Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Request for Basic Linux Server VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Request for Basic Linux Server VPS

I'm interested in setting up a server that I can use to re-learn linux. My main goal to start is to setup an OpenVPN server (would prefer to do it myself rather than rent one already setup). I am working on a script for my home router to automatically switch to a different VPN server if the currently connected one goes down. Unfortunately, the two VPN services I am using are very reliable. I need to setup an OpenVPN server than I can randomly kill to test :).

I would like to install an Ubuntu or Arch linux server that I can connect to through SSH (no graphical desktop environment) and run basic services for testing/learning like pi-hole. So the VPS doesn't need to a lot of CPU, memory, disk space. My budget is $5 per monthly (no yearly plans please), but I can pay a few dollars more if necessary. I don't want to pay for a server that's so slow I'll have to constantly wait on it. A shared IPv4 address is acceptable. I'm looking for the Chicago area or one of the surrounding states.

I've been disabled and out of the game for about 15 years. Most of my previous experience was with Windows 2000/2003 Server and Windows NT/2000 but I did spend a few years setting up small red hat servers as routers, DNS, DHCP etc. I also had some experience setting up squidguard and dansguardian for schools, but I'm finding it hard to get back up to speed, so basically I'm starting as a noob again.

Comments

• If it’s just for pissing about with, pick up something from the LowEndSpirit range. You’ll get a low-spec server for a few $ a year. The only thing that differs from other VPS is that you don’t get a dedicated IPv4 address and only get access to certain ports over IPv4 (you do get IPv6 addresses, and full access to ports for those however).

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • Since you're looking for a VPS in the Chicago area, I suggest you take a look at VirMach's offerings here. I have a VPS with them in Chicago and I have been quite happy with its uptime/performance. Tagging @VirMach in case they can help. Also, just FYI, generally there's no IPv6 with any/most/all of VirMach's plans. Their looking glass is here.

Unfortunately you may not get any "deals" at this time of the year with them but they're pretty cheap and should be pretty solid for your needs.

There are probably some coupons/promo codes around that can bring down the price a bit (hopefully someone else here will know about them and where to find them).

Hope this helps you get back into the thick of things.

• @nullnothere said:
    Also, just FYI, generally there's no IPv6 with any/most/all of VirMach's plans.

No IPv6 support on any location, confirmed by their support staff. However, there is HE's TunnelBroker.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

I'll go with @Nekki on this one, if you seek a "training field" to experimente linux skills have a look to lowendspirit.

Thanked by 2Nekki AuroraZ
  • jjquin said: My budget is $5 per monthly

You might be interested in Hetzner's new cloud lineup, billed hourly so you can start/stop a project as you wish - pretty much perfect for these kinds of projects.

https://www.hetzner.com/cloud

• I'm a strong believer in using a raspberry pi to learn Linux. Setting up a local server, pi hole, etc. Is a great way to learn without spending much but having something local that eats no electricity really yet allows for fun scripting and server Configs. Additionally since you have a VPN your happy with you can potentially even run the pi through that along with a ddns service. It's not as glamorous but the capabilities of pi 3 are very large and will teach you Linux in a settings that's more tangible vs a low end cloud vps

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

We provide VPS in Chicago with IPv4 + IPv6 - Setup is instant and disk is SSD.