Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Help] Software RAID centos
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Help] Software RAID centos

So I thought I'd try out NOCIX due to the 1GB port speed and being $30 so why not.

Here is my issue I'm used to SYS/OVH and the easy control panel when installing the server.
My server came with 120GB SSD, and 2 1TB drives.

The SSD I honestly don't care but if I can run the OS on it and use the the 2 1TB drives in RAID0 I'll be fine as long as its not diffcult.

I'll be using the Webuzo control panel.

But here is my issue I cannot figure out how to setup software RAID0 at all! I've tried this, but it goes right over my head https://www.tecmint.com/create-raid0-in-linux/.

Thanks

Comments

• StealthyHostingStealthyHosting Member, Host Rep

Run "fdisk -l" and see your drives. You should have 3 drives, a,b and c. Figure out which 2 are the 1TB SATA drives and follow the instructions using those 2 drives.

Do you have a specific issue you are running into?

• Where are you stuck exactly? Give us few more info.

• You would need skills to operate under command line and not just in control panel.

First try to figure out disk layout using fdisk -l, and then mdadm --create ... to create the RAID on that. It's recommended to create RAID on partitions and not disks, but if creating partition is beyond your ability, then disks based MD should also work.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • It was just various things that where not working. I think I may of gotten it to RAID0 earlier before screwing things up BUT now I have no idea on partitioning it as Webzuo only sees the storage in which is the SSD that its installed on.

• If you successfully setup RAID but then decided to start over, you may need to zero the superblock. This blog post (no affiliation) is a nice cheat sheet for various mdadm commands and step 6 shows how to do this.

As mentioned, you should RAID partitions, not whole disks; even if it's just one, big partition. So first create the partition tables on each 1 TB drive. Then use mdadm to put those two partitions into RAID. After that, you should basically be done.

To be honest, the tutorial you linked to seemed pretty complete. As a few other people have commented, is there a particular part where you got lost or confused?

Maybe post the result of fdisk -l and then we can start walking you through it.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • HuntersPadHuntersPad Member
    edited February 2018

Right now getting to this

[root@s124980 ~]# mdadm -C /dev/md0 -l raid0 -n 2 /dev/sd[b-c]1

mdadm: You haven't given enough devices (real or missing) to create this array
    [root@s124980 ~]#

Its the entire thing that is confusing to me, As I am using the guide step by step not understanding everything that is going on does not help either lol.

• @JustAMacUser said:
    If you successfully setup RAID but then decided to start over, you may need to zero the superblock. This blog post (no affiliation) is a nice cheat sheet for various mdadm commands and step 6 shows how to do this.

As mentioned, you should RAID partitions, not whole disks; even if it's just one, big partition. So first create the partition tables on each 1 TB drive. Then use mdadm to put those two partitions into RAID. After that, you should basically be done.

To be honest, the tutorial you linked to seemed pretty complete. As a few other people have commented, is there a particular part where you got lost or confused?

Thanks at the moment fdisk -l does nothing it just sits for awhile and and goes blank

• @HuntersPad said:

@JustAMacUser said:
    If you successfully setup RAID but then decided to start over, you may need to zero the superblock. This blog post (no affiliation) is a nice cheat sheet for various mdadm commands and step 6 shows how to do this.

Thanks at the moment fdisk -l does nothing it just sits for awhile and and goes blank

What about lsblk ?

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • Blank result doesn't sound good to me. You may have to run dmesg to check if your hard drives are actually sitting there and what device names are assigned by the kernel.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • @HuntersPad said:

[root@s124980 ~]#

Its the entire thing that is confusing to me, As I am using the guide step by step not understanding everything that is going on does not help either lol.

I don't want to be condescending, so please do not take the following that way... I simply do not know your skill level so I'm going to mention it:

You cannot just copy/paste that line and expect it to work. You need to actually provide the correct devices (e.g. /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1). There is some bash trickery there with the square brackets and what not, but if it makes it easier to read just type it out long form like the example I just gave using your actual partitions; those might be sdb1 but they might also be sda1, only you know but it's the type of information fdisk -l would provide.

As others just mentioned though, if fdisk is showing nothing, that's not good. You need to start checking that those drives are installed and recognized by the OS. It's possible your difficulties are less you setting things up and more the hardware giving out at the exact wrong time (stranger things have happened).

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • @JustAMacUser said:

@HuntersPad said:

[root@s124980 ~]#

I don't want to be condescending, so please do not take the following that way... I simply do not know your skill level so I'm going to mention it:

You cannot just copy/paste that line and expect it to work. You need to actually provide the correct devices (e.g. /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1). There is some bash trickery there with the square brackets and what not, but if it makes it easier to read just type it out long form like the example I just gave using your actual partitions; those might be sdb1 but they might also be sda1, only you know but it's the type of information fdisk -l would provide.

As others just mentioned though, if fdisk is showing nothing, that's not good. You need to start checking that those drives are installed and recognized by the OS. It's possible your difficulties are less you setting things up and more the hardware giving out at the exact wrong time (stranger things have happened).

Also sdb1 and sdc1 will not exist if there are no partitions on the drives.

• I understand, yeah skill level is at least there to know the drive name :D. Just did another clean install

`Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk label type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x0000a9b8

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes, 234441648 sectors
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0009b5e7

/dev/sda1 2048 6143 2048 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 * 6144 1030143 512000 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3 1030144 234440703 116705280 8e Linux LVM

Disk /dev/sdc: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0006c648

Disk /dev/mapper/vg-root: 110.2 GB, 110238892032 bytes, 215310336 sectors

Disk /dev/mapper/vg-swap: 8187 MB, 8187281408 bytes, 15990784 sectors

Disk /dev/mapper/vg-tmp: 1073 MB, 1073741824 bytes, 2097152 sectors
    `

• HuntersPadHuntersPad Member
    edited February 2018

GOT IT! Now it seems I now have a raid0. Now my next issue, file system for Webuzo. I need it to go onto the 2TB RAID and not the OS drive.

• How can I change the file system within Webuzo? everything is storing onto the install drive unfortunately.