Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinion on quad9 dns
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Opinion on quad9 dns

Hello,
What are your opinion about the quad9 dns comparing to google dns?
Can it be used on vps/dedi's too for better security?

Comments

• Been hit-and-miss for me latency wise. It probably has a strange return route from their side to my home Internet and LEBs (couple hundred ms)

• @Nyr had some thoughts on it...

I have decided against integrating Quad 9 DNS for now.

Main reason, other than the fact that malware filtering at the DNS level is almost useless for the regular user is that the service is still very new. For example, I couldn't even find the .11 and .12 servers advertised on the site.

The "NXDOMAIN only" option doesn't inspire much confidence in future monetization efforts, nor do some of the organizations and persons behind the project. Special mention deserved to Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. which provided the $25M funding for this project.

We'll see and re-evaluate in the future, if needed.

https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install/issues/379#issuecomment-346157258

• I'm currently giving it a try on my VPN and to be fair its a good idea, however poorly executed they say they have locations worldwide well if that's the case why am I getting routed through the US when I'm in the EU causing high latency of over 100ms...

• Preferred over Google DNS now, mostly also due to the locations Google does not cover ( for example Vienna ) + reachable over IX openly on almost every EUROIX. Sometimes getting strange GeoDNS responses though which are correct over Google DNS, should not be related though.

• Overall the performance is similar to Google https://www.dnsperf.com/#!dns-resolvers

But in some regions there are big differences. Google is also more stable