Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH BHS Runs out of IPs for week?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH BHS Runs out of IPs for week?

CrandolphCrandolph Member
edited January 2018 in Outages

Interestingly enough I ordered a new SYS dedi and tried to get additional IP's for proxmox + some KVM's, so I ordered a couple extra IP's.

After a while, it wasn't provisioning my IP and I opened a ticket and received this response:

"Hello,

We understand your situation but we have a lack of stock, we cannot deliver the extra IPs for now. The situation might be resolved by the end of this week.

For any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us through a support ticket or through our toll-free line at 1-844-768-7827. We’re here 24/7 to help you!

We thank you again for choosing SoyouStart,

Daniel
Customer Advocate
Make sure to visit our FAQ: http://docs.ovh.ca/en/faqs.html"

So apparently, there's going to be no IPs at BHS (maybe just BHS SYS), until "maybe the end of the week".

Guess I have to rig proxmox + my KVM to use only one public IP instead of them having their own, lol.

Side note: the official OVH issue ticket is here - http://travaux.ovh.com/?do=details&id=29623

Comments

• Happened before, cheap IPS and they are not infinite.

• It's not the first time that ovh run's out of IP's.

Just wait a few day's.

• @AuroraZ said:
    Happened before, cheap IPS and they are not infinite.

Yeah, they announced a while back the possibility of being able to use your own IPs on OVH services is coming (kind of here already).

• its better that way. let me know if you need help

• A few days is optimistic. A few weeks could also be the reality.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

The IPv4 is worldwide issue - shortage, as some people do use SEO and some companies just do waste whole /8 subnets.

The IPv6 is not fully 100% (or at least 90%) implemented yet as too many old devices/hardware can use IPv4 only.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Greetings, Necromancer.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Yes, let's bump a 6 month old thread to state something everybody on this forum already knows.

Thanked by 2mksh dedotatedwam
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

WebProject said: The IPv6 is not fully 100% (or at least 90%) implemented yet as too many old devices/hardware can use IPv4 only.

If we see a 40% global IPV6 usage by 2022 i'd be very surprised.

Realize there's a lot of ISP's that have way too much IPV4 addresses and aren't in an address crunch, so they're in no rush.

Canada is a great example of this. All of the big ISP's have literal millions of addresses, even though the regions they operate in will never, ever, have that many people. While some ISP's like Rogers, Bell (I think?), and Telus on some plans have IPV6, Shaw for instance doesn't and is in no rush to offer it (if they even can on their current routers).

A lot of people on those ISP's with it are on old modems so they won't get ipv6 for a long long time, if ever since modems don't normally get force retired.

Francisco

• BruceBruce Member

I was wondering about this the other day. the ISP I use seem likely to rollout IPv6 via CGNAT later this year (dual stack lite). they have 10 million IPv4 allocated by RIPE. a side-effect of deploying IPv6 this way is that most of their IPv4 will become unused. is that a nice way to get themselves a quick $100M by offloading the allocation

I'm sure there's plenty of providers that think about selling their IPs before the value drops (when IPv6 finally takes over). those who have under-utilised allocations that is

• @Francisco In your dreams. Bell only provides IPv6 over LTE (not on fibre/DSL). Unless you’re a business customer, you’re SOL.

• We have more then 50 mil Broadband users here in Pakistan ,
    Internet is much cheaper then many Gulf or Eu countries , ( Reliability is another issue)
    But not single one of them is IPV6 supported.

@doghouch said:
    @Francisco In your dreams. Bell only provides IPv6 over LTE (not on fibre/DSL). Unless you’re a business customer, you’re SOL.