Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best tool to manage several WP sites.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best tool to manage several WP sites.

datanoisedatanoise Member
edited January 2018 in Help

Hey

I'm looking for the best tool to easily manage / keep updated several wordpress sites.

Wordpress MU would be an option but: users are created on the whole network, plugins are global, modification on a theme affects all websites. This is no big deal and fixes are possible but there has to be a better solution.

I did read great things about InfiniteWP. Are some guys here using this or another, better solution? Seems like it can also handle sites hosted externally, which can be useful.

Any other software you'd recommend me to check out? It has to be free (no money needed), and something "really" free (as in beer + as in freedom) would of course be preferred. Maybe WP MU + plugins is the best. Any inputs?

Thanks!

Comments

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

Checkout the Wordpress command line interface. I assume you can write some automation scripts with that.

Thanked by 2ElliotJ datanoise
  • MainWP https://mainwp.com/ is freemium, and the free tier has plenty for day to day management.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • WPremote is free, but I feel they won't last long.

ManageWP is free too if you just need update.

Jetpack and scripts installer inside cPanel all have auto update options.

For vps user, wp-cli with cron works fine.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • +1 for ManageWP.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • +1 for Mainwp the free version allows you to update unlimited sites (plugins and core)

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • I'd just add I have my Mainwp install on a subdomain with its own wordpress site. The login to that is secured with Duo. If you do this don't forget to install the Mainwp client plugin to keep that site up to date too

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @michaels said:
    I'd just add I have my Mainwp install on a subdomain with its own wordpress site. The login to that is secured with Duo. If you do this don't forget to install the Mainwp client plugin to keep that site up to date too

Yup - I have my server on a domain doesn't exist and only resolves from my local hosts file, with access locked down to my IP, wordfence, and a bunch of other measures. It would not be pretty if a hacker got into that particular server.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @intovps said:
    Checkout the Wordpress command line interface. I assume you can write some automation scripts with that.

I use this, its really easy to update any number of wordpress including plugin and themes.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • Plesk also has some nice WP integration

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • datanoise said: I'm looking for the best tool to easily manage / keep updated several wordpress sites.

Scripted use of http://wp-cli.org/ is easiest way. It's what I do for my Centmin Mod Wordpress auto installer and nginx vhost setups. WP-CLI is used to create and configure wordpress and Centmin Mod generates an auto cron script to update wordpress instance every 8 hrs via wp-cli command line.

Thanked by 1erkin
  • Thanks, will check all these options out.

Didn't consider scripting + wp-cli, it's probably the most efficient and could be very easy & powerful!

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited January 2018

squibs said: MainWP
    michaels said: Mainwp

This one seems cool as it's open source.

"Install, update, delete any plugin or theme on all your WordPress sites." Is it also possible to have different themes & plugins for each site or do you have to install everything globally? (Seems like it's possible to keep a different policy for each site, is that the case?)

• @datanoise said:

squibs said: MainWP
    michaels said: Mainwp

This one seems cool as it's open source.

"Install, update, delete any plugin or theme on all your WordPress sites." Is it also possible to have different themes & plugins for each site or do you have to install everything globally? (Seems like it's possible to keep a different policy for each site, is that the case?)

Every site can be completely independent with its own set of plugins and theme.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • abytecuriousabytecurious Member
    edited January 2018

MainWP is great. Easy to install and manage. The free plan is pretty good for most day to day activities.

Having said that since most of my VPSes run on centminmod (Thanks @eva2000), the core & plugins are always updated automatically.

Thanked by 2eva2000 datanoise
  • Wordpress.com, simply connect via Jetpack, you'll be set.

• ramesh_vish said: Having said that since most of my VPSes run on centminmod (Thanks @eva2000), the core & plugins are always updated automatically.

Glad to hear and yup not taking any chances = frequent wp auto updates every 8 hrs :)

• huntercophuntercop Member
    edited January 2018

https://runcloud.io works great for me. Check it out.

Mod edit: please don't disguise affiliate links.

• huntercop said: Check it out.

Aff link spam? Doesn't seem to be related to the original question...

Thanks to all the great answers though, experimenting now :)

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Turn auto-update on, it's a config option. Manage the sites with Jetpack.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @datanoise said:

huntercop said: Check it out.

Aff link spam? Doesn't seem to be related to the original question...

Thanks to all the great answers though, experimenting now :)

Not an aff spam, its an affiliate link period because I actually like the server and it directly services his needs. If you want a non-aff link, here you go. :)
    https://runcloud.io/

• edited January 2018

I worked with infinitewp works good but updating plugins does not always running smoothly

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • Only been using ManageWP since seeing this thread. Really impressed so far... $2/m for backups isnt bad either