtering will cost you thousands per month.

So the fact a few extra dollars for DDOS protection is now being offered by VPS hosts; Its a good thing, People should stop bitching, Esp when them same people are those who bitch when there offline an had no ddos protection option available an charge back for downtime.

Maybe thank BuyVM for staying up to date with latest threats to the internet, Rather than bitching; If you don't want it then dont pay extra for the ddos protection, Simple as. But least its there for those who do want it.

Thats my Penny in the pot. Anyone who wants to remain online pays a mere $4 extra, If being online is that important im sure $4 is perfect, Those who don't suffer the nullrouting of there IP for approx 24 hours or until attack stops, Depends on providers terms. Some providers if hit often will terminate your whole service esp cos if its constantly nullrouted client is likely to chargeback. So isn't good business for either side..

Personally the size of the protection i say it should be around $10-15 a month, $4 just means the network will be over used by many, If its higher price it keeps it exclusive to those that need an can afford it, Even tho $15 is nothing like the $500 it should cost.

edited September 2013

@eric1212 said:
    I wonder if there is a large profit margin @ $4.

Not really. We're doing this as a favor to our users on the east coast that have been wanting filtering for a long time. We're the only VPS provider on the east coast offering filtering at an affordable price (or at all from what I can tell).

If we sell a ton of IP's then at some point it'll cover costs of it and turn us some profit but again, this is more a gift to those that want it.

I think you're all getting hot headed for no real reason. While sman's original comment did come off a little annoyed/mean, it really is likely he has been with providers that suffer from floods and neighbour customers take the fall.

We did a poll on vpsboard where we discussed price. If we wanted this to be paid off quickly we would have charged $50/IP and probably would have had a few people jump in. Instead, we decided to eat the cost of the service for the long term until it breaks even.

As I asked, try to cool your jets here. There's no reason to lash out at eachother.

Francisco

• @sman said:

Just shut your big mouth about business you don't know shit about, now you're just being a butthurt fool.

I'm not sure if you noticed, but that's just the conclusion of above detailed post. And why do you think I keep repeating that statement to you? Because the truth hurts..

• Wow @frost and @sman sound like you kids need sit in the corner and put your dounce caps on!

• Fran, did one of node in las vegas rebooted recently? or is it just my vps?

Anthony had a few panic's yesterday or the day before he had to cleanup but nothing too crazy :)

Francisco

• Nice @Francisco :-) This will definitely be an asset to many clients!

By the way: do you have any idea which East Coast DC you will be moving to?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@mpkossen

• hi is this for hosting owner only because i have a vps and im interested to buy this ip

@recreationgaming said:
    hi is this for hosting owner only because i have a vps and im interested to buy this ip

If you have a VPS in Buffalo with us you can order a protected IP for $4.00/month on top of your current plan.

Francisco

• ah .. But my vps is from hardcloud.net its from buffalo newyork

edited September 2013

@recreationgaming said:
    ah .. But my vps is from hardcloud.net its from buffalo newyork

It'd have to be with BuyVM.

This isn't a service offered by colocrossing. We handle this whole service.

Your only option would be to order service from us.

Francisco