Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vps backup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vps backup

jgalvezjgalvez Member
edited February 2012 in General

hi i need a stable vps just for backup my files.
I have bought a vps at w2server and it's a fraud.
I have bought a vps at nordicvps and it's down, my data still there.

anyone can share with me a european vps provider?a serious company? with a few years working?

I just need rsync samba ssh, 30 gb space 256mb ram bandwith 80gb/month
Thanks

Comments

• linode

• linode isnt leb, that might not fit his budget

• @jgalvez said: I just need rsync samba ssh, 30 gb space 256mb ram bandwith 80gb/month

why do you need 256mb ram for backups? and does samba even work in OpenVZ? I didn't think it did, but don't know for sure.

• I have 512mb ram on my backup server but I don't need this amount ram.

• Take a look at Hostigation's backup VPS plans. You don't need that much memory.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @iKocka said: Take a look at Hostigation's backup VPS plans

+1

it's cheap and it works great

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

He's looking to an EU provider (not sure why for backups since location is normally not a concern and US bandwidth is cheaper from what I understand).

• I don't mean to hijack another person's thread but thought this is relevant.

Once a server goes down, wouldn't it take ~24hours or whatever the TTL is for the DNS of the domain to propagate to the new IP? How do you make it faster? Am I missing something?

edited February 2012

@draco said: Once a server goes down, wouldn't it take ~24hours or whatever the TTL is for the DNS of the domain to propagate to the new IP? How do you make it faster? Am I missing something?

You can control the TTL if you run your own DNS or use a third party DNS (of course not all ISPs respect the TTLs set but most do). I set my TTL to 5 minutes and use automatic DNS failover with DNSMadeEasy.

Thanked by 1draco
  • I am in the proccess of getting DNS Failover running, I have the two servers up and ready just got to change the nameservers.

15 Minutes TTL

Thanked by 1draco
  • @KuJoe said: I set my TTL to 5 minutes

Most won't respect a TTL of 300, but will 14400, and a few really anal people want 24 hours or consider you a potential spammer.

@miTgiB said: but will 14400

4 hours makes DNS failover pointless. :(

• @miTgiB said: Most won't respect a TTL of 300, but will 14400, and a few really anal people want 24 hours or consider you a potential spammer.

So if I do go with 300, does that mean most will recognize it as 14400 (minimum TTL) instead or are there any side-effects?

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@miTgiB said: Most won't respect a TTL of 300, but will 14400, and a few really anal people want 24 hours or consider you a potential spammer.

I don't agree, with more and more content spread over CDN you can't play with dns ttl without causing nasty effects on you users. Just look how low akamai set the ttl

`;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;a1785.d.akamai.net. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    a1785.d.akamai.net. 20 IN A 195.22.202.80
    a1785.d.akamai.net. 20 IN A 195.22.202.91
    a1785.d.akamai.net. 20 IN A 195.22.202.24
    a1785.d.akamai.net. 20 IN A 195.22.202.26
    a1785.d.akamai.net. 20 IN A 195.22.202.42

or google

www.l.google.com. 300 IN A 74.125.232.114
    www.l.google.com. 300 IN A 74.125.232.115
    www.l.google.com. 300 IN A 74.125.232.116
    www.l.google.com. 300 IN A 74.125.232.112
    www.l.google.com. 300 IN A 74.125.232.113

or fb

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;www.facebook.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    www.facebook.com. 120 IN A 69.171.224.13

`

We have most clients zone under 3600 seconds and we see propagation works very well.

The real problem are sometime operating systems/applications cache :-)

S.

• @KuJoe said: DNS failover pointless

DNS failover is pointless

• @prometeus said: can't play with dns ttl without causing nasty effects on you users

You just described every cable internet provider in the US

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

This is another story ;-)

@miTgiB said: DNS failover is pointless

But it works very well...

• @miTgiB KuJoe's using "automatic DNS failover with DNSMadeEasy" and that specific solution works fine. Not saying that's perfect, but the best thing you can buy with just a few dollars

• @marrco said: the best thing you can buy with just a few dollars

I'd prefer LVS over DNS failover myself, and if it an even cheaper solution.

• What is LVS?

@miTgiB does that work with remote servers without a central storage setup?

• @KuJoe Sure, it is a simple load balancer and can be configured any number of ways.

Nice, might consider it in the future.

• jgalvezjgalvez Member

Hi anyone can sugguest to me
    512gb space samba,sync,FTP with SSH access 1gb or 2gb in Europe

• GBIGBI Member, Host Rep

Why not just go for a Hetzner fully managed storage box? It’s great value for money.

• PineappleBoxPineappleBox Member
    edited May 2020

@Cam could probably provide you this (https://hosting.gullo.me/).
    256mb ram
    100gb storage
    500gb bandwidth
    Using the code: LEB-NAT-100GB it comes to a total of $16 anually (Around $1.33/month), in the Finland and Germany location.

Thanked by 1Cam