Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway stock
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway stock

I haven't been able to spin up a non-ARM based VPS in AMS in a good while. I check every few days. What's the longest it's been since they've restocked? I actually needed a C2L been waiting for what feels like ages

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Spin it up via the API. They normally keep extra capacity even when the UI shows no stock.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Just spin up ARM. They are much less oversold, have amazingly fast hardware AES, and not affected by any of the recent Meltdown/Spectre bugs.

Thanked by 3Xei Shot2 netomx
  • rdesrdes Member
    edited January 2018

@Xel Right now there's C2M, C2S, VC1M and VC1S available in AMS. You must check it frequently, because it's enough that someone will stop VPS, and it will be available again to order for someone else..

Last time I stopped mine instance for few hours, and when I decided to start it again I had to wait about 2 hours to got it working, because there was no free node. FIrst, I thought there's some problem with control panel, because it stuck on "provisioning" but I wrote to support, and they told me that there's out of stock, and node will be assigned when somebody free it ;).

Thanked by 1Xei
  • hzrhzr Member

My apologies, I have several thousand instances in Scaleway running for a temporary project.

I recommend ARM .

Thanked by 2willie Xei
  • XeiXei Member

Lol. Damn you @hrz
    Thanks for all the valuable info guys. You are all so pro. <3

• XeiXei Member
    edited January 2018

I wonder if Scaleway browse this forum cause I couldn't find anything and even support was like it'll be restocked someday to me weeks ago...or a coincidence but I wouldn't be surprised. Gonna pick some stuff up now anyhow. Thanks all.

• You just need to check every so often (throughout the day); people do destroy their instances and you can quickly grab one.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • WHTWHT Member

Can someone explain what the heck is ARM? Its virtualization method like kvm?

• No, it‘s a cpu architecture. The Intel and Amd ones use x86 architecture

Thanked by 1WHT
  • @WHT said:
    Can someone explain what the heck is ARM? Its virtualization method like kvm?

Unlike intel's x86 CISC architecture, ARM are risc processors. Giving a higher compute per watt and also provinding thumb mode makes ARM especially interesting. Since armv8 they are able to do virt on arm, so you share a server just like KVM, only different cpu

Thanked by 2WHT tarasis
  • This is literally the major problem I had with Scaleway, their stock availability is horrendous. Even though I payed for their developer program subscription. It took a freaking ticket to get them to upgrade my limits I PURCHASED FROM THEM. They need to get their shit together, at the end I just decided to just stick to the other 3 cloud providers(DO/Linode/Vultr).

• WSSWSS Member

@WHT said:
    Can someone explain what the heck is ARM?

It's the CPU commonly used in smartphones and cheap Android tablets.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • ARM can be a headache, you'd better have a "let's learn something new today" attitude if you want to use it in any serious capacity - though support is far better today than it was a few years ago

• @rm_ said:
    Just spin up ARM. They are much less oversold, have amazingly fast hardware AES, and not affected by any of the recent Meltdown/Spectre bugs.

Out of curiosity, could you show us how fast AES is on these ARM babies? (e.g. openssl speed [-evp] aes-256-cbc)

(btw, Scaleway is and remains a f*ckin' nightmare still in the infant stage of its alpha phase, let's hope they sober up and ditch the whole project)

• Ah, I see. Hmm, it's only for the newest ARMs (v8?) I suppose... and with OpenSSL 1.1 only... And considering how much Scaleway sucks... I pass. :D

(btw, reading the aforementioned thread: there's been no such thing as a "price hike" wrt OVH VPS-SSD... ;))

• XeiXei Member

Rm how significant is the difference between ARM vs non-ARM with AES/OpenSSL performance at Scaleway. Did you test that?

edited January 2018

Xei said: how significant is the difference between ARM vs non-ARM with AES/OpenSSL performance

I did not test OpenSSL speed on their x86, or did not save the results. In my experience their x86 is badly oversold CPU-wise, you can get as much as 50-60% CPU "steal" in top, which means more than half of your vCore allocation is being taken away due to heavy usage by other customers. Have never seen any "steal" whatsoever on the ARM counterpart.

VPS "nodes" for x86 are only 8-core Atom C2750, and it's anyone's guess how many customers they try to fit on one. Certainly way more than 4 (assuming 2-core allocation each). On the other hand the ARM ThunderX servers are 48-core, and they can be dual-CPU (unclear if they use that), which would fit 96 cores in a server.

Thanked by 2Xei vimalware
  • XeiXei Member
    edited January 2018

@Shot2 said:

(btw, Scaleway is and remains a f*ckin' nightmare still in the infant stage of its alpha phase, let's hope they sober up and ditch the whole project)

For the price, it can't be beat. Unmetered 250+mbit, 50gb SSD, 2 GB ram, # of cores, availability, etc.

• LjLLjL Member

@rm_ said:

Xei said: how significant is the difference between ARM vs non-ARM with AES/OpenSSL performance

I did not test OpenSSL speed on their x86, or did not save the results.

