Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question About USA Dedicated Servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question About USA Dedicated Servers

Hi people! The server I look for in terms of specs and price I get that from Reliablesite.net but I've some questions before I decide to buy from any provider in USA.

1 - I need a server for x264 Video Encoding!

2 - No website/files will be hosted.

3 No public access to server. Only myself using it.

4 - The videos I'm gonna encode will be copyrighted TV shows and Movies which I'll download from my filehosts like Rapidshare etc. and my own leech server

5 - I'll encode them and then upload to filehosts like Putlocker.com, Uploaded.net

6 - I can even download these files from torrents like thepiratebay.sx

[B]
Now, if I do this, can I get a DMCA notice and my server will be null routed or suspended![/B]

This is my only concern! I don't wanna buy something which gets suspended the next day!

I talked with their support and they said if they get a Notice they will act, but I don't know can I get notice for simply downloading and uploading files from the server?

P.S - Again won't be hosting anything, just doing encoding!

Comments

• 4 - The videos I'm gonna encode will be copyrighted TV shows and Movies which I'll download from my filehosts like Rapidshare etc. and my own leech server

You sound like a wonderful customer

• Most data centers won't go through your files and see what you're doing.
    If they see multiple DMCA reports, they'll be forced to take your server offline at a certain point in time.

• yourarnavyourarnav Member
    edited September 2013

Thanks! I appreciate your choice of words!

@doughmanes said:
    You sound like a wonderful customer

• My main questions when I won't be hosting anything and nothing will be public then I still get DMCA complaints for it?

@eric1212 said:
    Most data centers won't go through your files and see what you're doing.
    If they see multiple DMCA reports, they'll be forced to take your server offline at a certain point in time.

• @yourarnav said:
    My main questions when I won't be hosting anything and nothing will be public then I still get DMCA complaints for it?

Do you think DMCA is a live organism?

• Kindly write relevant stuff only!

@serverian said:
    Do you think DMCA is a live organism?

• @yourarnav said:
    Kindly write relevant stuff only!

You could get banned because you are distributing copyright files without permission. The only thing is that no one will go through your files in your vps

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited September 2013

The videos I'm gonna encode will be copyrighted TV shows and Movies which I'll download from my filehosts like Rapidshare etc. and my own leech server

http://hostiran.net/prices/?tab=virt
    http://irandatacenter.ir/cart.php
    http://ouriran.com/cloud_hosting_iran.cfm

Now, if I do this, can I get a DMCA notice and my server will be null routed or suspended!

No worries about DMCA if you use the 3 hosts I suggested (although you might get a knock on your door from the Feds for violating trade sanctions but that's a small price to pay for the freedom to steal someone else's copyrighted work, isn't it //sarcasm

• Why y'all support censorship! Internet suppose to be free!

@DomainBop said:

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited September 2013

Why y'all support censorship! Internet suppose to be free!

There's a huge difference between copyright violations and censorship. When you take someone's copyrighted work without paying for it you are stealing from them. If someone stole your property (for example, your car or your wallet) would you think it was OK?

• You would most likely get suspended not long after signing up. What you're doing is simply illegal.

• If you are uploading to an unmonitored end point, the server doesny host files you shouldnt get a notice. Dont torrent content to the box, pull files with out upload etc

• unless you download a ton, now a mean a TON! of files/movies you should be able to do this on any host. But yea they might kick you out since its against their TOS.

• blackblack Member
    edited September 2013

If you download torrents on pirate bay, you're at risk of a DMCA complaint... so yes there's a risk.

• wroxwrox Member
    edited September 2013

@DomainBop I fail to see how you made the connection between stealing cars/wallets/physical items and distributing copyrighted work.

There is an unlimited supply of a digital copy which can be copied as many times you want without the author actually losing money. Provided the "illegal thief" never intended to buy the work anyway (which is the case in most cases) nothing is lost. A car or wallet being stolen, something being taken away is something lost. A work that has been copied was never lost.

It for sure is not morally right to grab a copy of something without paying for it, but it certainly is not stealing.

• Thanks for jumping in!

@wrox said:
    DomainBop I fail to see how you made the connection between stealing cars/wallets/physical items and distributing copyrighted work.

There is an unlimited supply of a digital copy which can be copied as many times you want without the author actually losing money. Provided the "illegal thief" never intended to buy the work anyway (which is the case in most cases) nothing is lost. A car or wallet being stolen, something being taken away is something lost. A work that has been copied was never lost.

It for sure is not morally right to grab a copy of something without paying for it, but it certainly is not stealing.

• @DomainBop said:
    There's a huge difference between copyright violations and censorship. When you take someone's copyrighted work without paying for it you are stealing from them. If someone stole your property (for example, your car or your wallet) would you think it was OK?

PLEASE TELL ME YOU AREN'T SERIOUS

I laughed so hard at that...

• Generally speaking hosts don't police their own customers, its bad for business. However getting DMCA take down notices is also bad for business.

That said if you aren't publicly distributing copyrighted material, or downloading it from a site that is being monitored by watchdogs to the server with the specific host you should be fine.

You may be breaking their AUP/TOS and if they find out your gone, but they don't usually have access to your files (without hacking your password, which is easy btw if they have physical access to the machine).

• @yourarnav said:
    My main questions when I won't be hosting anything and nothing will be public then I still get DMCA complaints for it?

Go read up on torrents to find your answer.

• @DomainBop said:

If I could copy your car for free I would.

• If you were content creators and not consumers, you would feel differently about copyright. "A digital copy copied over and over is not the same thing as theft" however if that child like justification makes you sleep well at night, go ahead and live in the la la land of unicorns, leprechauns and fairies

• Relevant:

• After reading through this, it seemed more like a "can I get away with giving out copyrighted material without getting in trouble".

• If you have to do all this research in order to get an okay to distribute content you don't own. That's a clear sign that's it's illegal. Regardless of what your opinion is on the definition of "stealing". It's illegal.

Simply put. Go ahead. If you think you can get away with distributing other people's work as if it was yours to do so. Then by all means. Go right ahead, but if the feds come knocking down your door because you did so. I'm 100% certain that "it isn't stealing because it wasn't going to be purchased anyway so nothing was lost" BS isn't going to hold water in court.