Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Roku vs Chromecast
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Roku vs Chromecast

Which one do you prefer and why? :P

Comments

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Probably depends what apps you want on it.

I prefer Roku since it has the best Plex app compared to all other devices and that's pretty much all I use it for.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @MasonR said:
    Probably depends what apps you want on it.

I prefer Roku since it has the best Plex app compared to all other devices and that's pretty much all I use it for.

Id very much like to be able to control/browse the channels/videos from my phone so I can type on my phone instead of the optical keyboard on TV which i need to use with the physical remote controller which makes typing a pita. I can type way faster on my phone. German appstore seems to have locked Roku official remote control app though.

This one is locked for me in Germany: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roku.remote&hl=de

This one is available: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tinybyteapps.robyte&hl=de

Does anyone know if the second one works just as well?

• I have both. I mostly use the Roku because the remote control is much more convenient than using your phone. The Chromecast is useful for casting media that's not available on the Roku or for YouTube (it is hard to search on the Roku). If I had to choose one I would probably go with the Chromecast because it can do everything the Roku can and more, but it is not very pleasant to operate.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @elwebmaster said:
    I have both. I mostly use the Roku because the remote control is much more convenient than using your phone. The Chromecast is useful for casting media that's not available on the Roku or for YouTube (it is hard to search on the Roku). If I had to choose one I would probably go with the Chromecast because it can do everything the Roku can and more, but it is not very pleasant to operate.

But when you say the chromecast is not easy to navigate, isn't typing with the arrow keys of the physical remote of Roku taking way longer than you could by typing on your phone?

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited February 2018

@Ympker said:

But when you say the chromecast is not easy to navigate, isn't typing with the arrow keys of the physical remote of Roku taking way longer than you could by typing on your phone?

That’s what the Roku app is for.

Edit: my personal preference is the Roku, but that only applies if you get one of the more powerful models. The lower end Roku’s can be very slow.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

Roku overall is much better. More support for apps, and even though I love Google products I can't see them continuing the Chromecast far into the future with the competition (like Roku, or the others.) I have a Roku and a few people in my family have the 4K roku boxes and love them. Roku app on phone is also pretty good.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Nekki said:

@Ympker said:

That’s what the Roku app is for.

Which is banned in Germany. Only this third party roku remote app is available (although it has 1 million downloads): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tinybyteapps.robyte&hl=en

• I was using ChromeCast since it came out but stated using roku from last year , i find it much easier to use.
    roku remote is easy to use , personally i like TV player to not fully depended on your phone.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Why no firestick?

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited February 2018

AuroraZ said: Why no firestick?

Capable little piece of kit, but the UI is horribly cluttered and heavily Amazon-centric (obviously).

It's better than it used to be, but still not a patch on the Roku UI.

• Firestick is great. Cheap and has a very good remote. Goes on discount so often and those make it a killer deal. That remote itself makes all the difference.

I use it with Amazon prime video, netflix, YouTube, Kodi etc. Can't find a single fault at the price I got it.

• @Nekki said:

AuroraZ said: Why no firestick?

Capable little piece of kit, but the UI is horribly cluttered and heavily Amazon-centric (obviously).

It's better than it used to be, but still not a patch on the Roku UI.

I like the versatility of it more the roku. It's been a godsend for me lately. I bought a bunch on sale, like 7 of them, no clue why just did it. Will make good presents if nothing else.

• @Ympker said:

@elwebmaster said:
    I have both. I mostly use the Roku because the remote control is much more convenient than using your phone. The Chromecast is useful for casting media that's not available on the Roku or for YouTube (it is hard to search on the Roku). If I had to choose one I would probably go with the Chromecast because it can do everything the Roku can and more, but it is not very pleasant to operate.

I don't usually type on the Roku. The only app I need to type in is YouTube and for that I use the Chromecast. Also, I notice my wife uses the Chromecast for Spotify, even though it is also on the Roku, I think because she can play her own playlists that way, so that's another advantage of the Chromecast if you have more people using it.

