Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Network as good as Vultr (NJ)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Network as good as Vultr (NJ)?

wdogwdog Member
edited January 2018 in General

Hi,
I've got a KVM VPS with vultr in NJ I use as an openvpn server for my whole house. My connection is 100/100Mbps, in reality with no vpn active I get 100/118Mbps (Verizon Fios). With my linux homebuilt router connected as a client to the vultr openvpn server I consistently get 98/108Mbps, excellent throughput.

Due to the vultr IP address getting blocked by a few places, I spun up a nearly identical openvpn server at another excellent provider on the US east coast. Same basic vps specs, actually an additional processor vs. vultr's single processor. The IPv4 addr is very clean and I'd love to switch my router to it. The throughput though is noticeably wonkier, with me able to sometimes get 95/95Mbps, which is fine. However, it is not consistent, and it moves around a lot, with download speeds dipping to 75-80Mbps, and uploads very jumpy and sometimes only hitting 70s. I want this connection to be as consistent and full speed as possible. Basically if it were just like my vultr vps but with a different IP addr.

I have destroyed and redeployed a few times on vultr, but their IPs are more often blocked by some retailers and other sites. This other provider is not currently blocked.

Who should I look at for a $5-ish/mo kvm vps with an excellent, unwonky network likely to give my my full connection speed (or close), near the NYC area. ISO support is critical, since I want to install arch linux. BTW, both my router and the vps run arch using openvpn 2.4. I have done all sorts of mtu and buffer tweaks and am convinced that I've maxed the network performance with my current set up at the new provider. I'm also only seeing 28-30% CPU peak usage on the vps when running speed tests, so it doesn't appear to be a CPU bottleneck.

Thanks!

Thanked by 1v3ng

Comments

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

What sites / networks block the IP?

A

• wdog said: I want this connection to be as consistent and full speed as possible.

So you're expecting full line speed on a shared network connection (the vps node)?

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Try Linode, they also have a very good network.

• WSSWSS Member

@wdog said:
    Who should I look at for a $5-ish/mo kvm vps with an excellent, unwonky network likely to give my my full connection speed (or close), near the NYC area. ISO support is critical, since I want to install arch linux. BTW, both my router and the vps run arch using openvpn 2.4. I have done all sorts of mtu and buffer tweaks and am convinced that I've maxed the network performance with my current set up at the new provider. I'm also only seeing 28-30% CPU peak usage on the vps when running speed tests, so it doesn't appear to be a CPU bottleneck.

You're not going to be given unmetered Gig-E on a VPS for $5/mo. You'll be lucky if you don't get terminated on the same day if you saturate the ports by yourself. Given your suggested metrics, you need to rent a machine for yourself.

• Yeah, some retailers are definitely going to block all of the cloud ips for sure. You have to get some rotating proxies, or some dedicated/shared proxies and try to see if you can get pass the problem.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Hi,
    Thanks for the responses. Sorry, I was unclear about my network speeds, those numbers are Mbps, not MBps. So my home connection is just 100Mbps up and down. Vultr gives me this fully, with only a tiny 1-2Mbps hit on downloads and uploads. Gonna edit the OP now.

The sites in question are Macys.com, bloomingdales.com and in the past target.com. Since this connection is for my whole family, I need these to not require a lot of jumping through hoops.

• wdog said: The sites in question are Macys.com, bloomingdales.com and in the past target.com.

They are known for blocking hosting providers, along with Nike, due to abuse/fraud.

• @doughmanes said:

wdog said: The sites in question are Macys.com, bloomingdales.com and in the past target.com.

They are known for blocking hosting providers, along with Nike, due to abuse/fraud.

Yeah, I understand that. I know too that an IP that works now could be blocked at any time. That said, this new vps I just spun up works great everywhere and if I could get network performance like at vultr, I'd fully switch over.

I have a Canadian vps with openvpn that works at all the retailers too, but the Canada geolocation causes problems with some of the shopping sites.

Thanks for all the insight!

• If you want to utilize those retailers, you're going to have to deal with some shady people offering botnet SOCKS proxies. You could also try vpngate.net which is free and has some residential VPN servers.

