Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Rules for selling on LowEndTalk [UPDATED 10th Feb 2018]

Rules for selling on LowEndTalk [UPDATED 10th Feb 2018]

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Administrator, Top Provider
edited February 10 in Announcements

Last Update 10th Feb 2018

Posting offers

These rules are in place to both protect the members of this community as well as requiring a certain participation before people can start posting offers.

If you PM me and ask for the provider tag, I'll know you haven't read this. I'll also assume that you don't care about our community.

• Members must have 15 (none spammy) posts and have been registered for 30 days to be allowed to post in this forum.
  • Members must be approved by a member of staff before being able to post offers.
  • You must have a website with a proper ordering system. "Email me to get this deal" does not count.
    • For currency other than USD, use the foreign exchange on the day of posting to verify the cost fits the requirement and post the exchange rate of that day.
    • Do not list packages that do not pass the pricing test, even if you have one or more that do.
    • List the final price after any discounts/coupons. Just the discount percentage is not enough.
  • Maximum 1 offer thread per provider per 10 days.(Change from 14 days on a 3 month trial, user feedback will be taken in April More frequent than that would be regarded as SPAM and the thread(s) will be removed.
  • Using a nulled WHMCS grants you a lifetime ban on LowEndBox and LowEndTalk.
  • Providers need to display valid Public WHOIS information on their domain OR provide proof of company registration (publicly accessible on the website of your country's commerce authority).
  • It is not allowed to respond to threads requesting an offer with "PM me" or "e-mail me" without having had a public thread on LowEndTalk.com with your provider details in it (in accordance with our guidelines) OR a public statement of which company you represent.
  • No unlimited in offers! This means you can not ever feature unlimited disk space. If you offer unlimited bandwidth you need to specify the limiting factor and whether it's shared with other people or not! Naturally, having unlimited features (like the number of mailboxes) is allowed.

• You need to be manually approved in order to post offers in addition to complying with the above rules! Please contact staff using the help desk. Providing links to all requirements will speed up your approval.

• For a simple 'Host Rep' account without the ability to post offers the main provider tagged account should apply for this on your behalf. 'Host Reps' are for providing updates, general communication, representation, and pre-sales but may not directly post offers, signatures must reflect who they represent. actions by your representatives will impact the main provider account so do not abuse this function.

• Please be informative in your offers. Please list out basic specifications (amount of memory, storage space, monthly data/bandwidth and port speed), virtualization method (Xen, OpenVZ, KVM, etc), data center location and a test IP would be ideal.

• VPS Re-sellers and re-sellers of dedicated servers do not qualify to post offers if this is your primary service offering if all you are doing is selling products users can buy directly and marking the price up with no value added extras or discounts anyone found doing this will have their provider tag removed or denied.

• If you are reselling VPS/Dedicated as a secondary or primary offering or because you have access to cheap deals to resell that are not available as standard due to language barriers or another very good reason, that is fine but you must make it clear in the offer post that you are a re-seller, you must be pre-approved by a mod/admin to post resold offers, please use the support desk and provide your justification.

• Low End offers only. Currently, a price point must be met

• Regardless of term no VPS offer may exceed the equivalent of $7/month over 12 months i.e. $84
    • VPS must not exceed USD$7/month recurring on monthly billing, with no setup fee, or
    • VPS must not exceed USD$15/year recurring on annual billing, with no setup fee, if the provider has been in business for less than a year, or
    • VPS must not exceed USD$48/year on annual billing, if not recurring then renewal price MUST be specified at the time of offer and must be up to or under $7/month equivalent, with no setup fee, if the provider has been in business for more than a year, or

• Dedicated must not exceed USD$84/month recurring on monthly billing, with no setup fee. (price change is on a 3 month trial, user feedback will be taken in April)

• Only monthly pricing for dedicated servers!

