Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mail and other stuff
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mail and other stuff

hammerhammer Member
edited January 2018 in Help

Hello Let
I got questions about mail and other stuff. Hopefully somebody or everybody can answer some or all of them. Warning the sarcasm is at the end.

1. If I use php and Mailgun to send out mail, would I need port 25 or what ever it is open?

2. What do I do to get an email address with my domain after the at symbol? I am registered with Name Cheap and love it.

3. Is Enginex easier to configure than Apache or more intuitive?

4. What are different methods of doing auth, login and registration in Laravel? I am trying to teach myself that now which is why mail can become important.

5. Is
    @Wss
    as smelly as aged cheese?

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

1) What is your outgoing port? Are you taking incoming mail? Not 25, and no, then.. No. You may still be filtered.

2) Uh.. what? You mean setup a mailserver? Yeah, you setup a mailserver or rent one. Some will let you forward email- It's called an "alias". NameSilo gives you a ton; Porkbun gives you a few. NameCheap, too.

3) That depends on what you're used to. I can throw Apache on anything in 4 seconds, but I don't remember nginx syntax for proxying and fpm - on the spot.

4) Never done.

5) Although you seem interested in tasting, much like aged cheese, you likely can't afford me.

1. No, port 25 is required only if you own a mail server. For an external mail server such as Mailgun, you need port either 587, 465, or if you are using the web API, port 443.

2. Wire me $250 and I'll give you your email address.

3. Not easier, not more intuitive. But if you don't need complicated htaccess rules, nginx is easier.

4. Fuck laravel, custom framework ftw!!!

5. Do not make fun of WSS's smell. He is too proud of that.

• mrclownmrclown Member
    edited January 2018

I think no 5 is dedicated to someone. Not much experience on no 3.

1. You are using php and no need the port to be opened on your server .but if that's blocked by your firewall for outgoing, you may need to. mailgun has different port for secure delivery (check mailgun)

2. Use Zoho (25 users free)

3. So much documents and tutorials to learn for Laravel. But I won't agree mail is as important as decades ago just by looking at how popular using phone number as primary registration in many consumer platforms.

Thanked by 1hammer
  • @WSS

server {
        proxy_pass http://example.com;
    }

Thanked by 1WSS
  • mrclown said: Use Zoho (25 users free)

I have a few domains there, but I don't like how they force you to register with a mobile number. I can't get new numbers just so I can add additional domains on zoho.

• @Harzem
    So far I am finding Laravel quite fun actually. Best thing in php my non-seeing eyes have seen so far.

Also no to number 2. Not rich enough for that.

@WSS
    would I need to pay extra to use my domain as an email like this:
    [email protected]

@mrclown
    I like some off topic just not the whole thread. Because we are all humans and humans go on tangents.

@Harzem
    So far I am finding Laravel quite fun actually. Best thing in php my non-seeing eyes have seen so far.

Also no to number 2. Not rich enough for that.

@WSS
    would I need to pay extra to use my domain as an email like this:
    [email protected]

@mrclown
    I like some off topic just not the whole thread. Because we are all humans and humans go on tangents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangent

• WSSWSS Member

@hammer Not if you set it up as an alias to Gmail/etc. If you want someone to host your email for you, that's not usually free.

Thanked by 1hammer
  • Oops epic post fail. I coppied and pasted twice.
    Also
    @mrclown

where are you seeing 25 free users.
    All I see is a free trial and I think it is for one user.
    Also seems way too good to be true.

It's offering all thos

• WSSWSS Member

MXRoute Classic is $5 for life. https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=65

• @hammer said:

Oops epic post fail. I coppied and pasted twice.
    Also
    @mrclown

where are you seeing 25 free users.
    All I see is a free trial and I think it is for one user.
    Also seems way too good to be true.

It's offering all thos

Check @ Free Plan, you can even get +25 (total 50) if you recommend some others

https://www.zoho.com/workplace/pricing.html

P.S. I am using them only for a few domains, no relationship with them.

• ramesh_vish said: I can't get new numbers just so I can add additional domains on zoho.

Exactly. They don't want you to have host all of your domain's email for free. Why not get a paid plan?

• Do yourself a favor. Sign up for ramnode Webhosting shared host. Forward your domains nameservers to them and setup email for your domain through them. Once your comfortable with how the domain dns "zones" work in cpanel you can consider alternatives to your email. For now learn about how to setup a site and get the domain email running. Shared hosting is meant for beginners take advantage of it. Get a raspberry pi and learn about setting up a server via ssh and securing it before getting a vps and trying to create everything from scratch.

• @sureiam
    Thanks for your ideas, but you are too late for the pi recommendation :).

I already got a vps and it's all LET's fault.

At first somewhat securing it is hard it took me the whole day at first, but the second time when I changed providers it was a bit easier.
    I think I am doing practicly everything faster about this thing now.

Still feel like a monkey on a keyboard but at least I am a faster monkey on a keyboard and somethings I actually am starting to get into my thick skull.

• Also, should I have on every jail of Fail2Ban by default?

• hzrhzr Member

hammer said: Also, should I have on every jail of Fail2Ban by default?

Just use ssh key only.

• @hammer said:
    @sureiam
    Thanks for your ideas, but you are too late for the pi recommendation :).

I already got a vps and it's all LET's fault.

At first somewhat securing it is hard it took me the whole day at first, but the second time when I changed providers it was a bit easier.
    I think I am doing practicly everything faster about this thing now.

Still feel like a monkey on a keyboard but at least I am a faster monkey on a keyboard and somethings I actually am starting to get into my thick skull.

Haha nice. Ya it's best to take notes. Since everything is command based you can replicate what you've learned very quickly that way. Use encrypted word document or another encrypted document platform. Good habit to get into now.