I did: https://paste.ee/p/HAN5g#s=1

The latter two (labelled AMD64 and ARM64) are Scaleway's €3 offers, while the former two are just a couple of my own computers.

Thanked by 1Xei
  • XeiXei Member
    edited January 2018

@LjL said:

@rm_ said:

I did not test OpenSSL speed on their x86, or did not save the results.

I did: https://paste.ee/p/HAN5g#s=1

The latter two (labelled AMD64 and ARM64) are Scaleway's €3 offers, while the former two are just a couple of my own computers.

Isn't this indicating the non-ARM offering performs better for single threaded but not multi threaded? When does OpenSSL use single vs multi threaded in the real world? Are two concurrent ssl connections an example of when OpenSSL is multi threaded?

• LjLLjL Member

@Xei said:
    Isn't this indicating the non-ARM offering performs better for single threaded but not multi threaded? When does OpenSSL use single vs multi threaded in the real world? Are two concurrent ssl connections an example of when OpenSSL is multi threaded?

It makes sense for the ARM offering to have better multi-threaded performance but worse single-threaded performance: the ARM is offered with 4 cores, the Intel with only 2 cores, but the Intel cores are generally faster. But I found it interesting that a few values are better with the ARM anyway, even in the single-threaded test.

Certainly anything serving multiple SSL connections concurrently would benefit from threads, unless it's programmed in a bit of a dumb way.

Thanked by 1Xei
    edited January 2018

LjL said: I did

aes-256 cbc      50118.81k    54155.61k    55501.31k    55909.72k    56300.89k    56224.43k

Did you read https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/128315/upgrade-your-openssl-on-scaleway-arm-5x-performance-gain/p1 ? Did you compare it with your results on ARM? Did that raise any questions for you? Do you still think your AMD64 vs ARM comparison is not entirely useless?

• LjLLjL Member

@rm_ said:
    Do you still think your AMD64 vs ARM comparison is not entirely useless?

Are you "still" beating your wife? I've never said anything about what I thought the usefulness of this benchmark was. You were talking about it...

• WSSWSS Member

@LjL said:

@rm_ said:

Are you "still" beating your wife? I've never said anything about what I thought the usefulness of this benchmark was. You were talking about it...

This was certainly not a triggered response.

Thanked by 3rm_ Wolveix Aidan
  • LjLLjL Member
    edited January 2018

@WSS said:

@LjL said:

@rm_ said:

I guess neither you, nor the admin who "warned" me, knows that the "have you stopped beating your wife?" thing is the well-known prototypical example of a loaded question. That particular question is covered in detail on this article for example, and Wiktionary has an entry about "wife-beating question". A simple web search on these keywords would also easily show it's a very clearly acknowledged as a loaded question example.

Under that light, I would say that if anything is "triggered" (where, I guess, "triggered" is misdefined as some kind of knee-jerk reaction when some research would be warranted instead), it is your response as well as the warning.

If the next "triggered" response if going to be a ban just because I dared offer a rebuttal, then it's okay, I won't mind: I am new here and I won't lose much, and since examples of form over substance abound on the internet, then given the trend, I guess I can only learn to get used to it.

You see, unlike my single response that made a specific point, @rm_ has rather randomly snarked at me for posting a benchmark that had been requested and that he said he didn't have... but they did it "civilly" (and so did I, but that isn't obvious unless one stopped to think and/or google for a second, which rarely happens on the internet), so that wasn't seen as an issue.

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • WSSWSS Member

@LjL said:

@WSS said:

@LjL said:

@rm_ said:

I guess neither you, nor the admin who "warned" me, knows that the "have you stopped beating your wife?" thing is the well-known prototypical example of a loaded question.

Nice alt, @bsdguy. Sorry, I'm not going to get into your headspace; mine is bad enough.

@LjL said:
    Under that light, I would say that if anything is "triggered" (where, I guess, "triggered" is middefined as some kind of knee-jerk reaction when some research would be warranted instead), it is your response as well as the warning.

If the next "triggered" response if going to be a ban just because I dared offer a rebuttal, then it's okay, I won't mind: I am new here and I won't lose much, and since examples of form over substance about on the internet, then given the trend, I guess I can only learn to get used to it.

You see, unlike my single response that made a specific point, @rm_ has rather randomly snarked at me for posting a benchmark that had been requested and that he said he didn't have... but they did it "civilly" (and so did I, but that isn't obvious unless one stopped to think and/or google for a second, which rarely happens on the internet), so that wasn't seen as an issue.

TL;DR.

• LjLLjL Member

@WSS Indeed, randomly accusing someone of being someone else just to jeopardize their credibility is an example of the sort of "deeply harmful statements" that aren't literally "uncivil", which is the whole point of the article I linked in the part of my comment you called a "TL;DR" and as such, presumably, Didn't Read.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

Sorry, I don't care for fallacious argumentum (sin populum). You just look spergy.

wow