Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyShared.net - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyShared.net

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

sureiam said: In regards to the down time being related to litespeed I also have a ping monitor to the ip and 3/5 times the 8+ min downtimes that are recorded also cause the point monitor to flare. That says to me it's the node and not just http/s services.

As I said, LV had 2 the other morning because I didn't handle a maintenance window properly from one of our upstreams. If I had transferred some of our network load before hand it would've not been seen :)

Francisco

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Francisco said:

MikePT said: I imagine its a few million per month?

Something like that since we got a lot of shops and all that. It adds up.

I could maybe try to think up a way to sell mailchannels to specific users, hell, that might already exist and I've just not researched it.

Francisco

It does. Something like that you would just need to activate the relay for the particular domain.

@MikePT said:

@Francisco said:

I could maybe try to think up a way to sell mailchannels to specific users, hell, that might already exist and I've just not researched it.

Francisco

It does. Something like that you would just need to activate the relay for the particular domain.

Neat, I guess i'll have to ask around and see what interest there is and at what pricing.

For now, RDNS/etc usually helps well.

Francisco

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @Francisco said:

sureiam said: In regards to the down time being related to litespeed I also have a ping monitor to the ip and 3/5 times the 8+ min downtimes that are recorded also cause the point monitor to flare. That says to me it's the node and not just http/s services.

As I said, LV had 2 the other morning because I didn't handle a maintenance window properly from one of our upstreams. If I had transferred some of our network load before hand it would've not been seen :)

Francisco

2017:
    Dec 6th
    Nov 5th
    Nov 6th
    Nov. 17th
    Nov. 27th

All IP down times. I won't go into their down time but they were higher than 8mins.

I'm not trying to be difficult. just noting it's not all litespeed. The nodes are full of loud neighbors that need to be nipped in the bud.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Francisco said:

@MikePT said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Neat, I guess i'll have to ask around and see what interest there is and at what pricing.

For now, RDNS/etc usually helps well.

Francisco

Definitely :)

sureiam said: All IP down times. I won't go into their down time but they were higher than 8mi

Those don't sound like LV then, LU maybe?

Francisco

• @jetchirag said:

@someshzade said:
    My emails are going to the spam folder of Gmail. I requested the support department of buyshared they replied,"Contact google they'll do that" -_-

They are not email hosting provider neither do they have control over it. Besides, you can check IP listin.

They have given a whitelisted IP -_- I did check. Their support team saying IP is blacklisted.

@someshzade said:
    They have given a whitelisted IP -_- I did check. Their support team saying IP is blacklisted.

Who is each thing? We don't have 'whitelisted IPs' for any mail providers, we don't pay any extortion money for that. Our IP's aren't on any BL's, but that doesn't mean a mail provider isn't angry because someone forwarded themselves some spam.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@someshzade said:
    My emails are going to the spam folder of Gmail. I requested the support department of buyshared they replied,"Contact google they'll do that" -_-

If we put rdns and all that on you then that's the best option for now.

I was looking into mail channels but I would have to go for a full blown setup of it and likely have to double everyone's price just to cover it.

Francisco

Yes, charge more but try to give us email inbox delivery assured.

someshzade said: Yes, charge more but try to give us email inbox delivery assured.

I'll float the idea later this month, no promises on it.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

someshzade said: ... email inbox delivery assured.

Why aren't my performance enhancement emails going through?? Not sure if this would be worth the headache, especially in the BuyShared price bracket.

@Aidan said:

@Francisco said:

Why aren't my performance enhancement emails going through?? Not sure if this would be worth the headache, especially in the BuyShared price bracket.

It's a hard sell for sure. Even if I was to bump prices for certain things, it puts me no further ahead but now I got a big overhead to contend with.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Aidan someshzade
  • LeeLee Veteran

No idea what this thread is about, just ban Fran, that will fix everything right?

• MrHMrH Member

@Lee said:
    No idea what this thread is about, just ban Fran, that will fix everything right?

