Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Softlayer, what does it mean to you?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Softlayer, what does it mean to you?

SrvisLLCSrvisLLC Member
edited February 2012 in Providers

Hello,

I was wondering what the datacenter SoftLayer was to you?
How much would you pay for 512MB vps?
Is it worth it to pay more to be in SoftLayer?
Do you care more about a vps from SoftLayer's network bandwidth or ram?

Thanks again guys!
( I'm just curious this does not mean I'm offering anything )

Thanked by 1assassin

Comments

• I don't want to pay extra for a VPS on rented hardware.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

That basically summed it up.

• I really have never understood people going nuts over SoftLayer. That is why I am asking this. :)

Thanked by 1assassin
  • Softlayer provides good service, but their prices are too high for anyone to sustain a successful LEB service.

There is no major need for a VPS service based in Softlayer; companies like BuyVM, RamHost, Hostigation, etc are co-located elsewhere and provide excellent services.

• Well, they do have a nice network and their control panel is awesome. Their support is great, and they integrate everything so well into their control panel, you can do basically anything from it...

• @Kairus said: Well, they do have a nice network and their control panel is awesome. Their support is great, and they integrate everything so well into their control panel, you can do basically anything from it...

and how does that benefit VPS customers?

• KairusKairus Member
    edited February 2012

@dmmcintyre3 said: and how does that benefit VPS customers?

They're a quality provider, they've got a great mix of BW providers, their support is fast and replaces hardware quickly in the case of a failure on the box. They'll put your server behind Cisco Guard (for free) if it gets DDoS'd and you raise a ticket, which is nice if your VPS provider is actively monitoring his VPS support tickets (esp when you're sharing a server with 30 or so other people...). They do a lot of things other providers won't.

Would you rather have a VPS hosted on a box by Softlayer or Volumedrive?

• @Kairus said: Would you rather have a VPS hosted on a box by Softlayer or Volumedrive?

Softlayer would win that, hands down.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

How many LEB providers have hosted with Softlayer and are still around?

• @KuJoe said: How many LEB providers have hosted with Softlayer and are still around?

QuickWeb?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2012

@KuJoe said: How many LEB providers have hosted with Softlayer and are still around?

Quite a bit? You most likely heard for QuickWeb, NQHost and MDDHosting? But there are also some others like SSD Nodes, RackMountain, FuseVPS, Ruby Ring Technologies/silverknighttech, vpsone and so on...

I don't see any LEBs hosted in SoftLayer unless I'm missing something. QuickWeb has multiple DCs and is not focused primarily in SoftLayer like the OP is suggesting.

• BernardooBernardoo Member
    edited February 2012

@KuJoe said: How many LEB providers have hosted with Softlayer and are still around?

Maybe doing a search at lowendbox would answer your question, there are plenty of providers using softlayer even for LEBs.

Some of them fail others are succefull like quickweb

@Spirit those are all LEB providers? A quick look at MDDHosting shows $55.50/month for their cheapest VPS plan...

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2012

@KuJoe said: unless I'm missing something.

You're missing something. I posted above some of them. All of them was at some point featured at LEB so I answered directly to your answer. Some info might be outdated but you should heard atleast for QuickWeb?

@Bernardoo I did a search and I don't see any LEB providers listed there. I see some VPS providers with limited LEB specials, but no LEB providers.

@Spirit we are talking about LEB providers here, not VPS companies that offer limited LEB specials. QuickWeb starts at $10/month for their SoftLayer VPSs.

• Eh.. nevermind..

/rolleyes

• @KuJoe said: I did a search and I don't see any LEB providers listed there. I see some VPS providers with limited LEB specials, but no LEB providers.

SSDnodes for example?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2012

NQHost for example?

• some others previously listed above...
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

clubuptime used to operate out of softlayer but it's pretty well known that they simply weren't able to keep up with the pricing. Softlayer has a nice network and lots of great features if you run a large cluster, but they're not really 'tuned' for VPS companies.

I'm not sure if it's better now but for quite some time IPV6 didn't work properly over there.

• I use VPS for IRC and demand top notch network stability. As such I've jumped on numerous Softlayer hosted LEB offers (thinking that softlayer would give great stability due to all the redundancy and top tier providers.) They never did though -- I had problems even going a week without having connection drops. In comparison with BuyVM I can usually keep a connection to an IRC server for 2-3 months at a time.

• Softlayer is the place that is down the street from me. They are in the old ThePlanet building. It looks nice. That is what it means to me.

• I the OP was just wondering what people think of SoftLayer, I was not suggesting that that is all that I am thinking about. If you look at me I promote being a Detroit provider more then anything. I was just wondering if there is a demand for SoftLayer if it was like 10 bucks more then a general data-center VPS.

• @ErrantWeb I don't need the greatest connectivity. I just want it to be fast, reliable, and cheap. With BuyVM, Hostigation, and SecureDragon, I get these things, and it is at a great price. If you can give me that at Softlayer, I might pay $5-$10 more per year. This would be a $25-$30 year 128 MB KVM VPS, and I don't think that it can be done. Softlayer is a great place, but I don't see it ever being worth it for me.

• Also softlayer does special prices for their costumers when they have x servers or even if you contact their sales, sometimes way less then what is listen in their website.

Infact, if you search for it on webhostingtalk you will find allot of people saying the same thing.

@Bernardoo said: SSDnodes

128MB for $9/month != LEB

@Spirit said: NQHost

512MB for $15/month != LEB

@ErrantWeb said: I was just wondering if there is a demand for SoftLayer if it was like 10 bucks more then a general data-center VPS.

As a VPS provider the demand might be there, but it wouldn't fall under the LEB criteria here.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2012

@KuJoe said: 512MB for $15/month != LEB

Huh? Why you're trying to convience us SO hard that there aren't softlayer hosted LEB providers? :) Even I am hosted with few of them. And why do you post some random NQhost package as there's regular LEB package which meet criteria to be posted at those pages? Weird..

http://nqhost.com/cheap-vps.html - $6.95/mo
    http://www.fusevps.com/ - $3.95/mo

• Softlayer targets the more "enterprise" company. Someone mentioned MDDHosting -- Mike moved away from Softlayer to a colo facility over a year ago now.

Most budget VPS companies can't sustain a business model at Softlayer unless you get special pricing due to connections you've got. We used to pay $294/month for Dual 5620 boxes with 24GB Ram, quad 500GB HDD's in hardware Raid 10 using Adaptec 5405z RAID cards, 4TB Bandwidth (pooled between servers, too), and a gigabit port. We had nearly 1 petabyte of bandwidth pooled at one point. Good luck trying to find those specs with ANY provider, not just Softlayer...

• and you couldn't manage to get a profit... thats sad