Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible to use arch on an openvz server any more since the kernel is 'hardbaked' on them?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it possible to use arch on an openvz server any more since the kernel is 'hardbaked' on them?

The problems I was having with vps2arch script is that the kernel is too old and I have been reading that you cannot update the kernel of openvz servers or can you? Does this mean that it will no longer be possible to use openvz based ones with arch since I was reading that the image kernels are 'hardcoded' and you can't use a more recent kernel version.

Or could you install an old version of arch somehow then arch could update itself from there on its own kernel. But I think this would still be a problem because I needed to reinstall in the first place because I had a perfectly running arch vps which was installed before these kernel too old errors and just did a full update yesterday which caused the server to not be able to boot any more which is why I have been trying for two days now to get it up again.

Followed this and left it overnight and completed ~ 5 am with no errors.

This morning I tried to boot the server via recovery console and it wouldn't boot at all; just shuts down after a couple of seconds.

So is there any way around this kernel too old shit? it depends on whether the installed arch would be able to use a new kernel or not. Maybe the full update brok just because I didn't update the arch kernel before updating, which would have been possible but I was unaware of it needing at the time before running into these issues. Thoughts?

If that is the case then I would just somehow need to get an old arch version working on the server then update kernel and then do full update.

Comments