But if you are just navigating Sling, Plex, etc. it is much more convenient to use a physical remote while looking at the TV.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I have both. Prefer the Roku because of the better Plex app. Chromecast is great for casting YouTube and other online video. Also integrates great with Google Home.

• Roku. Chromecast is a smidge cheaper, but it's hot garbage if you want to do more than play Google services or cast off another computer.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2018

Basically all I wanna cast is Flix, YouTube and Crunchyroll. And if possible use my phone as a remote to not have to type the series/movie titles with the onscreen keyboard and physical remote. I guess chromecast is my best bet then, eh?

• @Ympker said:
    Basically all I wanna cast is Flix, YouTube and Crunchyroll.

You could save the money and just jam a fork up your nose.. and I guess hit up @Nekki for the animu.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2018

@WSS said:

@Ympker said:

You could save the money and just jam a fork up your nose.. and I guess hit up @Nekki for the animu.

I already contacted @Nekki :P This gadget is convenience only :P

• The Roku 3's remote is a fucking godsend.

Thanked by 2Nekki WSS
  • @Ympker said:

@WSS said:

@Ympker said:

I already contacted @Nekki :P This gadget is convenience only :P

Anime server is possibly going up tomorrow....

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited February 2018

I've had all 3 of the major ones, Roku, Chromecast, Firestick. I already pay for prime so I often use the Firestick, as it has a lot of good free shit if you already pay for prime, at least in the US. The Chromecast is cool for Youtube and certain supported apps if you always have your phone next to you, but if you are like me and sometimes like to leave your phone away from you the Firestick's remote is nice. As for the Roku, well, it has a remote, and it has from what I understand the most content available as there isn't any dick measuring to be had like with Google vs Amazon so they tend to have all the services you'd want without any drama. I ended up returning my Roku Stick thing though as the UI was slow, and subjectively, shit. I hear it is better these days though, maybe I should give it another try.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Ympker You can try to install the roku apk from apkmirror.com maybe?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Setsura said: I ended up returning my Roku Stick thing though as the UI was slow, and subjectively, shit.

The original stick was slow as shit, the new 'premium' stick is a lot better.

UI itself hasn't changed for at least 3 years though. I think it's fine, personally.

• @Ympker
    What's wrong with using a computer or (big box) tablet (flat box) or laptop (portible box). Probably end up saving money if you used existing kit.

Also do you anime lovers only watch with subtitles or you use dubbed if it is good?

I only do dubs once I tried to watch with subtitles it was not fun my screenreader would read the subs and then I would here Japanese it was not emersive.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • hammer said: Also do you anime lovers only watch with subtitles or you use dubbed if it is good?

I prefer subtitles, personally; I'm not adverse to a good dub, but I'll always take subs if available.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Nekki said:

hammer said: Also do you anime lovers only watch with subtitles or you use dubbed if it is good?

I'll always take subs if available.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2018

@hammer said:
    @Ympker
    What's wrong with using a computer or (big box) tablet (flat box) or laptop (portible box). Probably end up saving money if you used existing kit.

Also do you anime lovers only watch with subtitles or you use dubbed if it is good?

I only do dubs once I tried to watch with subtitles it was not fun my screenreader would read the subs and then I would here Japanese it was not emersive.

Subtitles all the way. Although english ones even if german subs are available. There is few dubbed versions of anime Ive ever liked.

• My TV has Roku built in and I love it. I have a Chromecast, but rarely use it. I also have a Kodi box I made with an Odroid C2/LibreElec that I only use for Plex atm. Plex just works better than the Roku Plex app for me.

• @hammer said:
    @Ympker

Only subs. I cant watch it with dubs

• RamiRami Member
    edited February 2018

You might give a look to Xiaomi Mi Box 4K as well it has Google cast built in and remote is very good with voice search option, it can be used with Android TV App to type with your phone
    I never use Roku before but I had a Chromecast (I give it away to a friend after I bought the MiBox)

Thanked by 1Ympker