Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xiamoi, Honor or Wileyfox?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xiamoi, Honor or Wileyfox?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited January 2018 in General

Wanna try one of these brands for my next phone as my op3 is acting up lately. Anyone made any experience with these brands? Feedback on what might be a good pick? No specific budget in mind. Should have dual sim and more than 32GB space + work in Germany.

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

I am not sure if it will work in Germany, but I have used Xiaomi once and it works pretty well, and the design is pretty decent too.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2018

@FAT32 said:
    I am not sure if it will work in Germany, but I have used Xiaomi once and it works pretty well, and the design is pretty decent too.

Pretty sure I saw "EU" releases of their phones so Im sure it will work out. Thanks for the feedback :) Which one did you have? Why did you move away from it again?

It is a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4G, got it from a carrier mobile plan. I switched to another brand because I need a high quality camera phone. It is still working today as a spare phone, everything still work except the battery is degraded.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • if you want xiamoi, go with A1. because MIUI is suck when you have extra ordinary apps (must white list, lock, extra permission, etc).

for honor, their in-house proc (Kirin) is really interesting. but i doubt 3rd-party rom will be available.

Thanked by 2Ympker WSS
  • @kassle said:
    if you want xiamoi, go with A1. because MIUI is suck when you have extra ordinary apps (must white list, lock, extra permission, etc).

for honor, their in-house proc (Kirin) is really interesting. but i doubt 3rd-party rom will be available.

Yeah, was looking at A1 and Honor 7X

I will vote for A1 simply because it is co-developed with Google, you can expect more frequent updates etc. For rear camera quality it is better in A1 for both video and photo, 7X might win in front camera tho. That said, A1 seems to be better in design in this case.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • 2018 is the year of Mi

Thanked by 2Ympker Hybrid
  • In Asia, xiamoi is tip top as budget friendly. They have different ranges and new models every month or quarterly. But beware of fake phones too.

Check out gsmarena for specs before any purchase..

• WHTWHT Member
    edited January 2018

@corbpie said:
    2018 is the year of Mi

+1

Looks promising: http://www.mi.com/en/mix2/

Edit:Ups $520

• verry good telefon , my wife is use it for 2 years until now, no problems at all , except a little hot cpu in summer but its ok.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I'm a xiaomi fan too. My redmi note 4 compares well to the samsung galaxy that preceded it, in terms of quality and specs. The only downside is that repairs will be a pain. A screen change looks to require a complete disassembly and heat to release glue.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • cociu said: my wife

Maybe @Nekki can be jealous.

• My Redmi Note 4 works fine. Previous phone was LG G4 with so many failures until it died in exactly 365 days. I'm happy with Xiaomi now for half the price, but I miss the high quality camera from LG (the Redmi one works fine).

squibs said: A screen change looks to require a complete disassembly and heat to release glue.

The same with LG.

• honor 9 lite looks good.

• Honor 8 pro. :D

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • AcegetaAcegeta Member
    edited January 2018

Xiaomi is the best budget brand right now, MIUI is hated by some but for me it's pretty well rounded, it just has some design issues in terms of how notifications are shown etc.

A good site to use for comparisons is: Kimovil

The filtering sidebar is pretty powerful and varied. The Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 is what I can vouch for since I own one and have had great experience with it, although I did not mind MIUI I was able to flash LineageOS for a pure stock experience.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Personally I would avoid most phones with a MediaTek processor.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • @Acegeta said:

Personally I would avoid most phones with a MediaTek processor.

Yes it must be latest snapdragon.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • For the same price range you could get these better alternatives:

Letv LeRee Le 3

Leeco Coolpad Cool1

LeEco Cool1

They all have the same processor (Snapdragon 652), 70,000-75,000 average Antutu benchmark, for comparison the LEAGOO S8's MT6750T processor scored 43,000.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • Wileyfox Spark X is discounted right now.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2018

@Ishaq said:
    Wileyfox Spark X is discounted right now.

Sadly though Wileyfox doesn't appear so good to me anymore. Reviews on amazon never are above 3 stars for the models I checked, their website had an error 500 at times and on their websites most phones better than their Swift Plus 2 are out of stock :/

Scrolling down to the reviews didn't help either:

edited January 2018

So does Xiaomi Mi A1, $225

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Acegeta said:

For the same price range you could get these better alternatives:

Letv LeRee Le 3

Leeco Coolpad Cool1

LeEco Cool1

They all have the same processor (Snapdragon 652), 70,000-75,000 average Antutu benchmark, for comparison the LEAGOO S8's MT6750T processor scored 43,000.

Never heard of that brand tbh. Will the phones you linked work in Germany?

• Ympker said: Never heard of that brand tbh. Will the phones you linked work in Germany?

Please refer at: https://willmyphonework.net

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Are you typing the brands wrong or something?

LeEco is dead, don't go for them as you won't get software updates.

I use a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4. Pretty good phone, but if you want a flagship go for the mix 2 (the bezelless ceramic phone) or the mi 6

Thanked by 2Ympker Junkless
  • @derpydm said:
    Are you typing the brands wrong or something?

I use a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4. Pretty good phone, but if you want a flagship go for the mix 2 (the bezelless ceramic phone) or the mi 6

LeEco/Letv is only dead in the US market although it is struggling financially it's still alive, as for software updates that's hard to judge as not even the big brands like LG and Moto are consistent. Because they all have a Snapdragon 652 it should be fairly simple to flash LineageOS and be done with the stock rom.

• MrPsychoMrPsycho Member
    edited January 2018

@Ympker I really suggest you to take a look at previous thread. I believe I mentioned there few important thing that I'm sure you will find interesting.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Acegeta said:

@derpydm said:
    Are you typing the brands wrong or something?

LeEco/Letv is only dead in the US market although it is struggling financially it's still alive, as for software updates that's hard to judge as not even the big brands like LG and Moto are consistent. Because they all have a Snapdragon 652 it should be fairly simple to flash LineageOS and be done with the stock rom.

Considering LeEco's top of the end SD8XX phones don't even get SW updates I'd rather just go with Huawei or Xiaomi

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • Any suggestions for a good camera phone in the $250USD range? I've got a Galaxy S7 Edge right now, great camera but it has a shattered screen. It'll cost $250USD just to fix the screen, and it'll have no guarantee the water resistance will remain intact. For that price, I can get a brand new Moto G5, but looking for best camera phone available in that price range and have been looking at the Huawei and Xiaomi phones for a bit now.