Shared Hosting Offers

• You must already be approved to post in the offer forum (Provider title). Seek approval at our help desk.
  • You must be a registered LET member for 6 months.
  • You must provide VPS products, not ONLY provide shared hosting.
  • You must have a minimum of 30 posts (not spammy).
  • You cannot post unlimited storage offers.
  • One offer post is allowed every 14 days (shared/VPS offers not counted on the same timer)
  • Price rules are the same as VPS however even yearly offers must be recurring.
  • If posting VPS/shared offer in one thread, keep shared hosting references minimal in subject and post in regular Offers forum.
  • As of 10th Feb 2018 LET is not taking applications for shared only providers, existing hosts grandfathered.

Domain Auctions & Sales

• Auction Start/Reserve price can not be set above $7
  • All bids must be public and made in the domain auction topic
  • Members can only list 1 domain auction thread per 30 days
  • All domain auction threads are set to "sink" after 24 hours so replies no longer bump them to the top of the forum
  • Members must have 25 posts and have been registered for 14 days to be allowed to list a domain sale
  • Domain needs to be at least 6 months old
  • A deal is a deal. A failure to actually sell/transfer the domains after having offered them on action will have consequences for you at LowEndTalk. A failure to respond or finish the transaction in a decent matter (or at all) as the highest bidder may also have consequences for you at LowEndTalk.
  • We don't hold any responsibility for potential disputes between two parties. Participating in auctions is at your own risk.
  • You may not sell domains for a virtual currency if you chose to make separate arrangement outside of LET for payment in crypto, no complaints of none payment or transfer will be considered in any way shape or form by the staff here.

Other offers, which may not fit into the above categories, may be listed on a case-by-case basis with our permission. The requirements for these offers are: at least registered for 14 days, a minimum of 25 posts and maximum of one offer per 30 days with our permission. Depending on the type of offer, standard VPS pricing and other guidelines may also apply.

Comments

• Strange. Not sure I get why the bar is set higher for shared hosting providers than vps providers (registered for 6 months vs 30 days).

And you can't post shared hosting offers if you don't also offer VPSes? Might have to revoke some provider tags if you're going to enforce that.

• Thanks for updating this @AnthonySmith :-) Wasn't in the most obvious of places before!

NVMe KVM VPS in Amsterdam, Stockholm and LA ($2.50/1GB RAM/10GB NVMe/month) (AFF LINK)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Administrator, Top Provider
    edited January 31

MasonR said: Strange. Not sure I get why the bar is set higher for shared hosting providers than vps providers (registered for 6 months vs 30 days).

That's not new :), for clarity afaik it was like that spanning back to 2014, it was supposed to be for LET established VPS hosts to also be able to offer shared hosting as a little bolt on.

MasonR said: And you can't post shared hosting offers if you don't also offer VPSes? Might have to revoke some provider tags if you're going to enforce that.

Neither is that, and it is being looked into.

It has just been made clearer due to the number of 12-year-olds with a $5 cPanel reseller account and WHMCS applying for provider tags.

I did discuss the idea of allowing shared only hosts with the rest of the staff with a much higher bar set for entry, it was a big fat no vote with the concern it would take away from the core value, being the VPS market

• AidanAidan Member

MasonR said: Strange. Not sure I get why the bar is set higher for shared hosting providers than vps providers (registered for 6 months vs 30 days).

As shared hosting is a whole lot tougher to get right than selling VPS's.

Thanked by 2MasonR coreflux
  • @Aidan said:

As shared hosting is a whole lot tougher to get right than selling VPS's.

As demonstrated by the ongoing alphawoot saga. :P

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • MasonRMasonR Member
    edited January 31

@AnthonySmith said:

That's not new :), for clarity afaik it was like that spanning back to 2014, it was supposed to be for LET established VPS hosts to also be able to offer shared hosting as a little bolt on.

Ahh okay. I supposed I never thoroughly read through the rules to sell before. Makes sense.

MasonR said: And you can't post shared hosting offers if you don't also offer VPSes? Might have to revoke some provider tags if you're going to enforce that.

Neither is that, and it is being looked into.

It has just been made clearer due to the number of 12-year-olds with a $5 cPanel reseller account and WHMCS applying for provider tags.

I see, I didn't think about that aspect. Definitely makes sense. Especially with the number of master alpha beta gamma resellers we hear complaints from when their provider goes to crap.

• NeoonNeoon Member

"Top Provider"

• Hail Tony!!!