• WSSWSS Member

I've got a crazy idea: Go to the fucking store and buy what you need.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2018

I'd say losing sleep over 80 Mbps vs 100 Mbps on a VPN is a kind of wankery. Do you really download or upload stuff at full speed that often to notice the difference? Or just want to see the number on the speed test.

Secondly, if you live in the US, what is the reason to use a US VPN at all? You don't get any geolocation, jurisdiction or privacy benefits (still in the NSA land, and both VPSes are most likely also registered under your name and paid with your cards).

• WSSWSS Member

@rm_ said:
    I'd say losing sleep over 80 Mbps vs 100 Mbps on a VPN is a kind of wankery. Do you really download or upload stuff at full speed that often to notice the difference? Or just want to see the number on the speed test.

Dude is obviously going to use it to pump-n-dump online specials, and wants as FA$$$T as possible to try to beat the other dregs of online society to checkout.

• @rm_ said:

Yeah this is what I've been asking myself, I might be getting hung up on the number. It wasn't too long ago that my home connection was just 75/75Mbps.

Secondly, if you live in the US, what is the reason to use a US VPN at all? You don't get any geolocation, jurisdiction or privacy benefits (still in the NSA land, and both VPSes are most likely also registered under your name and paid with your cards).

Right, I'm not looking to avoid the NSA or any other powerful actor or be anonymous on the Internet. Obviously with a static IP address I'm more identifiable to anyone paying attention. I use the vpn just to keep my ISP from tracking/selling/exploiting my family's browsing habits.

• @WSS said:

@rm_ said:

Dude is obviously going to use it to pump-n-dump online specials, and wants as FA$$$T as possible to try to beat the other dregs of online society to checkout.

As a newcomer to LET, I do appreciate your spirited and irreverent posts.

• @wdog said:
    Right, I'm not looking to avoid the NSA or any other powerful actor or be anonymous on the Internet. Obviously with a static IP address I'm more identifiable to anyone paying attention. I use the vpn just to keep my ISP from tracking/selling/exploiting my family's browsing habits.

LOL?

Thanked by 2doughmanes WSS
  • FYI, ex-abuse department employee here at 3 providers.

I'd hand over your information to a cop smart enough to fax something on a police department letterhead. Some providers require less.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • Perhaps static route retailer IPs when you need to shop, revert afterwards?

• @doughmanes said:
    FYI, ex-abuse department employee here at 3 providers.

I'd hand over your information to a cop smart enough to fax something on a police department letterhead. Some providers require less.

For sure, not a concern for me though. I'm just happy keeping Verizon from activing snooping on my connection. I'll not be drawing any abuse claims for the vps.

Anyway, I got it working thanks to some help from the new provider, who were very attentive and enabled cpu passthrough allowing me to consistently get 95/95 over the vpn. Good enough! Solved for now.

• @wdog said:
    Anyway, I got it working thanks to some help from the new provider, who were very attentive and enabled cpu passthrough allowing me to consistently get 95/95 over the vpn. Good enough! Solved for now.

I'd be interested in knowing who you ended up going with?

• Dude, stop using openvpn and you should definitely try shadowsocks or shdowsocksR. Faster, secure, the chance of getting IP banned is also lower!

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

If you can stretch the budget, get a /24 and ASN from ARIN and use them with Vultr. Won't have any additional problems with blocks/bans.

• @JackieSung said:
    Dude, stop using openvpn and you should definitely try shadowsocks or shdowsocksR. Faster, secure, the chance of getting IP banned is also lower!

This comment makes no sense and has no application to the use-case described by OP.

• In the country im currently living, that's the case. It doesn't have to be openvpn. You can run Shadowsocks and ShadowsocksR on router too. Because of openvpn's unique MSS value, ISP can determine if the user is connected via OpenVPN and take the initiative to interfere with your connection.That's why your download and upload speed is unstable. And may get IP blocked.

@teamacc said:

@JackieSung said:
    Dude, stop using openvpn and you should definitely try shadowsocks or shdowsocksR. Faster, secure, the chance of getting IP banned is also lower!

This comment makes no sense and has no application to the use-case described by OP.