Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS server - solve different zones to other dns servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS server - solve different zones to other dns servers

I would like to setup a local dns server on my pc to forward all xxx.local dns request to the local dns server, but every other request to google dns.
How can I achieve that?
I'm running windows 8 and I already tried using maradns but i don't know how to set 2 upstream servers.

Comments

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Instead of setting up DNS server just put the entries into hosts file http://www.jafaloo.com/windows-hosts-file/

• @gbshouse so something like this into hosts file?

10.x.x.1 xxx.local. 
    10.x.x.2 xxx.local.
    8.8.8.8 .
    8.8.4.4 .
  • didn't work, also AFAIK hosts file can only do A records

I came up with this mararc config (for maradns)

upstream_servers = {} 
    upstream_servers["local."] = "10.x.x.1, 10.x.x.2"
    upstream_servers["."] = "8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4"

But I'm getting "Query refused" when i try to resolve domains with nslookup, any tips?

• I haven't tried it, but dnsmasq might do the job for you.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@MuZo - no, just put: 1.2.3.4 blah.local and skip the default DNS stuff. The order of resolution is hosts, DNS so if the entry does not exists in hosts it will be picked from your default DNS

• @amhoab said:
    I haven't tried it, but dnsmasq might do the job for you.

+1 dnsmasq does this ("split DNS" depending on domainname)

• @gbshouse uhm yes, but I don't want to add "fixed" entries, .local. (and all subdomains etc) requests has to go to local dns server (10.x.x.1 and 10.x.x.2), other requests (.) to google dns.

if I enter "10.x.x.1 local" in hosts file I won't be able to resolve "dev.local".

Using hosts file I should do something like "10.1.1.1 dev.local" but I don't have control on the local dns server so I can't use "fixed" entries.

Also neither one of the dns servers (local and google) should override the other one if it is down.

@amhoab @jimpop yes, something like dnsmasq but for windows, any ideas?

• @MuZo, sorry no. :-(

• jimpopjimpop Member
    edited September 2013

Bind doesn't do split DNS forwarders, per queried domain name.

• Tried Acrylic and it's working fine :)

Problem solved, thread can be closed.

This discussion has been closed.