Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH VPS - Gravelines vs Strasbourg Datacenter?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH VPS - Gravelines vs Strasbourg Datacenter?

nqservicesnqservices Member
edited January 2018 in General

Hi,

It’s the first time I will buy a VPS from OVH. The traffic for this VPS will be 70% from Europe and the remaining 30% worldwide. On the order page I can choose between 2 France datacenters: Gravelines and Strasbourg.

From people that is using them, can you share advice on what is the best datacenter? When I mean the best, is in terms of network speed to Europe and also in terms of uptime.

Should I choose Gravelines or Strasbourg Datacenter?

Thanks!

OVH FR Datacenter
  1. Should I choose?44 votes
    1. Gravelines
      77.27%
    2. Strasbourg
      22.73%

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

Gravelines has been more reliable (uptime, network stability) than the other France locations from my experience. It is the only location in France I use now with them.

Thanked by 2nqservices WSS
  • As for the network speed, there likely isn't much of a difference bandwidth-wise. For the most part, Strasbourg will have slightly better latency to Eastern and Central Europe as well as areas surrounding Europe (DE-CIX), while Gravelines will have better latency to Western Europe and the rest of the world (LINX).

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Open a map and find both. Gravelines will have higher latency to a majority of your visitors.

• TomTom Member

Gravelines

• I have mine in Gravelines. I'm really satisfied with the product. Olso depending on your needs you can buy from kimsufi (it's an OVH service asswel)

• Gravelines >>>>> Strasbourg

Gravelines is the best location. From my tests, only @clouvider has lower pings in the Middle East and the US.

Tests in Dubai

Some tests with a few locations:

• GulfGulf Member
    edited January 2018

OVH GRA

OVH SBG

OVH RBX

Clouvider

Thanked by 1nqservices
  • GulfGulf Member
    edited January 2018

Please share your tests

5.196.90.200 OVH GRA

5.135.128.81 OVH SBG

188.165.12.106 OVH RBX

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2018

OVH has few awesome tools which might help you decide:

• lg.ovh.net - web diagnostic tool, can do traceroutes from all their datacenters
    • weathermap.ovh.net - a full network map
    • sbg.proof.ovh.net, rbx.proof.ovh.net, gra.proof.ovh.net, bhs.proof.ovh.net - you can ping these, or open them in browser - there are test files and a speedtest

Reliability wise, Gravelines and Roubaix would probably be better choices, OVH had some problems in Strasbourg not too long ago.

• Thanks all for the suggestions! I think I will go with Gravelines.

Now I'm trying to decide between their SSD VPS vs their Cloud VPS. Any opinions or experience with it?

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@nqservices said:
    Thanks all for the suggestions! I think I will go with Gravelines.

Now I'm trying to decide between their SSD VPS vs their Cloud VPS. Any opinions or experience with it?

I use few OVH VPS SSDs. I have had my main one (VPS SSD 1 in SBG) for around 2 years or so and it's been pretty stable, no problems and good performance.

Here's a benchmark I did a while ago: https://serverscope.io/trials/DzJM
    This was tested on a fresh server, spawned in Roubaix. I got really unlucky, as the performance sucked. You can look at a history of benchmarks people did of this VPS offer: https://serverscope.io/providers/ovh/plans/vps-ssd-1-
    The numbers are all over the place.

TL;DR; It might be the best server you had or the worst. YMMV

Cloud VPS should be much more predictable.

Thanked by 1nqservices