Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an extremely low-end box for UptimeFlare
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for an extremely low-end box for UptimeFlare

Hello all,

I'm thinking of setting up UptimeFlare for the few VPSs that serve my static website to hopefully get close to 100% availability on the cheap. As far as I know, UptimeFlare has to be self-hosted. To that end, I have two questions:

1. Are there any managed services like UptimeFlare to automatically perform DNS failover with some kind of API? I don't need to use Cloudflare or UptimeRobot if there is one; I'd prefer the service to be somewhat professionally hosted no matter what it uses.

2. Will UptimeFlare work on shared hosting? I can get something cheap through @mikho (my current provider) at a different datacenter than any of my hosts, which I'd prefer to hosting this on any of the existing boxes that I have.

Thanks!

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

If its only a php file it should work with shared hosting.

• @mikho Are you planning on expanding your NAT VPS offerings to your Amsterdam or Phoenix shared hosting locations in the future? If not, I'll grab one of them for the monitor.

@AnthonySmith does LES in Phoenix.

If I can find a good deal in Amsterdam I will consider it.

• Thanks. I'd prefer the monitor to not be in the same datacenter as any of my boxes through you for redundancy's sake. I'll grab the free Phoenix plan, then.

all free spots are taken. pretty sure you can spend $3/year on a shared hosting plan :)

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited February 2018

Are there any managed services like UptimeFlare to automatically perform DNS failover with some kind of API? I don't need to use Cloudflare or UptimeRobot if there is one; I'd prefer the service to be somewhat professionally hosted no matter what it uses.

AWS Route 53 can do this and if you'd like to you can also replace the uptimerobot with AWS healthchecks (IIRC around 8 locations).

I'm personally using this for e-mail service active-active failover.

Costs are as follows (per month):

DNS zone hosting - 0.5$

2 non-AWS endpoint healthchecks with 30 second request interval - 2*0.75$

• r4h156r4h156 Member
    edited February 2018

@Makenai Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll probably go with a shared plan for now. This seems more expensive, and I'm trying to keep this functional on the cheap.

• @r4h156 said:
    @Makenai Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll probably go with a shared plan for now. This seems more expensive, and I'm trying to keep this functional on the cheap.

Grab a NAT from @mikho

• My website is already on those, haha. I'm going to be grabbing a shared plan from mikho in a few days for the failover scripts after I test Uptime Robot out.