• WSSWSS Member

..and I get shit for derailing?

I still don't see how this works for, say, contract coders, admins, et al..

This place just isn't the same; You know where to find me if you want me.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Provider

$84/mo for dedicated servers?

Why the raise? I think $49/mo was good enough.

Current Offer: Panama VPS | Japan VPS (SoftBank DC, Tokyo) | India VPS (Mumbai DC) VPSBit.com - Lithuania & HK VPS | 2Sync.co - Multi-location VPS | ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in Exotic Locations!

• NekkiNekki Member

@WSS said: I still don't see how this works for, say, contract coders, admins, et al..

Is it supposed to?

• NekkiNekki Member

@BlaZe said: $84/mo for dedicated servers?

Why the raise? I think $49/mo was good enough.

6 months ago, I’d have agreed with you.

3 months ago I bought a server for roughly $96/month because it was such a cracking deal.

Plenty of folks paid in excess of $49 for those lovely Hetzner deals last year.

Maybe we should give it a try, and see how it works?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

BlaZe said: Why the raise? I think $49/mo was good enough.

To avoid seeing the dump stock of barely working, 5 years or longer EOL, stock only with a mix of OVH and Hetzner all the time in a loop.

Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

Thanked by 3Aidan Junkless BlaZe
  • NeoonNeoon Member

@WSS said: ..and I get shit for derailing?

Depends on content, premium memes are not supposed to derail.

• NekkiNekki Member

@Neoon said:

@WSS said: ..and I get shit for derailing?

Depends on content, premium memes are not supposed to derail.

You may have an overly high opinion of your capabilities in that regard.

• NeoonNeoon Member
    edited January 31

@Nekki said: You may have an overly high opinion of your capabilities in that regard.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 31

So if I do not decide to offer VPS aside from Shared Hosting I will not be able to post offers anymore? Seems like this is it for me. I only offer webhosting/webdesign and occasionally move clients who require it to a vps although I do not sell vps as a standalone product but rather redirect my clients to a fitting vps host and move/manage their website there respectively.

Thanked by 3uptime MasonR FHR
  • @clouvider be first let provider giving price over $49 post your deals

@robohost said: @clouvider be first let provider giving price over $49 post your deals

Nothing matching in stock at the moment, sorry :(

Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

Well if someone has a Dual E5 - 128GB 8 x SAS server with raid 10 for $79 they cant post it and it would be an amazing deal (leaseweb for example), the new dedi price is just a trial and not one I imagine will last, users will get their say.

It also helps to find deals in less common places like asia/australia.

If it turns out that the same old EOL crap just goes up in price here and that's the only effect, then yes it will be reverted.

give it a chance.

• @AnthonySmith Any response for my concern (see above)?

Thanked by 1uptime
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited January 31

@Nekki said:

@WSS said: I still don't see how this works for, say, contract coders, admins, et al..

Is it supposed to?

Beats me, but Anthony said there were changes underway to answer my pretend-complaint. See also @Ympker's statement.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 31

@Ympker said: @AnthonySmith Any response for my concern (see above)?

Perhaps you will qualify for a fine fine superfine "LET Outlaw" flair ?

Thanked by 2Ympker coreflux
  • NekkiNekki Member

@Neoon said:

@Nekki said: You may have an overly high opinion of your capabilities in that regard.

Ok, I’ll give you that one.

• uptimeuptime
    LET Outlaw

/me LET Outlaw

Ympker said: @AnthonySmith Any response for my concern (see above)?

It is not a rule I introduced, not sure when it was I will have a chat with the rest of the staff and PM you, no immediate cause for concern.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @AnthonySmith said:

It is not a rule I introduced, not sure when it was I will have a chat with the rest of the staff and PM you, no immediate cause for concern.

Alright.

in case anyone wondered about the new dedi price on trial, it was just an arbitrary $7*12 as there are no metrics to see what would work, so it may stay, it may be altered it may be completely reverted.

if the impact is negative, it will be changed accordingly.

• teamaccteamacc Moderator

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

Is it supposed to?

Beats me, but Anthony said there were changes underway to answer my pretend-complaint. See also @Ympker's statement.