< 30s

• @Francisco said:

@Aidan said:

@Francisco said:

It's a hard sell for sure. Even if I was to bump prices for certain things, it puts me no further ahead but now I got a big overhead to contend with.

Francisco

My website first byte is 2.1sec on buy shared.
    @Francisco

• WSSWSS Member

@someshzade said:
    @Francisco

So nibble slowly.

• @someshzade said:

@Francisco said:

@Aidan said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

@Francisco

Have you checked your application?

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited January 2018

@someshzade said:

@Francisco said:

@Aidan said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

@Francisco

Is it a static site or a dynamic site? If dynamic like default WordPress toy can For example preload with wp super cache. The BS servers are Unable to handle dynamic sites very well from my experience. But if it's cached and as small as possible it'll load very fast. For example my time to first byte is between 300-600ms

Thanked by 1someshzade
  • @Lee said:

It's mostly meant to bring to light the frustrating amount of downtime experienced on buy shared and a plea to get Fran to remove the resellers and users overly "abusing" the shared platform.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2018

sureiam said: It's mostly meant to bring to light the frustrating amount of downtime experienced on buy shared and a plea to get Fran to remove the resellers and users overly "abusing" the shared platform.

If you want that then you need to move. I mean at the price point who do you think is going to rush to it? The cheap resellers which by default means the cheap shared plans they sell attract all sorts of undesirables.

Don't get me wrong Fran does a great job with them but set your expectations to the price point and appreciate who your neighbours are.

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited January 2018

@Lee said:

sureiam said: It's mostly meant to bring to light the frustrating amount of downtime experienced on buy shared and a plea to get Fran to remove the resellers and users overly "abusing" the shared platform.

If you want that then you need to move. I mean at the price point who do you think is going to rush to it? The cheap resellers which by default means the cheap shared plans they sell attract all sorts of undesirables.

Don't get me wrong Fran does a great job with them but set your expectations to the price point and appreciate who your neighbours are.

That's exactly their problem. Additionally there is even a reseller site that's giving away small hosting for free. Then Fran complains about how litespeed takes forever to check the config files. How many free 10mb to 100mb accounts do you think are crammed in there.

I would just like to see simple users with low usage that just want simple cheap hosting for simple low bandwidth sites not ruined by those obviously not keeping the shared concept in mind.

• WSSWSS Member

@sureiam said:
    I would just like to see simple users with low usage that just want simple cheap hosting for simple low bandwidth sites not ruined by those obviously not keeping the shared concept in mind.

So get a cheap VPS and throw VestaCP or Webmin on it. You're on a designed-to-be-oversold service. Shit, or get off the pot.

Thanked by 1Lee

@sureiam said:

@Lee said:

It's mostly meant to bring to light the frustrating amount of downtime experienced on buy shared and a plea to get Fran to remove the resellers and users overly "abusing" the shared platform.

Well, users pay for their stuff, I can't really stop a user from making 50 accounts. We've already started putting in much fatter CPU's in the nodes in Vegas, moving from 24 thread to 40 thread nodes without any change in our customer load outs, so that'll buy a lot of spare CPU. We still have people that have some slowdowns but see my next paragraph about that.

The first node we did went well so in the next month or two we'll be doing the rest of the Vegas boxes. To be fair, most of the Vegas nodes are sitting at around 40% spare CPU, but that doesn't mean the user isn't getting rate limited.

@sureiam said:
    Is it a static site or a dynamic site? If dynamic like default WordPress toy can For example preload with wp super cache. The BS servers are Unable to handle dynamic sites very well from my experience. But if it's cached and as small as possible it'll load very fast. For example my time to first byte is between 300-600ms

Dynamic sites are fine, I think the 100% CPU cap we apply is too low due to how easy it is for Wordpress to trip it. A user logging into the wp-admin area can easily trip the system and now be hard CPU rate limited for however long Cloudlinux does by default.

We do have lscache which helps a good bit, but some sites just don't cache very well.

Francisco

• @WSS said:

@sureiam said:

So get a cheap VPS and throw VestaCP or Webmin on it. You're on a designed-to-be-oversold service. Shit, or get off the pot.

