Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPSByCall: free VPS over the phone [1.5 GB RAM, 20 GB HDD, 100 Mbps unmetered]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPSByCall: free VPS over the phone [1.5 GB RAM, 20 GB HDD, 100 Mbps unmetered]

Hello LET! I'm new here. I hope it's acceptable if I use this way to tell you guys about our new service VPSByCall which we launched today. We've developed it to allow everyone to get a free VPS by listening to advertisements over the phone. The good thing is that our numbers are normal landline (a.k.a. fixed-line) numbers and are free to call for you if you are in charge of an unlimited/included minutes plan (this is what makes the VPS free!). If you already have such a plan or have unused national or international minutes you can now actually transform them into a VPS!

Currently we have numbers in Germany, the UK and the US, but we can add more countries if there is demand.

The specs of each VPS are 1x CPU 1.2 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM (guaranteed!), 20 GB HDD, 1 IPv4 address and 100 Mbps unmetered bandwidth (yup!). SolusVM control panel & choice of Debian, CentOS or Ubuntu. We're using OpenVZ. Server location is Frankfurt, Germany.

Each VPS is 5000 credits per month which, in the example of Germany, is equal to 4166 minutes.

I'd like to point to our FAQ which explains how it works: https://www.vpsbycall.com/faq

Questions, comments and feedback is appreciated!

We hope to have created something new and useful for you guys and we would appreciate if you spread the word if you like our service. :)

You can join here: http://www.VPSByCall.com

Thanked by 1JasonM

Comments

• You sir have come up with the dumbest idea in the world! So you want me to listen to 70 hours of ads a month to get a free VPS? This is literally one of the dumbest things I have ever heard...

Thanked by 2WSWD Ght
  • Fuck me, nearly 3 days of ads for a months worth of VPS. Absolutely mental.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited September 2013

Time is valuable, so no.

• @Spencer We think it's pretty cool (obviously) because it allows you to transform your unlimited plan into something useful. Fortunately for you we cannot control whether you are connected and have your phone on mute or if you are really listening for 70 hours. :)

• @VPSByCall said:
    Spencer We think it's pretty cool (obviously) because it allows you to transform your unlimited plan into something useful. Fortunately for you we cannot control whether you are connected and have your phone on mute or if you are really listening for 70 hours. :)

Are you fucking insane? Who the hell would sit on the phone for 3 days straight for a virtual product not even worth $1-2?

• @awson Why 3 days straight? You could call for a few hours every day over a period of 30 days. And using a VoIP or Skype plan you can do it with the click of a mouse button.

• And how much do you get to play these ads? probably 10 times worth the product itself... considering it's 70 hours worth of ads.

• GTFO, that is all.

• @VPSByCall said:
    Fortunately for you we cannot control whether you are connected and have your phone on mute or if you are really listening for 70 hours. :)

So you are insinuating that nobody will actually listen and that advertisers aren't getting any money out of it as nobody hears their ads?

• awsonawson Member
    edited September 2013

@VPSByCall said:
    And using a VoIP or Skype plan you can do it with the click of a mouse button.

Yeah, except unlimited Skype plans are ~$5 while your VPS is worth no more than $2.

Oh, and http://www.skype.com/en/legal/fair-usage/

• ROFL, found this in their FAQ and about lost it:
    "You can call as often as you like, but we are limiting each call to 60 to 120 minutes."

So not only is that ridiculous, but you would need to call back every two hours as well. Not like you can just leave it for 3 days and it goes. This is a joke. You would spend a month listening to ads before you would even see the server which as mentioned before is like a $1-2 item for 3 days of your time.

Cheers!

• @Spencer No. The ads are repeating and there are not that many yet, so you will listen to the same ads over and over. The advertisers are aware of this and thus pay verrry little. This is why users have to call for so long.

• @Ishaq No, actually they pay very little and we keep about 30% profit only.

