Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MOving to a VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MOving to a VPS

I have a large website that I cant host with a hoster anymore and need to move it to its own VPS.
I have a VPS for it but I don't know what the best way to go about installing and setting it up.
for years I have only worked with cpanel as when I was younger and did my computer courses NT days I build a brick wall in my head for anything to do with Linux lol.
Would i be beta off just paying for cpanel to run the site or try a free panel? or is there othe way i can go about it ?
Thanks for ya help,
Goat

Comments

• launchvpslaunchvps Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

If you are familiar with cPanel and feel you would have a learning curve with Linux or other panels, I think it will likely be worth the $14 dollars a month for you to stick with it.

It will cause less headaches for you in the future. Especially since you are moving to VPS. That is a change in itself. If I would you, I would stick with cPanel to keep the learning curve from shared -> VPS a little easier.

That said, there are a number fo good free web panels out there. If the $14 a month is too much, I would recommend looking into Virtualmin/Webmin:

https://www.virtualmin.com/

Works very well and is free and open source.

Good luck!

EDIT: Plus it would be easier for you to migrate your site from your current host if you stick with cPanel.

Thanked by 2uptime Plioser
  • centminmod.com

Thanked by 1vovler
  • Also spend time learning. Eventually it will get easier a bit. The first time you set it up it will take time in everything from securing it to putting a site online.

The knowledge is not required is alot and in fact I still feel like a monkey typing commands that I don't always fully understand but if you are not afraid to learn and are willing to search if something goes wrong then you will succeed.

If you are bad at listening or following directions, not curious or willing to learn, or not willing to put in the time to solve issues then you will be less likely to succeed.

• You can try vestacp and cyberpanel.

Thanked by 2MrH vovler
  • @goatboynz said: I have a large website that I cant host with a hoster anymore and need to move it to its own VPS.

How large is "large"?

There are pretty big shared hosting accounts available. If I were you, my first inclination would be to look for a sufficiently big shared hosting account, but if "large" is really large, then this possibility might indeed be less feasible.

• WHTWHT Member
    edited February 2018

Just install cPanel on your VPS do not go with free panels as you will not get any support if things brake.
    Just sell one adspot on your website or ask your visitors for a small donation and am sure you will cover the cPanel fees.

• @goatboynz said:
    I have a VPS for it but I don't know what the best way to go about installing and setting it up.

You could pay someone to setup the VPS for you and help move the site

• mrclownmrclown Member
    edited February 2018

I hope someone can offer you VPS Hosting (installed with cpanel and whm) together, I have seen some offers in WHT.

Example:
    https://www.arvixe.com/vps_virtual_private_servers_hosting

I am not recommending that one or suggesting to choose. Just reference.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

You sound like me. When I try to learn something new I get this mental block that stops me. I finally learned how to get around it, for myself at least:

Define one small goal. Like "I want this server to return something when I visit the IP in a web browser." Do that, celebrate, define next goal. Set realistic goals for yourself as check points and then you won't feel compelled to solve the entire problem in one move.

• Well what kind of site is it? I mean it is wordpress? Custom php? bunch of static html pages? A web application?

• Sounds like you need a managed VPS with cpanel. If the site is so big that shared platforms are not an option than it should be affordable. Don't learn Linux for first time on a production site that's just asking for trouble

• If windows can works with your site then buy a VPS with one time windows license is cheaper for long therm use.

• >

How large is "large"?

There are pretty big shared hosting accounts available. If I were you, my first inclination would be to look for a sufficiently big shared hosting account, but if "large" is really large, then this possibility might indeed be less feasible.

Please, name some of the largest shared hosting account firms.

• Thanks for all your input and offers. After talking more with my old host thy worked a deal out for me.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@goatboynz said:
    Thanks for all your input and offers. After talking more with my old host thy worked a deal out for me.

You can purchase cPanel Solo license which is especially made for hosting few website. Price is $4 ~ $5/mo and you can purchase it directly from cPanel store.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@DewlanceVPS said:

You can purchase cPanel Solo license which is especially made for hosting few website. Price is $4 ~ $5/mo and you can purchase it directly from cPanel store.

Where do you see it that cheap? I'm seeing $15/mo, which basically gives you no benefit over a VPS license

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • You can get cPanel VPS license from buycpanel whtspecial for cheaper than SOLO license from cPanel store

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@Harambe said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

Where do you see it that cheap? I'm seeing $15/mo, which basically gives you no benefit over a VPS license

Price increased ;(

Few days ago, Price was $4 ~ $5/mo. I don't know why they increase price of cPanel solo license.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@DewlanceVPS said:

>

Few days ago, Price was $4 ~ $5/mo. I don't know why they increase price of cPanel solo license.

That sucks. For $4-5 I'd actually grab a license to play around with more, but at $15 it moves out of impulse buy territory to where I have to be able to justify the monthly bill.

• jarland said: "I want this server to return something when I visit the IP in a web browser." Do that, celebrate, define next goal. Set realistic goals for yourself as check points and then you won't feel compelled to solve the entire problem in one move

instructions unclear sir, ended up with corporate tag on WHT

• @jarland said:
    You sound like me. When I try to learn something new I get this mental block that stops me. I finally learned how to get around it, for myself at least:

Define one small goal. Like "I want this server to return something when I visit the IP in a web browser." Do that, celebrate, define next goal. Set realistic goals for yourself as check points and then you won't feel compelled to solve the entire problem in one move.

That is some hot advice.
    I do the same actually. I am building the site a section at a time. Right now I am making the people facing side of the blog.

• What platform is the site on? If it's wordpress, drupal, joomla or another well know and mature CMS, easy migration tools are available.

• @huntercop said:
    What platform is the site on? If it's wordpress, drupal, joomla or another well know and mature CMS, easy migration tools are available.

escrow required

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @WSS said:

@huntercop said:
    What platform is the site on? If it's wordpress, drupal, joomla or another well know and mature CMS, easy migration tools are available.

escrow required

Of course, but remember, baby steps.