Ya it served it's purpose I suppose. I'm capable of setting up a VPS manually for LAMP or LEMP. But it's just another vps i gotta now manage and update for 5-6 extremely basic sites that just need a web presence. Shame.

@Francisco said:

@sureiam said:

@Lee said:

Well, users pay for their stuff, I can't really stop a user from making 50 accounts. We've already started putting in much fatter CPU's in the nodes in Vegas, moving from 24 thread to 40 thread nodes without any change in our customer load outs, so that'll buy a lot of spare CPU. We still have people that have some slowdowns but see my next paragraph about that.

The first node we did went well so in the next month or two we'll be doing the rest of the Vegas boxes. To be fair, most of the Vegas nodes are sitting at around 40% spare CPU, but that doesn't mean the user isn't getting rate limited.

@sureiam said:

Dynamic sites are fine, I think the 100% CPU cap we apply is too low due to how easy it is for Wordpress to trip it. A user logging into the wp-admin area can easily trip the system and now be hard CPU rate limited for however long Cloudlinux does by default.

We do have lscache which helps a good bit, but some sites just don't cache very well.

Francisco

Your a great guy everyone appreciates all your efforts. I'm sure the added hardware will help tremendously. But it's also not the guy doing 50 accounts that's really the problem it's the ones with hundreds of dynamic addon sites or resellers selling unlimited domain accounts that are abused to heck. There's a reason many providers have limits on their cheaper accounts..

Perhaps you can take an older node and make it for users with limits? Like the 1gb plan non reseller with 50 or 100 domain limit. That would allow the low usage users and non trouble makers that just want to stick around for years to not suffer at the hands of the "abusers"

sureiam said: Your a great guy everyone appreciates all your efforts. I'm sure the added hardware will help tremendously. But it's also not the guy doing 50 accounts that's really the problem it's the ones with hundreds of dynamic addon sites or resellers selling unlimited domain accounts that are abused to heck. There's a reason many providers have limits on their cheaper accounts..

I wrote a quick script that tallied how many domains each user has and then tallies it against a reseller to track things like that and I haven't caught anything unusual. We had a few people that were running big affiliate projects but we long since threw them out.

I've floated around the idea of a 'twice the price, half the users' option for people that want even more CPU but I always felt that it was unfair in some ways. I think the russian's old motherland views rubbed off on me some.

Who knows, we might still do that, and just give users more CPU so that it's less likely for them to get capped. Capping is more common than you'd think, especially with Wordpress. Us putting the bruteforce protection really helped in that, it used to be a gongshow.

Francisco

• WSSWSS Member

@sureiam said:

@WSS said:

@sureiam said:

Ya it served it's purpose I suppose. I'm capable of setting up a VPS manually for LAMP or LEMP. But it's just another vps i gotta now manage and update for 5-6 extremely basic sites that just need a web presence. Shame.

I can offer you a provider who has a custom system which I absolutely adore- but left, because they start at $6/mo for economy hosting (same prices they had in 2002). It's just as affordable setting up your own VPS.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited January 2018

@WSS said:

Yes, cheap VPS are not being oversold. heh..

• WSSWSS Member

@vovler said:
    Yes, cheap VPS are not being oversold. heh..

Unless you're Dedicenter or Sentris, they're nowhere near as oversold as generichttpservice, Mr. Pedantic.

• LeeLee Veteran

Yeah oversold cPanel is worlds away from oversold VPS in the main...

• WSSWSS Member

@Lee said:
    Yeah oversold cPanel is worlds away from oversold VPS in the main...

The biggest problem I've had with cheap VPS has been purchasing what I thought I was getting, e.g. assuming "4 cores" meant 4 threads, not 4 * 1/4 thread. You only make that mistake once.

I've had a couple oversold OVZs, but those were so cheap, who cares? If you want bang for your buck, a KVM is still the best way- given the provider has been around long enough/is large enough that you don't have to worry about massive oversale, or deadpooling.

I've got a few core services running on #2/mo KVMs with NetCup. You just need to do research to find what works for you.