Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you deal with spam on Wordpress blogs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you deal with spam on Wordpress blogs?

What is your poison when it comes to fending off WP Spam?

Comments

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Easiest solution is to outsource comments, i.e. use Disqus. You can also sign-up for Akismet

• I install Jetpack...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@FHR pretty much nailed it.

I've heard - keep in mind this is random Internet chatter - that running something like WordFence (the free version) makes you less attractive to spammers because the better ones will detect you've got WF, assume you're more clueful, and move on to easier prey. But that could all be random Internet chatting BS.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • bapbap Member

I use fb comment plugin, so everyone who commented on my blog will think twice to embarrass himself.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Thanks everyone so far :)

• WSSWSS Member

Outsource it, or use Akismet. Personally, I stopped caring about other folks' opinion, so I turned off commenting like a decade ago. Nothing lost.

• @WSS said:
    Outsource it, or use Akismet. Personally, I stopped caring about other folks' opinion, so I turned off commenting like a decade ago. Nothing lost.

Well this is the blog of an artist who through the comments wants to get feedback&communicate with his audience.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2018

I have found Akismet to be solid tbh, rarely does any crap get through. Disqus, for some things, maybe not sure it will do anything but add unnecessary load to something like WP.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • WSSWSS Member

@Ympker said:

@WSS said:

Well this is the blog of an artist who through the comments wants to get feedback&communicate with his audience.

Well, yeah, I wasn't saying my solution is the only option. That's why I suggested Akismet- it did do wonders for spammage, but outsourcing/Disqus is even easier.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Disqus, their moderator panel scales quite well.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Just to echo what others have already said. Akismet is pretty solid as is Disqus.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • needavpsneedavps Member
    edited January 2018

oversimplification. Akismet if you want to manage your database of comments but want some relief from spam. Jetpack if you don't really care about comments but want someone else to manage it. Disqus if you are not qualified to manage a boatload of comments, want someone else to manage it and take advantage of your boatload of comments. Facebook if you really hate anonymous commenters.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • LeeLee Veteran

Ympker said: Well this is the blog of an artist who through the comments wants to get feedback&communicate with his audience.

For me I would stick to WP comments with Akismet. My reason having seen it before is that people tend to have more trust in the site they are visiting and want to comment on. Ask them to go to a 3rd party site to sign up for something just to be able to comment can have a negative effect.

Thanked by 2Ympker willie
  • varwwwvarwww Member
    edited January 2018

Disqus is bloated and makes your site slow. Akismet is the best.

Thanked by 1willie
  • Akismet does a pretty good job.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Yeah, support Disqus the company that got hacked and tracks you across different websites because everyone embeds it into his page.

Thanked by 3Ympker willie lazyt
  • WP-SpamShield

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Akismet does the job just fine. I usually turn comments off though.

Thanked by 2Ympker lazyt
  • "Disable Comments" plugin works great. I find that even some "helpful" feedback is crap backlink spam attempts

• WSSWSS Member

@doughmanes said:
    "Disable Comments" plugin works great. I find that even some "helpful" feedback is crap backlink spam attempts

Thank you for this! It's really changed the way I perceive things. It's incredibly useful and people should pay more attention! [url=http://www.clownpenis.fart/]NIKE32 ANALMARAUDER BITCONNECTED[/url]

Thanked by 2vovler willie
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

varwww said: Disqus is bloated and makes your site slow. Akismet is the best.

The Discus form is loaded asynchronously and usually just when the user scrolls down enough. It will not impact your perceived page load time.

• @WSS said:

Thank you for this! It's really changed the way I perceive things. It's incredibly useful and people should pay more attention! [url=http://www.clownpenis.fart/]NIKE32 ANALMARAUDER BITCONNECTED[/url]

That wraps up most of wordpress comments

Thanked by 1willie
  • I have a big gun with a very nice and expensive scope.

Thanked by 2Aidan lazyt
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2018

WSS said: I stopped caring about other folks' opinion

What a funny thing to say, in a public forum you are so active having 15K of comments of your own in less than a year and a half! :P

• LeeLee Veteran

jvnadr said: What a funny thing to say, in a public forum you are so active having 15K of comments of your own in less than a year and a half! :P

Yeah, he offers his opinion, not so much interested in hearing yours :P

Thanked by 4jvnadr Aidan WSS Aluminat
  • Lee said: Yeah, he offers his opinion, not so much interested in hearing yours :P

Thanked by 3Lee willie lazyt
  • WSSWSS Member

@jvnadr said:

WSS said: I stopped caring about other folks' opinion

What a funny thing to say, in a public forum you are so active having 15K of comments of your own in less than a year and a half! :P

Where's your personal nerdblog? I can have one-sided conversations with myself on it!

• WSS said: Where's your personal nerdblog? I can have one-sided conversations with myself on it!

Never had a personal blog! I am a professional writer and I like the way nobody can comment on printed media! (except write on the white space of the newspaper, but, again, he, or his wife, will be the only one will read it!) :P

• WSSWSS Member

@jvnadr said:

WSS said: Where's your personal nerdblog? I can have one-sided conversations with myself on it!

Never had a personal blog! I am a professional writer and I like the way nobody can comment on printed media!

[..] professional writer [..] nobody can comment [..]

So, IGN, then?

Thanked by 1FHR
  • Just don't read them