You might've mis-interpreted the reply you got. Basically, if someone from OVH registers here, they can get a "provider employee" kind of tag (is the plan). No real plans for anyone not in the hosting industry for now afaik.

Yo mama so fat each of her butt-cheeks has its own /8.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 31

@teamacc said: You might've mis-interpreted the reply you got. Basically, if someone from OVH registers here, they can get a "provider employee" kind of tag (is the plan). No real plans for anyone not in the hosting industry for now afaik.

So, basically, anyone who has a Provider tag now is grandfathered in, then?

I'm reading your statement as somewhat the opposite of Anthonys', where I see yours as "Hosts/Resellers only", whereas software developers, et al have had them in the past.

I'm not trying to be a dick, because on the whole- I don't really care. I just don't quite follow..

E: I understand the "Works For" tag. My question isn't regarding that. :)

Thanked by 1uptime
  • jarlandjarland Provider

@AnthonySmith said:

Unless someone changed my initial rules (or I did and forgot), the shared hosting offer rules were basically cut and paste from a google forms survey (which I can no longer locate for some reason) in which I let LET choose the rules.

Thanked by 2Ympker coreflux
    edited January 31

In simple terms, the rules to get a provider tag have not actually changed, except a few more posts and time registered.

The new tag is available for people representing hosts as described in the rules, the only real difference is that they cannot post offers, that is reserved for the primary provider, there can be more than 1 provider tag for hosting companies though that is fine.

The host rep is for sales/general support staff and probably makes sense for contractors as well.

In terms of people only providing shared hosting, that is an anomaly, no plans to remove those that are already active and in that situation, but new hosts doing shared only probably won't get a tag.

Thanked by 4WSS MasonR jarland Ympker
    edited January 31

jarland said: Unless someone changed my initial rules (or I did and forgot), the shared hosting offer rules were basically cut and paste from a google forms survey (which I can no longer locate for some reason) in which I let LET choose the rules.

All I did was copy paste and edit in the few changes, I did not remove anything that would have covered that (shared hosting), personally I don't see a big deal with having shared only hosts but the general consensus was not if they don't provide VPS's as well, I looked back over some tickets on the help desk, seems a few have been rejected long before I took over.

May just be something that was never set in stone and was on a case by case.

edit: Generally I don't see an issue with case by case, if someone is providing something of value to the community, then it would be silly to just have an arbitrary block on that.

edited January 31

FAT32 said: Just to be fair, shared hosting rule doesn't exist prior to 14 Jan 2018

Yes, my initial interpretation of it was that it was fine to be a shared only host as long as you had a longer track record, others was that it was for people that already had a provider tag and by extension must have already been offering VPS products and I yielded to that.

I cant say it is a rule that has ever impacted me 1 way or the other, we will have a chat and fix it so it is clear, the goal was never to marginalize current shared only providers, we probably just did not consider it enough.

• WSSWSS Member

@AnthonySmith said: The host rep is for sales/general support staff and probably makes sense for contractors as well.

How will this work, then? It seems like quite a bit of overhead not only to obtain, but to possibly keep any notice of- contracts expire and how is the LET staff to know when someone no longer represents a company? The "Affiliated With / Represents / Works For" tag seems like more trouble than it's worth to implement.

edited January 31

overhead for who?

Let's say I employ you as a contractor, I want you to field sales and general queries, I put in a ticket and ask for you to get a rep tag and you update your signature accordingly.

It is 3 - 4 minutes of work max, if you stop working for me, I apply to get it removed, no big deal.

If the host in question does not bother to update us, then that is on them.

The process is simple and already implemented, again if it turns out to be a negative impact we will just revert it, no big deal.

I have never been someone that does not try or test things because of what might happen (with a degree of common sense applied).

Thanked by 1WSS
  • jarlandjarland Provider

WSS said: How will this work, then? It seems like quite a bit of overhead not only to obtain, but to possibly keep any notice of- contracts expire and how is the LET staff to know when someone no longer represents a company?

