Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Resources on a KVM VPS vs cheaper classic KVM VPS that has shared resources?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Resources on a KVM VPS vs cheaper classic KVM VPS that has shared resources?

VitaVita Member
edited January 2018 in General

Hi all, and happy New year :) ,

I'm just interested in opinions about this topic. As there is a lot of providers now that provide for example a dedicated CPU Core and RAM to the user, and only selling 4-32 KVM instances per node. Also there are a lot of providers that put 100s of KVM instances on one node.

Sometimes prices are very similar or the dedicated resources are a little bit more expensive.

Would you rather go for a KVM with dedicated resources or a cheaper fair share KVM VPS?

Thanks!

Thanked by 1hoidulich
Poll not found

Comments

• teamaccteamacc Member
      edited January 2018

I prefer a third option myself: The way @exception0x876 (wishosting) sells his vpsses.

For every thread he has he sells 2 "unlimited cpu" threads to customers. This way you can max out your thread if the rest of the node is quiet, and should get reasonable (and somewhat predictable worst-case) performance if it's not.

Shared cpu nowadays is HVH-style, where you get 4 vcpu cores on a 2gb vps, but you cannot burst any significant time, or will be severely throttled at the slightest load spike.

Meanwhile, with fully dedicated cpu cores half a node might be unused, resulting in higher pricing for clients.

So to sum up my opinion: I'd like a kvm with a certain amount of guaranteed cpu performance, but with the ability to use more for load spikes that could take a little longer than the usual "serve a page to a client" burst kind of stuff.

• Vita said: Would you rather go for a KVM with dedicated resources or a cheaper fair share KVM VPS?

That very much depends on:

1) Usage

2) Provider

3) Pricing

Horses for courses, and all that.