Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the easiest way to backup a Wordpress site and move to a new webhost ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Whats the easiest way to backup a Wordpress site and move to a new webhost ?

Do you know any plugin or something useful ?

Comments

• Import and export wizzard in wordpress is good for the content.

Do you need the DNS also ?

• budi1413budi1413 Member
    edited September 2013

Dump sql, import sql, rsync wordpress directory, update dns.

• I can do this for a little charge. Pm if intetested

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited September 2013

@rahulks said:
    plugin

For small websites, WPTwin, FlipMe Clone, Backup Buddy, and similar plugins are working well. But most of the times I would rather do the manual way, especially for bigger sites, i.e. dump sql, zip all files, import sql, unzip files.

• scp -r -P 22 /path/to/files/on/old/host user@newhost:/path/to/files/on/new/host

mysqldump -u user -p databasename > name.sql

scp -P 22 name.sql [email protected]:/path/to/file/not/accessible/by/the/internet.

on new host: mysql -u root -p

> create database NAMEOFDB;

>grant all privileges on NAMEOFDB.* to 'user'@'localhost' identified by 'password';

>grant usage on NAMEOFDB.* to 'user'@'localhost' identified by 'password';

>quit;

mysql -u user -p NAMEOFDB < name.sql

Update DNS to new host. And Vroom!

This assumes you already installed nginx/apache are using a linux VPS and have mysql-isk database installed.

Mun

• Duplicator plugin is perfect for this. Install on wordpress installation and create your packages - the installer and the data. Download both files and upload them to the new server. Load the installer in your browser, supply domain and database details and you're good to go.

• @Mun said:
    scp -r -P 22 /path/to/files/on/old/host user@newhost:/path/to/files/on/new/host

mysqldump -u user -p databasename > name.sql

scp -P 22 name.sql [email protected]:/path/to/file/not/accessible/by/the/internet.

on new host: mysql -u root -p

> create database NAMEOFDB;

>grant all privileges on NAMEOFDB.* to 'user'@'localhost' identified by 'password';

>grant usage on NAMEOFDB.* to 'user'@'localhost' identified by 'password';

>quit;

mysql -u user -p NAMEOFDB < name.sql

Update DNS to new host. And Vroom!

This assumes you already installed nginx/apache are using a linux VPS and have mysql-isk database installed.

Mun

The grant usage line is redundant I think.

• Backup files via FileZilla/File Manager in CP, export .SQL files and import into new server using the same information. Then import files to the new server/host and change the DNS settings.

• @Abdussamad said:
    The grant usage line is redundant I think.

A little, but it does cover all your bases.

Mun

• Are you using shared hosting or vps?
    If shared most likely your web-host will offer free website migration, if they don't then just run a cPanel backup and upload it at your new host. If VPS just copy the files over export the data-base and import it on the new VPS.

• try duplicator plugin. works well for me