• @awson Yeah, this is why we say: if you already have such a plan, it can make sense. And why do people keep saying our VPS are worth 1-2 USD? Where can you find a VPS with these specs and 100 unmetered bandwidth for 1-2 USD or even 5 USD? I'm thinking nowhere.

• @TheLinuxBug If you check a bit in the telecom world, you will find out that most providers cut your call after 120 minutes and you have to redial. This is where part of that limitation comes from. Also it is there to prevent abuse.

• 70 hours on an unlimited phone plan won't fall under fair use...

• @Frost Right, 70 hours are not problematic at all. If you'd call 10 hours a day then that's different. :)

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited September 2013

free VPS

hmmm....
    the value of 70 hours:
    US minimum hourly wage: $7.25 x 70 = $507.50
    US average hourly earnings: $24.05 x 70 = $1,683.50

Hey moderators, VPSByCall's offer is waaaay over the $7 limit! :P

• @DomainBop Skype unlimited plan: 5 USD < 7 USD. ;)

• skaska Member
    edited September 2013

@VPSByCall said:
    DomainBop Skype unlimited plan: 5 USD < 7 USD. ;)

Skype ToS:

Skype’s subscriptions are for individual use only (personal or business communications) in accordance with our Terms of Use and this FUP (“Legitimate Use”). The following is a non-exhaustive list of practices that would not be considered Legitimate Use:

• Calling numbers (whether singly, sequentially or automatically) to generate income for yourself or others as a result of placing the call, other than for your individual business communications (and subject to Section 4.1 of the Terms of Use);

Hint: As a business, suggesting people to break others companies ToS for you own gain is something that might get quite expensive for you.

Thanked by 1jamson
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I like you. Most people would have done the math and dropped the idea before even getting beyond the planning stage. But you? You've gone live and you're defending it. Is that you, 3jelly?

• DomainBop Skype unlimited plan: 5 USD < 7 USD. ;)

Where is this deal at!

• Grab some popcorns before reading this thread, its intertainment.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited September 2013

@VPSByCall said:
    TheLinuxBug If you check a bit in the telecom world, you will find out that most providers cut your call after 120 minutes and you have to redial.

I'm a telco (legacy) engineer, I've never heard of that -- in the US anyhow. If your call is 1 minute or 1000, it's all the same to us. There is no logical technical reason to do so. I'm curious where you got that from?

• @Microlinux said:
    I'm a telco (legacy) engineer, I've never heard of that -- in the US anyhow. If your call is 1 minute or 1000, it's all the same to us. There is no logical technical reason to do so. I'm curious where you got that from?

From experience. Here in Europe most providers are limiting calls to 120 minutes. If that's different in the US then that's great. The reason why providers are limiting the call duration is to prevent users racking up a huge bill in case they forget to hang up and I'm guessing there are billing reasons as well.

• This is funny. Quite funny in fact.

• @jarland said:
    I like you. Most people would have done the math and dropped the idea before even getting beyond the planning stage. But you? You've gone live and you're defending it. Is that you, 3jelly?

No idea who 3jelly is. Anyway, it's basically always the same: first there is a lot of flaming towards everything that's new and unusual, and then, once people understand that they can get something for free and really did the math they'll use it like crazy (or in our case: call like crazy). :)

• It isn't Free. If your like any normal person you value your time, even if its every 2 hours calling a number back, you still have to baby sit it. I believe this was the point @DomainBop was trying to make. Sure, I guess if your 15 and do not have a credit card and you have free phone minutes you may consider wasting your time to get it. Otherwise, I am not sure any sane person would choose listening to ads for 70 hours over spending $3-5 USD on the server.

Cheers!

• @ska No. I was not suggesting to break any TOS. I didn't familiarize myself with the Skype TOS. If what you cited is really their TOS then of course I would not recommend to use them for calling.

• This is even worse if you are in the US or UK He quotes rates for Germany which is 1.2 credits per minute but US and UK are only 0.8 credits. By my math that is over 100 hours ...