Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dreamhost shared account limits
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dreamhost shared account limits

Does anybody know the RAM limit of dreamhost's shared hosting plan?

I got an e-mail regarding my wordpress site hitting its ram limit. They encourage me to buy VPS from them. Although for shared hosting, dreamhost's bang for the buck ratio is reasonable; for VPS it's not.

I just wanted to learn the hitted limit and plan migration accordingly.

Comments

• WHTWHT Member

You can see the limits on your cpanel sidebar.

• dreamhost does not use cpanel.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited January 2018

Have you thought of actually asking them???

EDIT_____

Similar story : http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1324119

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I wouldn't migrate to another shared host, you should fix your site instead. I've never met a host as tolerant of usage as Dreamhost. I can't imagine you'll find any reasonably priced shared hosts that guarantee a lot of RAM, truthfully I've never searched for it though (you'd think I would've seen it).

What plugins do you use?

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

A lot of WordPress performance-related problems can be fixed with a correctly configured caching plugin.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • WSSWSS Member

@FHR said:
    A lot of WordPress performance-related problems can be fixed with a correctly configured caching plugin.

..or by replacing WordPress!

@WSS said:

@FHR said:

..or by replacing WordPress!

Meh, could be worse. One could have a Web Wiz Forums installation, which uses MS Access as the database backend.

I don't mind WordPress, it actually performs pretty well for such a huge and flexible piece of software. What creates pretty much all problems are poorly coded plugins and themes, especially those sourced from "FREE NULLED HAXXD LEAKED WORDPRESS THEMES" sites.

• Yup, poor themes and plugins or way too many plugins.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2018

If you decide to move, I can offer you hosting with no strict limit, but a "Don't be a dick" policy depending on your used space and bandwidth. PM me for details.

• WSSWSS Member

@doughmanes said:
    Yup, poor themes and plugins or way too many plugins.

The best way to combat WordPress is to disable allow_url_fopen().

• Site is a WPMU; with 4 sub-sites. Caching is on; comments are off. Essays (with some explanatory pictures and youtube embedded videos) only. In fact a static site would also be ok. But I don't know any static blog engine can be used for a similar setting.

Do you advice any static site generator?

4 sub-site; 1 main site; interlinks; similar but color differentiated templates; search (for sub-sites and for whole) and classification are musts.

Wordpress ise easy to use; many template alternatives. If I stay in WP; I am planning to migrate to a vps; maybe a cheap dedi. I prefer ~$30 but up to $50 is in the budget.

There's a plugin called "Simply Static", which will essentially turn your WP into a static site generator.

Thanked by 2Ympker doughmanes
  • yekta said: If I stay in WP; I am planning to migrate to a vps; maybe a cheap dedi. I prefer ~$30 but up to $50 is in the budget.

If you don't need cPanel, you might get some good offers on Dedi