Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a pocket router you can recommend? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there a pocket router you can recommend?

Comments

• @karatekidmonkey said:
    I've just picked up a GL-AR750

First, go to GL-Inet.com, and find your latest preferred firmware. For the GL-MT300A, there is "clean", "shadowsocks", and a third, which I can't recall based around a different VPN. Upgrade and update, then put in a ticket if you still have issues.

@nqservices said:
    GL-MT300N-V2 really seems to be a good option.. but I'm willing to pay a little more if I can find a similar router with faster VPN speeds.

I'd strongly suggest the MT300A, or better. The N has half the RAM. You're never going to get the speed you will from a dedicated PC/et al, but I've done over 20Mbit with my MT300A (first gen), and it's still going strong, although the reset button needs to be replaced (never worked)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • UnixfyUnixfy Member
    edited February 2018

WSS said: First, go to GL-Inet.com, and find your latest preferred firmware. For the GL-MT300A, there is "clean", "shadowsocks", and a third, which I can't recall based around a different VPN. Upgrade and update, then put in a ticket if you still have issues.

The AR750 only has a folder called v1 and the shadowsocks in there does not work. There is a 2.24 build in their testing firmwares, but it breaks the 5GhZ radio. I'll go ticket them.

Edit: After flashing the 2.24 firmware again via uboot, the issues no longer exist.

• @WSS said:

@nqservices said:
    GL-MT300N-V2 really seems to be a good option.. but I'm willing to pay a little more if I can find a similar router with faster VPN speeds.

I'd strongly suggest the MT300A, or better. The N has half the RAM. You're never going to get the speed you will from a dedicated PC/et al, but I've done over 20Mbit with my MT300A (first gen), and it's still going strong, although the reset button needs to be replaced (never worked)

Thanks for the advise. The MT300A seems better than the others. For now is my first option. But you also said: "or better". What's your advise on better?

• @nqservices said:
    Thanks for the advise. The MT300A seems better than the others. For now is my first option. But you also said: "or better". What's your advise on better?

That's the newest one I've owned. So far, I'm happy with it. There was a 300N, and another device which they created which works with 5.4Ghz, but just barely, as they avoid binary blobs. The MT300 series is probably the most stable, for what it's worth.

• @WSS said:
    That's the newest one I've owned. So far, I'm happy with it. There was a 300N, and another device which they created which works with 5.4Ghz, but just barely, as they avoid binary blobs. The MT300 series is probably the most stable, for what it's worth.

I will buy that (MT300A). I see they have the option for a model with external antennas. Do you think is worth it? Or the model with no external antennas has a good receiving and coverage?

Thanks

• WSSWSS Member
    edited February 2018

Mine is the external antenna model. You can remove and replace the dinky little antenna on it, but I just use the ones it came with. It works fine throughout the house, and fair coverage nearby outside.

• @WSS said:
    Mine is the external antenna model. You can remove and replace the dinky little antenna on it, but I just use the ones it came with. It works fine throughout the house, and fair coverage nearby outside.

Will it also work well if you remove the external antennas? Or without the external antennas the converage turns weak?

• No, and yes, it's weaker than having them. It'd probably work fine for an open studio, but it won't go through multiple walls very well without an antenna of sorts.

• nqservices said: Will it also work well if you remove the external antennas? Or without the external antennas the converage turns weak?

They aren't particularly powerful radios, but running any transmitter unloaded is generally not a good idea...

• Buy time = indecision time: GL-MT300A vs GL-AR300M

Any final advise? Pros vs Cons?

• The 300M is a newer product with the possibility of 128MB NAND, which is mostly useless unless you decide to extroot that, which is problematic for upgrades. The 300A is still technically on 15.01, but they've got a fork on GitHub (GL-Inet) and you can build your own for 17.01.x if you want.

Thanked by 2uptime nqservices
  • nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited February 2018

@WSS said:
    The 300M is a newer product with the possibility of 128MB NAND, which is mostly useless unless you decide to extroot that, which is problematic for upgrades. The 300A is still technically on 15.01, but they've got a fork on GitHub (GL-Inet) and you can build your own for 17.01.x if you want.

My first priority is the best speed with the build in OpenVPN feature. The GL-AR300M seems to have a little faster CPU. but nothing like real experience/testing

• The CPU is a bit better in the 300M, but I've not used my 300A for much more than OpenVPN and emergency failover. It can hold it's own, and (barely) fits in a pocket. You can also program the GPIOs on the 300M, where they're used for the SD interface on the 300A.

