Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for other Dediserve users?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question for other Dediserve users?

eva2000eva2000 Veteran
edited January 2018 in General

For other Dediserve users and @Dediserve

I just updated my centos linux kernel and tried to reboot server from SSH command line. And server wouldn't boot back up - this happens alot with Dediserve VPSes I have in the past each time needing ticket support to boot it up.

But tech support now says I shouldn't reboot via SSH but via their GUI control panel. But that would defeat the purpose of being able to scale and manage multiple VPS servers via SSH on Dediserve !

Anyone experience the same ?

Comments

• I've never experienced this issue on Debian and Ubuntu LTS/stable on their various clouds. I reboot often because it takes just a few secs on the locations I use.

Have you checked the output of @dediserve out-of-band console ?

I agree it's unreasonable to demand that reboot only be via the panel. I'm thinking a bootloader bug with onapp maybe?

Kernel memory is definitely allocated separately from ram assigned in CP (so it's not a host kernel like DO I think)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

CentOS7? Did you accidentally change the kernel branch ?

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited January 2018

It's CentOS 6.9 updating to latest distro kernel = 2.6.32-696.18.7.el6 64bit

Dediserve tech stated:

Your VM should be up now. Usually when this happens, the updated kernel is not a Xen kernel, so the VM is unable to boot under Xen. The kernel should be rolled back to the last usable version.

granted this is my only Xen VPS I have used.. all other VPS are KVM and OpenVZ so haven't experienced this much elsewhere

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Yeah, this is the benefit of Xen, you need to keep using the branch as configured, and cannot diverge from the Xen kernel.

Thanked by 2eva2000 vimalware
  • Ah so by design ! Xen !!!

• @eva2000 said:
    Ah so by design ! Xen !!!

We don't tend to use Xen for our Hypervisors any more, we moved to KVM some time back however we don't retire Xen HVs until they're vacant, you could request our support team move you to a KVM Hypervisor then it should work nicely.

However, I would say this isn't a common complaint even on Xen HVs, most of our customers can reboot/init 6 a VM without any issues from SSH.

Do you have a ticket ref I could review please?

Thanked by 2vimalware eva2000
  • Ah Xen. maybe less than a handful of those HVs on Dediserve.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited January 2018

dediserve said: Do you have a ticket ref I could review please?

ticket 783918 :)

ah yes moving to KVM would definitely be better too :)

• I believe my dediserve vm is still on Xen, not 100% sure as it didn't bother me too much. I never had issues with rebooting via SSH/CLI, but I only use Debian 8 or Ubuntu 16.04.