Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can I take cPanel Server Backup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can I take cPanel Server Backup?

How can I take cPanel Server Backup on another server where cPanel not installed?

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

WHM backup facility for accounts/MySQL or use rsync sensibly.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Depends - do you have root on the server, are you a reseller, or are you a user?

• someshzadesomeshzade Member
    edited January 2018

@raindog308 said:
    Depends - do you have root on the server, are you a reseller, or are you a user?

Hello Sir,
    I do have root access. Looking to take backup via FTP Backup option of whm. Is it safe and easy to recover?

• User: Use the cpanel backup manager/feature.

Reseller: https://whmeasybackup.com/ or download them manual or via WHM if you have access to.

Root: WHM/Rsync whatever you like

Sorry I missed the "where cPanel not installed" part.

If you do a WHM backup via FTP, sure, it works. But you'll have to manually unpack those tarballs, move them to the right places (which may not be /home/user/public_html), restore the MySQL (and/or Pg, etc.) databases, etc.

Thanked by 1someshzade
  • @raindog308 said:

If you do a WHM backup via FTP, sure, it works. But you'll have to manually unpack those tarballs, move them to the right places (which may not be /home/user/public_html), restore the MySQL (and/or Pg, etc.) databases, etc.

Thanks for your valuable reply <3

• @raindog308 said:

I read this somewhere..

Once the archive file is fully transferred and located in /home, login to the server you are restoring the account to via ssh (see article "Getting Conencted to Your Server"), and run this series of commands:

cd /home
    /scripts/restorepkg username

someshzade said: cd /home /scripts/restorepkg username

restorepkg is a cpanel script. If you don't have cpanel on the new server, that won't work.

Thanked by 1someshzade
  • @raindog308 sir one more thing

Intel Atom N2800
    2c/4t
    1.86GHz
    4GB DDR2 1066 MHz
    2TB
    100 Mbps

Will this work as backup server?

• LeeLee Veteran

It sounds like all you want to do is backup the cPanel accounts, so use the provided tools in WHM to transfer offsite and back in if needed, saves having to use restorepkg on the command line. The backup system has come a long way in the last few years.

Thanked by 1someshzade

someshzade said: Will this work as backup server?

Sure. Any FTP destination will work - cpanel's backup is actually pretty nice in that it creates directories, removes old files, etc.

If you then take those backups and restore on the original server, then that's easy as you describe. If you try to install them on a non-cpanel server, then you have the issues I mentioned. But to just store the tarballs, any FTP destination will work.

Thanked by 1someshzade