• @WSS said:
    The CPU is a bit better in the 300M, but I've not used my 300A for much more than OpenVPN and emergency failover. It can hold it's own, and (barely) fits in a pocket. You can also program the GPIOs on the 300M, where they're used for the SD interface on the 300A.

This router will only be used when im traveling (using hotel wifi), so I will not use it for nothing more than a router + openvpn. Really need something fast, reliable and easy to plug and use.

• @nqservices said:

@WSS said:
    The CPU is a bit better in the 300M, but I've not used my 300A for much more than OpenVPN and emergency failover. It can hold it's own, and (barely) fits in a pocket. You can also program the GPIOs on the 300M, where they're used for the SD interface on the 300A.

This router will only be used when im traveling (using hotel wifi), so I will not use it for nothing more than a router + openvpn. Really need something fast, reliable and easy to plug and use.

It's good for the last two, I don't know if i'd call it "Fast", since the by design it doesn't have active cooling, and the passive cooling is a little weak. I won't take a trip without my MT300A, though. It works as a repeater, a wireless client you can connect to a switch, etc.. and being OpenWRT based, it's just great.

I don't think I've ever had better than 33Mbit OpenVPN through it, but that was also a custom build for the CPU and embedtls, if memory serves. OpenVPN works just dandy, though- when it's not on the road, I use it to OVPN to other locations to watch video there- or, I did, before I got Plex'd up.

• Decision taken. Will buy the MT300A. Thanks!

• WSSWSS Member
    edited February 2018

FWIW, that 33MBit was ethernet-to-ethernet.

I need to ask alzhao (On GitHub as well) for a referral fee. I think I've indirectly sold 20 people on buying GL-Inet, and other than people too scared to use LuCI direct, I've had no complaints to date.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I will buy on Amazon so if you can get some referral link or any other way so you can get a percentage, for me all good. If you can get, send it to me.

• Haha. Thanks, but no need. I'm happy to get them more business, as they offer their code, and commit back to OpenWRT/LEDE.

Thanked by 2netomx NanoG6
  • @WSS said:
    Haha. Thanks, but no need. I'm happy to get them more business, as they offer their code, and commit back to OpenWRT/LEDE.

On your what firmware / software are you using, the factory default? Is it OpenWRT or LEDE?

• @nqservices the default firmware is LEDE. My GL-AR750 is running on LEDE 17.01. https://i.imgur.com/z7vq11e.png

GL.iNet includes a simplified interface by default but there is an "Advanced Settings" link in the upper right which will take you to LuCI.

Thanked by 1nqservices
  • @nqservices said:

@WSS said:
    Haha. Thanks, but no need. I'm happy to get them more business, as they offer their code, and commit back to OpenWRT/LEDE.

On your what firmware / software are you using, the factory default? Is it OpenWRT or LEDE?

The software is OpenWRT 15.x on the MT300A by default; they're working on bringing it to 17.x, but the default firmware is still 15.01(.1) on the 300A, unless they've done a recent build.

• I am using jio fi and getting very good connectivity at LTE network really working very nice
    too much satisfied with jio network , Try available in your area..

• So I’ve read this thread and I’ve decided I need one of these in my life.

Of course after a quick scour of Amazon, I want the one with the built-in battery and SIM card slot despite knowing it’s massive overkill (and that I don’t gave a data sim).

Thanked by 2Ympker WSS
  • luci-app-wireguard exist you know

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @Nekki said:
    Of course after a quick scour of Amazon, I want the one with the built-in battery and SIM card slot despite knowing it’s massive overkill (and that I don’t gave a data sim).

Did you found one with the build-in battery + SIM card?

• @michaels said:
    Huawei make most of the ones in the UK. The phone networks tend to rebrand them and cripple them a little bit. I had one in my car for a bit before I got unlimited data :)

Not tried it recently but it used to be possible to reflash them over USB if you could get hold of the generic dashboard/firemware for that model.

It's sometimes also possible to unlock them.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@nqservices said:

@Nekki said:

Yes, obviously, I wasn’t lusting over something that didn’t exist.

• @Nekki said:

@nqservices said:

@Nekki said:

Yes, obviously, I wasn’t lusting over something that didn’t exist.

The more interesting question: What model did you buy?