Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From March, iCloud in China will be run by a state-owned company
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

From March, iCloud in China will be run by a state-owned company

john564john564 Member
edited February 2018 in General

So if you visit China, all your icloud data will be moved to China
and Apple say if you don't like it, deactivate your iCloud account

Starting February 28, 2018, the operation of iCloud services in China will be transferred to GCBD. Use of these services and all the data you store with iCloud, including photos, videos, documents, and backups, will be subject to the terms and conditions of iCloud operated by GCBD. Aside from this change, your iCloud service will continue working without interruption.

If you are not a Chinese citizen residing in the mainland of China, you can edit the country or region setting of your Apple ID to reflect your current country or region and continue using iCloud under Apple's current terms and conditions.

If you are a Chinese citizen residing in the mainland of China and you don't want to use iCloud operated by GCBD, you can deactivate your iCloud account.

Comments

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2018

Title sounds editorialised -- main text just mentions Chinese citizens, not tourists?

• @jackb said:
    Title sounds editorialised -- main text just mentions Chinese citizens, not tourists?

No, its all icloud accounts being accessed from China

• muffinmuffin Member
    edited February 2018

@john564 said:

@jackb said:

>

No, its all icloud accounts being accessed from China

“If you are not a Chinese citizen residing in the mainland of China, you can edit the country or region setting of your Apple ID to reflect your current country or region and continue using iCloud under Apple's current terms and conditions.”

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • @muffin said:
    “If you are not a Chinese citizen residing in the mainland of China, you can edit the country or region setting of your Apple ID to reflect your current country or region and continue using iCloud under Apple's current terms and conditions.”

This tells you, you must now put China as your current country.
    Expats don't want to use Chinese Apple App store or have private data stored in China

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • So I’ll be forced to change my region on my phone if I visit China?

• @caracal said:
    So I’ll be forced to change my region on my phone if I visit China?

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/11/apple-china-icloud-international-users/

yup

• I'm using miui, and maybe my micloud already served to GCBD

Thanked by 3hostdare cece netomx
  • Which iCloud accounts will be subject to the transition to the new terms and conditions of iCloud operated by GCBD?

The operation of iCloud services associated with Apple IDs that have China in their country or region setting will be subject to this transition. You will be notified of this transition via email and notifications on your devices. You don't need to take any further action and can keep using iCloud in China. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208352

I haven't fully researched this yet. It makes sense to exclude tourists from this though.

• @caracal

its all Apple IDs used from China, no matter they are foreign accounts and settings
    and only thing Apple can say is "deactivate your iCloud account"

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Click bait but If you are Citizen of USA then why you care about data. Your data is already stored in NSA server. ;)

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    Click bait but If you are Citizen of USA then why you care about data. Your data is already stored in NSA server. ;)

Top contribution as usual, Kunnu.

• If you visit China, all your icloud data will be moved to Chinese Military Servers

Not correct. Your iCloud data will move to China if....

1.) You use iTunes China

2.) You have set your iPhones region to China (even if you are using US iTunes or have a US Apple ID)

One thing is very sure, there will be NO backdoor! They can view your data freely via the frontdoor.

Thanked by 2hostdare cece
  • adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

communism intensifies

• Apple also store Russian data in Russian server. Not a big deal.

• Do you work at a stuggling media joint with a sensationlist title like that OP?

Thanked by 1jar
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

• I have been to china, you DO NOT ever have to change your icloud location. OP does not know what they are talking about.

• @huntercop said:
    I have been to china, you DO NOT ever have to change your icloud location. OP does not know what they are talking about.

Starting February 28, 2018, the operation of iCloud services in China will be transferred to GCBD.

Starting February 28, 2018

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited February 2018

The original thread title was "From March, If you visit China, all your icloud data will be moved to Chinese Military Servers".

This is a bit sensationalist and inaccurate:

• has nothing to do with "visiting" China - it's if you're in China, period

• the DC is a partnership between Apple and a Chinese company. State-supervised, but your data is not being "moved" to "Chinese military servers"

It's still appalling, of course.

I changed the title.

Thanked by 1dedotatedwam
  • john564john564 Member
    edited February 2018

GCBD is owned by the Guizhou provincial government
    This is the Job of the Military in China,

And all Apple can advise is, terminate and remove icloud.

• @john564 said:
    GCBD is owned by the Guizhou provincial government
    This is the Job of the Military in China,

Or don't go to China

• @dergelbe said:

If you visit China, all your icloud data will be moved to Chinese Military Servers

Not correct. Your iCloud data will move to China if....

1.) You use iTunes China

2.) You have set your iPhones region to China (even if you are using US iTunes or have a US Apple ID)

One thing is very sure, there will be NO backdoor! They can view your data freely via the frontdoor.

