Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to detect phishing website hosting on shared hosting server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to detect phishing website hosting on shared hosting server

Hi,

Can you please advice me what is the best way to detect phishing website hosting on your web hosting server. e.g. any scanner name or other method to detect / find such websites.

Thanks

Comments

• VPSSimonVPSSimon Member
    edited September 2013

Basic clamAV scans will detect malware files, But phishing sites is generally either your cross referencing major websites content with all files (time an cpu consuming) The only real way to know is to answer an listen to abuse reports.

An example of the time consuming work to cross reference all files would be : http://people.clarkson.edu/~jmatthew/publications/SPIE_PhishingDetection_2012.pdf

However wouldn't even bother as if clients know its scanned for, They will just base64 encode an decode the php's so file scan would reveal nothing. HTML is outputted on runtime.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I don't think you can scan for that.

You will get abuse notifications and you act on them.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

you need to check for the domain and ip details to verify if the site is an original one or a phishing site on a shared server...

let me know if you need a detailed tutorial for this...

• @agentmishra said:
    you need to check for the domain and ip details to verify if the site is an original one or a phishing site on a shared server...

let me know if you need a detailed tutorial for this...

Yes, I'd like a detailed tutorial for this.

@Bogdacutuu said:
    Yes, I'd like a detailed tutorial for this.

ok wait for some time, let me finish with my assignments and will post soon, but some more requests should come...

any ways, i commit, will post soon

• I don't see how it's possible. You might catch the simple ones, but most of the proper ones are smart these days and won't be a direct copy. It might even be a self-made site made to look like the original.

• realwebrealweb Member
    edited September 2013

@agentmishra said:
    any ways, i commit, will post soon

Thanks Shall wait

@realweb said:
    Thanks Shall wait

you thanked me verbally, if you feel like, would you mind clicking on the thank, so that i get 1 more thank in the forum...

• Keep in mind that scanning files of customers is illegal in many countries.

• ClamAV is catching a lot of scam emails. I am not sure about scam pages though.