Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Practice to host a Domain on a VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Practice to host a Domain on a VPS

My question: Is hosting a single domain or multiple domain on VPS without plesk/kloxo/virtualmin etc SEO friendly? I mean the domain is actually the masked IP address, so how can we be sure that our site will get good ranking? Any best practice?

Comments

• you can easily assign vhosts their own ip. But for SEO i would be more concerned about page load time, and proper content then about your IP.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited September 2013

@Myelin said:
    My question: Is hosting a single domain or multiple domain on VPS without plesk/kloxo/virtualmin etc SEO friendly?

Eh what? This is an odd question. Why would google care if you had a fancy control panel or you were pounding away at the cli?

I mean the domain is actually the masked IP address, so how can we be sure that our site will get good ranking? Any best practice?

I think I understand what you mean here. You don't want the bare IP address to load your site. So for example:

example.com should load your super duper website

192.168.1.1 should load the default apache page

So yeah enable namevirtualhost. Set the first virtual host to some default directory like /var/www/html or something. And set your site as the second virtual host with servername example.com and serveralias www.example.com.

Most distros already do this for you. Debian (and ubuntu) has an especially nice way of separating virtual hosts in sites-available which you enable use a2ensite.