Actually you can set the region for your iCloud account and if you set it to somewhere instead of mainland China then you will not affected by this shit.

You can check it here:
    https://www.icloud.com/optout/

Click the “deactivate iCloud” link and it will tell you on the next page that you are not affected.

• john564 said: GCBD is owned by the Guizhou provincial government This is the Job of the Military in China,

john564 said: GCBD is owned by the Guizhou provincial government This is the Job of the Military in China,

Better than NSA which doesn't even tell the users and providers with their backdoors...

My view is simple, no personal data is "safe" as long as it is connected to the Internet, the only thing that's "safe" is the fact we are just a whole bunch of guys who are not important to any government. NSA won't be interested in what you had for dinner last night or how cute your first born son is, nor the Chinese/Russians/Iranians will care.

• @spammy said:

john564 said: GCBD is owned by the Guizhou provincial government This is the Job of the Military in China,

Better than NSA which doesn't even tell the users and providers with their backdoors...

My view is simple, no personal data is "safe" as long as it is connected to the Internet, the only thing that's "safe" is the fact we are just a whole bunch of guys who are not important to any government. NSA won't be interested in what you had for dinner last night or how cute your first born son is, nor the Chinese/Russians/Iranians will care.

So true. But there is one issue: machine learning. Individual records for random people are useless but machine learning algorithms can make them very useful. For instance, take all the data about some criminals which is used to train a model. Then the model is applied to the meaningless general public data to "prevent" crime. The algorithm finds some matching patterns between your data and the data of some criminals, now all of a sudden the random guy ends up on a short list of 100 people "most likely" to commit a crime, even though the person hasn't done anything incriminating. From there all data about the person becomes important and sure enough evidence will be found sooner or later to ruin his/her life.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @DewlanceVPS said:

I would rather the nsa have my files than to put them anywhere near your servers.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @elwebmaster said:

So true. But there is one issue: machine learning. Individual records for random people are useless but machine learning algorithms can make them very useful. For instance, take all the data about some criminals which is used to train a model. Then the model is applied to the meaningless general public data to "prevent" crime. The algorithm finds some matching patterns between your data and the data of some criminals, now all of a sudden the random guy ends up on a short list of 100 people "most likely" to commit a crime, even though the person hasn't done anything incriminating. From there all data about the person becomes important and sure enough evidence will be found sooner or later to ruin his/her life.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. Hello Minority Report (imdb.com/title/tt0181689), here we are.

• @spammy said:
    Better than NSA

Does the NSA puts you in jail when you write that you didn't like Trump? Or when you write about or promote democracy? Or you have a book by the Dalai Lama ? The Chinese government does. Remember Liu Xiaobo? Or Shi Tao, which in an email complained about reporting restrictions in China - 10 years jail.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1497832/Yahoo-accused-of-helping-Chinese-jail-journalist.html

In China you can't write anything negative about the government. Just imagine you have Liu Xiaobo's Charter 08 in your documents, you will be jailed for a few years.

I don't see any such tendencies in USA, and I doubt they get there anytime soon.

• dergelbe said: China

Free media isn't a universally accepted term, a ton of countries have limits of what may or may not be said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_by_country

• dergelbe said: Does the NSA puts you in jail when you write that you didn't like Trump? Or when you write about or promote democracy? Or you have a book by the Dalai Lama ?

No. But they deny you a visa to enter the country if you insult Trump: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-5344935/Diego-Maradona-denied-entry-insulting-Trump.htmlhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-5344935/Diego-Maradona-denied-entry-insulting-Trump.html

And have a look on the leaks (wikileaks etc.). NSA and the other US government agencies are not saints. They have done a lot of illegal things inside and outside the US (as a lot of other countries does).

Thanked by 1netomx
  • spammyspammy Member
    edited February 2018

@dergelbe said:

@spammy said:
    Better than NSA

Does the NSA puts you in jail when you write that you didn't like Trump? Or when you write about or promote democracy? Or you have a book by the Dalai Lama ? The Chinese government does. Remember Liu Xiaobo? Or Shi Tao, which in an email complained about reporting restrictions in China - 10 years jail.

Nah, they just label you terrorist and put you in Guantanamo Bay :)

Jokes aside, again that is my point, most of the ppl in LET (and most of the ppl we know) are not "important" enough to be known and prosecuted by the government, whether it is US or Chinese or some other country. Xiaobo (or whoever you read on the newspaper) are unfortunately the "important" enough ppl so that it worth the government effort to do whatever they want to do. NSA doesn't care about my personal data right now but if one day I am famous enough to receive a Nobel Peace Prize for accusing Trump and the US government I highly doubt NSA won't be curious at all on who I try to email/call/text/whatsapp

Thanked by 1hostdare