Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner vServer plans?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner vServer plans?

littleguylittleguy Member
edited February 2012 in General

http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produktmatrix_vserver/vserver-produktmatrix

Has anyone tried the vServer VQ 7/12/19 plans? What were your impressions?

What virtualisation do they run, I heard KVM from somewhere, is that right?

Comments

• I think 240GBit is referring to the total 'bandwidth' they have to the outside. Seems like they offer 1TB bandwidth.

• @tech163 said: I think 240GBit is referring to the total 'bandwidth' they have to the outside.

You are completely right! It's 1TB for the VQ7 plan!

• Bumping this, does anyone have experience with Hetzner vServer?

• Been with them for 2 months. First bad thing. They use KVM but you cannot install from iso via VNC. The second bad thing is that they only accept credit card payments only. The third one is that you cannot upgrade memory, cpu or disk space.
    Fourth. documentation is in german. most of it.
    Good provider, fast network for europe, no other problems

• The virtualisation is KVM, right.

I have no experience on my own, but heard from two friends that the Hetzner VPS must be awesome. Really fast, stable, and so on...
    From the provider side, I think you can't go wrong, Hetzner is one of the biggest provider in Europe

• littleguylittleguy Member
    edited February 2012

I did end up getting a VPS with them. The server is fast, very satisfied!

Edit: Like others have said, they run KVM with their own (pretty awesome) control panel.

• ksx4systemksx4system Member
    edited February 2012

@littleguy said: What virtualisation do they run, I heard KVM from somewhere, is that right?

Confirmed, KVM. At least it's what they told me. I consider getting a box from them (or something in Sweden under 10eur/monthly with EU VAT thievery included).

@Amfy said: Hetzner is one of the biggest provider in Europe

but OVH still beats them, at least afaik

• littleguylittleguy Member
    edited February 2012

@ksx4system said: (or something in Sweden under 10eur/monthly with EU VAT thievery included).

What provider would you use then? Glesys is the only big one I can think of and they start 13EUR/month. (With VAT)

• I hate the setup fee with hetzner on their dedicated servers <_<

Thanked by 2djvdorp tux
  • @ksx4system I'd recommend gridlane for a swedish vps under 10eur. they offer a 1024mb kvm vps for 9eur - vat included. Im using one and am extremely happy with it. www.gridlane.com

• @johannes said: I'd recommend gridlane for a swedish vps under 10eur

That's very cool, never seen them before, and I live in Sweden. :) How long have they been in business?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2012

Talking about sweden... I recently ordered oderland.se swedish lowend vps for something like 36€/y and first impression is great. Fast, non overload node with friendly responsive support. Own ASN http://bgp.he.net/AS44136 with ripe membership. Site is in swedish language but whmcs with standard english option. Paypal clients need to chose credit card payment without paying it and then contact support to change invoice into paypal.

It would be great if they would give more than one /128 IPv6 address and more stubborn non-EU customers will need to teach them that they should not have been charged VAT but apart from that it seems like a nice "discovery".

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited February 2012

@johannes said: @ksx4system I'd recommend gridlane for a swedish vps under 10eur. they offer a 1024mb kvm vps for 9eur - vat included. Im using one and am extremely happy with it. www.gridlane.com

are those prices standard or only for a limited time, so will the prices double when the promo is over?
    how is the connectivity? 1gbps?
    how much is 9 euro incl vat? i live in holland

• @djvdorp said: are those prices standard or only for a limited time, so will the prices double when the promo is over?

how is the connectivity? 1gbps?
    how much is 9 euro incl vat? i live in holland

Hehe same here, I was pretty curious about those plans too - but their site isn't very informative.

• @Spirit said: I recently ordered oderland.se swedish lowend vps for something like 36€/y

That's cool! Their Mini Plan is ~2 EUR/month (billed yearly), but if you're looking for something in the 512-1GB RAM spectrum they're very expensive (15/30 EUR/month respectively)

• @djvdorp Im not sure for how long these prices will remain. In terms of longevity, they are backed by a major ISP, portlane.

Secondly, the 9€ are including Swedish VAT (25%), so if you have a VAT number you should be able pay dutch VAT instead.

In terms of the port speed, im confident it's on a 1gbit.

wget -O /dev/null http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    --2012-02-12 11:12:52-- http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: â/dev/nullâ
    100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 30.7M/s in 3.3s
    2012-02-12 11:12:56 (30.7 MB/s) - â/dev/nullâ

I/O performance:

cd /root
    ioping . -c 5
    ioping . -c 5
    4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/vda1): request=1 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/vda1): request=2 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/vda1): request=3 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/vda1): request=4 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/vda1): request=5 time=0.2 ms

--- . (ext4 /dev/vda1) ioping statistics ---
    5 requests completed in 4002.2 ms, 5230 iops, 20.4 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.1/0.2/0.2/0.0 ms

Both tests average out of three attempts.

• including Swedish vat means I should pay 9 euro's too right? no vat number in Holland, just a private person

• fanfan Veteran

@Spirit said: Paypal clients need to chose credit card payment without paying it and then contact support to change invoice into paypal.

Their live support said no to me earlier, perhaps they belong to different departments. :P

@johannes said: Secondly, the 9€ are including Swedish VAT (25%), so if you have a VAT number you should be able pay dutch VAT instead.

Thanks for the information, just asked them if they can cut the VAT part for non-European customers. If they can do that I think they'll become very popular, though still a little more than the LEB criteria.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2012

@fan said: Their live support said no to me earlier, perhaps they belong to different departments. :P

Pre-sale answer to me was: "We do indeed support PayPal payment. Easiest would be if you signed up chosing credit card as payment method, skip the payment when asked and then send us an email saying that you'd like us to change your payment method to paypal." ..and it worked that way - they manualy created paypal invoice for me. But they have no clue regarding VAT so if you're not from EU they will charge it anyway.

• From gridlanes facebook page:
    "We have decided that we will keep the 50% prices until Friday the 15th of February"

• EDIS also has a Sweden KVM offering (portlane in Pionen), and their prices are decent with awesome service and nice equipment.