Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Learning] I want to learn to build and manage my dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Learning] I want to learn to build and manage my dedicated server

DevoniusDevonius Member
edited September 2013 in Help

Hi all, I want to learn how to setup dedicated server by my own. Because maybe in the future I need to build and manage a server by my own.

I've googled it first but the result all is about buying or rent dedicated server from another website.

Are there any e-Books, or tutorials can I follow to build and manage my own dedi-server?

(or maybe keywords for me to search on google)

Thanks!

Comments

• library.linode.com is a good place to start.

Mun

• I suggest you buy a server right away and start doing small problems

• @Mun, Thanks! This what I am looking for!

• You don't actually need a dedicated server, just use a VM if you want to learn how to set things up.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Digital ocean has a ton of tutorials: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/

• @black yes, I will use VM for training, thanks.
    @matthewvz thanks to you

• Find a cheap KVM VPS and try to set up the following by using tutorials from Digital Ocean, Linode, and or howtoforge.

-Pick a linux distrubution you like
    -Learn how to configure static ips
    -Install Apache as mod_php
    -Install Apache as mod_fcgdi, and or php-fpm FastCGI (know the differences, adv. vs disadv.)
    -Install Nginx
    -Install all the php extensions for apache
    -Install mysql server (learn how to do a master and slave configuration)
    -Install perl, phyton, Ruby and others that a web application might need
    -Install java client
    -Install ??
    -Learn mysql and apache memory optimizations
    -Learn mysql commands to create db, users, reset passwords,etc.,
    -Install wordpress as it will apply all the concepts here.
    -Learn the security practices for the OS and apps and apply them to your server.
    For all these learn how to turn them off, on, restart during reboot, stop or start on demand.

Never give up. Google is your friend. :)

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited September 2013

Make sure you get a KVM, not OpenVZ. Best one from a provider who does not offer 1-click install OS templates, only manual ISO installs ;)

As for pointers in the right direction, depends on what exactly you are planning on doing with this new knowledge. I mean, running a dedi for the sake of running one is pretty much a waste of time. What kind of services do you plan to run on it? Setting up and running a dedi is very different from setting up a VPS node/platform. Ditto re dedicated DB server/cluster, mailserver, etc.

For sysadmin tasks knowhow, head over to http://www.thegeekstuff.com. In addition to a bunch of articles on every conceivable sysadmin topic, Ramesh offers a free e-book to start you on your way. Not only free, but one of the best books on this subject I have ever come across :)

• DevoniusDevonius Member
    edited September 2013

@hdpixel Thanks, although I'm not understand those things right now, but I'll understand it in future.

@andrzej is it the same If I using my VM? my dedi means, I want to learn how to setting a server which can run a big website (ex: facebook). Hope I can mastering this skill.

• @andrzej is it the same If I using my VM? my dedi means, I want to learn how to setting a server which can run a big website (ex: facebook). Hope I can mastering this skill.

Of course, setting up a VM is not the same as a dedi. Setting up a physical server is a whole different ballgame, starting with selection of the right components to meet your needs. However, if you want to start your sysadmin education (that is server management, as opposed to server building), then a KVM is your best bet. That is, provided you don't use 1-click OS templates but go the ISO installation way (similar like on a dedi).

A few important notes:

• different KVM providers offer differnt OS install options. Some of them offer only ISO installation. Others offer only auto-install, 1-click templates. Some others offer both options. Like I said above, ISO's are good to emulate a dedi OS installation, but a pain if you need to test something and need to re-install often.

• another thing to consider: backups, server monitoring, etc. are an important part of running a server. So I would suggest getting at least 2 VMs for your lab.

• planning a big project (website), you might want to run the DB backend (e.g. a 3-node Percona or MariaDB Galera Cluster), MTA, webserver proper and reverse proxy on separate machines. In my opinion, there are many good reasons for such fragmentation. VMs are great for testing such setups for peanuts. Later you can replicate all that on dedis (physical boxes).

• you also need to decide on some kind of redundancy solution for your webservers (or reverse proxies, rather). You might want to set up and play a little with your own DNS server for that...

This is just off the top of my head. What I'm trying to say here in my roundabout way is that setting up a dedi is the least of your problems ;)

• planning a big project (website), you might want to run the DB backend (e.g. a 3-node Percona or MariaDB Galera Cluster), MTA, webserver proper and reverse proxy on separate machines. In my opinion, there are many good reasons for such fragmentation. VMs are great for testing such setups for peanuts. Later you can replicate all that on dedis (physical boxes).

Is it means that "DB backend (e.g. a 3-node Percona or MariaDB Galera Cluster), MTA, webserver proper and reverse proxy" is inside physical boxes?

• Some people like to bunch stuff together in one big box. For many reasons I won't go into now, I prefer to dedicate separate VMs to each type of service (DB, MTA, webserver and what have you). I use KVM's and OpenVZ's, but dedis would do, too. However, there are a few practical system administration considerations that mitigate against dedis in favor of VMs.