Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you want a Windows VPS for?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What would you want a Windows VPS for?

john_kjohn_k Member
edited September 2013 in General

Sorry for my ignorance here. Although I use windows desktop for some tasks and apps, I'm a *nix guy.

I have a fair knowledge about what the businesses and companies are using their Windows Servers for. But I'm clueless when it comes to figure out what's the use people in the low end servers give to those VPSes. I need a bit of your help.

Perhaps a polling plugin would be great to have in LET. :)

You (or your customers) want a Windows VPS because ,

1) I want an always-on windoze and just can't have it at home for whatever reason.

2) I play multiplayer games and want to host servers to offer to friends and others.

3) Seed box of some kind, and linux VPS is difficult/boring/don't have the cool apps Windows has.

4) The VPS has much more power than my own PC, and I need CPU power to run my stuff. i.e. video encoding

5) _______________________________ .

6) _______________________________ .

7) _______________________________ .

Any takers?

Comments

• 5) I want to have an ASP.NET website
    6) I am very proficient in c# programming, and created a server program at home, but now i want to scale it to run on web for everyone and don't want to redo it in C++

1. Something to toss Windows Server on and play around with.
    2. Something to toss Windows Server and potentially Exchange, etc. on to play around with and learn how to set up.
  • Believe it or not, there is a sizable amount of people who use IIS and create web software designed to run on Windows. Crazy, right!

• I use my windows vps for ipmi ikvm, since it is basically broken on mac.

• for holding

• I just need Windows VPS for RDP. The IP will be whitelisted for my ssh connection to all of my other vps :)

• Running SEO softwares 24/7, or running cracked/nulled things without risking malware/virus infection on personal machine.

• Dotnet Nuke?

• .net hosting

• Remote Windows desktop, kind of "cloud" laptop ;)

• I mostly use Windows VPS(es) for Forex Trading: automate forex trading, run strategy testing, etc.

• Hosting Asp.net sites, MS Sql server

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Cube World server package is only available on windows.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

My dedi has a java ipmi that ONLY works in windows. I know it's crazy, but I dare anyone to troubleshoot a cs24-sc BMC with Linux or Mac. So I require a windows vps because I'm certainly not running Windows locally ;)

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited September 2013

@Jarland what? I thought the whole point of Java is that it should work on everything, platform independent and all that.

• I use mine for Playing around and RemoteApp.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2013

@rds100 said:
    Jarland what? I thought the whole point of Java is that it should work on everything, platform independent and all that.

Been scratching my head on it for a while. 6, 7, windows, mac, Linux, doesn't seen to matter. Only works in windows. It's such a custom board too so despite similarities to other models, no BMC firmware upgrade.

• I've never been able to mount an ISO through a SuperMicro IPMI without Windows, for what it's worth. It's super annoying.

• Latronix KVMs have issues with Java 7 on Windows for me. They seem to lock up after 10-15 minutes of usage.

• Great answers, Thanks!

What I get here is most people would use their windows VPS in almost a semi-professional way, like ASP and IIS website development, mssql and asp hosting, and a few others use it for playing with and learning windows server quirks.

So in the end, the needs for large resources, cpu ram, hd, in LET people are not too big.

I wonder is a windows VPS beyond 2GB ram, 30GB disk, is of any use to you.

As for the MSSQL and ASP hosting, do you need bigger VPS than 2-3GB? I'm not sure you would.

Cheers,
    J