I mean it's nothing new. People have been asking for the provider tag for their other employees for a long time, and most of us have granted it when they asked. It was always up to them to request any future changes, unless something happened to catch our eye while browsing a thread that we thought might need to be changed.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • LeeLee Member
    edited January 31

It would also be good to have a dedicated server category to make it easier to find those specific deals instead of trawling through VPS offers.

"It's better to be at the bottom of a ladder you want to climb, than halfway up one you don't."

• HoostHoost Member, Provider

@Lee said: It would also be good to have a dedicated server category to make it easier to find those specific deals instead of trawling through VPS offers.

This is cool but I think there needs to be a clear understanding of how active the category is going to be in terms of providers before implementing, otherwise it may just turn into a category that only has two or three companies posting and clogging it up. I assume this is where the new Dedi price point rule comes into affect though, to draw some others in.

Michael From Ho-ost | Social at HoostSolutions

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 31

@AnthonySmith said: Let's say I employ you as a contractor, I want you to field sales and general queries, I put in a ticket and ask for you to get a rep tag and you update your signature accordingly.

@jarland said: I mean it's nothing new. People have been asking for the provider tag for their other employees for a long time, and most of us have granted it when they asked. It was always up to them to request any future changes, unless something happened to catch our eye while browsing a thread that we thought might need to be changed.

Ok. This makes sense. I was still under the idea that people could apply for their own tag and the Provider would ACK/NAK. But if you're self employed, and are B2B, rather than B2C, it doesn't apply.. as I'm reading it?

Again, not trying to be intentionally obtuse, just making sure.

@Lee said: It would also be good to have a dedicated server category to make it easier to find those specific deals instead of trawling through VPS offers.

I like this, but at the same time, yeah. If we still had our $49/mo limit, it'd be nothing but CC resellers and sometimes Gordon.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

WSS said: Ok. This makes sense. I was still under the idea that people could apply for their own tag and the Provider would ACK/NAK. But if you're self employed, and are B2B, rather than B2C, it doesn't apply.. as I'm reading it?

Yup, I probably should have written more clarity around it but I also wanted to edit as little as possible.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • LeeLee Member

WSS said: I like this, but at the same time, yeah. If we still had our $49/mo limit, it'd be nothing but CC resellers and sometimes Gordon.

Perhaps, as it is right now I have no idea what dedicated offers there have been in the last couple of months. At least a separate section would make it clearer.

"It's better to be at the bottom of a ladder you want to climb, than halfway up one you don't."

• WSSWSS Member

@Lee said:

WSS said: I like this, but at the same time, yeah. If we still had our $49/mo limit, it'd be nothing but CC resellers and sometimes Gordon.

Perhaps, as it is right now I have no idea what dedicated offers there have been in the last couple of months. At least a separate section would make it clearer.

They've been pretty much tSoS; but with these raised limits, I'm interested to see just who might be interested in coming to LET to make offers. It'd be nice to have some fresh blood and more transits!

• LeeLee Member
    edited January 31

It certainly opens the field, time will tell if it attracts providers. I mean there are still providers who fit into the old pricing that post offers on VPSB despite it clearly being a dead forum, but that is better to some than coming here, LET is associated too much to abuse hence they don't want the association.

Thanked by 1WSS
    edited January 31

@WSS said:

@Lee said:

They've been pretty much tSoS; but with these raised limits, I'm interested to see just who might be interested in coming to LET to make offers. It'd be nice to have some fresh blood and more transits!

I could make an E3 offer for a change more often rather than just waiting for an I3 to become available to make one (which was like over half a year ago as per my sig). Plenty of transits here if that’s what you’re after ;-)

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

@Clouvider said: I could make an E3 offer for a change more often rather than just waiting for an I3 to become available to make one (which was like over half a year ago as per my sig). Plenty of transits here if that’s what you’re after ;-)

I'd ask for a @Nekki special, but I'm afraid you'd give me something I couldn't afford to not have. :D

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • MadMad Member, Provider
    edited February 1

Dedicated must not exceed USD$84/month recurring on monthly billing, with no setup fee. (price change is on a 3 month trial, user feedback will be taken in April)

According to me it makes no sense.
    These are not "LowEnd.." offers anymore and most of the providers would fit in it.
    The ideal one should be USD$59-69/month

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith