Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

openvz vps-server time sync issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

openvz vps-server time sync issue

We have one openvz server and have some vps on it

few days before one client said that the server time needs to synchronise his server time to his local

I entered his whm and set time zone Amsterdam/Europe(the zone he wants)

but the time still shows 5 to 10 minutes delayed, On searching i found that we need to synchronise node time for this.

To this happen, we need to install NTPD(Network Time Protocol) on our node server

=====

yum install ntp ntpdate ntp-doc

chkconfig ntpd on

then,

Synchronize the system clock

ntpdate vps-name

/etc/init.d/ntpd start

you can edit the conf file here

vi /etc/ntp.conf

Comments

• It isn't summer yet t.t

Thanked by 1Harzem
  • Thanks mr tech wizard

Thanked by 1Harzem
  • Wow, you need to synchronize node's time to change the containers' time in an openVZ server?

What's next? That you can only have the virtual servers running, only if the node server is running?

You learn something new everyday, huh?

What was the technical reason you opted to use openvz instead of any other tech like xen or kvm? Was it anything other than the ability to oversell easily?

• @Harzem said:
    Wow, you need to synchronize node's time to change the containers' time in an openVZ server?

What's next? That you can only have the virtual servers running, only if the node server is running?

You learn something new everyday, huh?

What was the technical reason you opted to use openvz instead of any other tech like xen or kvm? Was it anything other than the ability to oversell easily?

funny, what do you think buddy. We all learn something new everyday

• techiwizard said: funny, what do you think buddy. We all learn something new everyday

But we don't start selling vps services to others if we don't know the simplest of linux rules.

It's like a prostitute saying "Woah, I can use my mouth too?"

Thanked by 2raindog308 WSS
  • This is just a SEO purpose post. He'll have some links on his sig in a few.

Thanked by 2hostdare WSS
  • @doughmanes said:
    This is just a SEO purpose post. He'll have some links on his sig in a few.

Can confirm that OP regged with a @somehostingprovider email address. Probably trying to get to 10 posts to get his provider tag.

Compared to some of the other posting (some polls) this is almost useful content anyway, but it makes me worry for OP's technical skills.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

@doughmanes said:
    This is just a SEO purpose post. He'll have some links on his sig in a few.

No ,it seems for post count only

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

Not to mention that unless the containers are really setup wrong, you can't get OpenVZ as a sub-kernel to actually allow you to set a local time- yet another reason why KVM is such a better option for most.

If you are stuck with a shitty OVZ container and your host (possibly much the OP) are generally too dumb to get things setup correctly, your only solution other than finding a competent provider is to use libfaketime to intercept calls and give it the time you want it to have.

This, however, is a dangerous thing to do for anything you care about. Find another host.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Harzem said: It's like a prostitute saying "Woah, I can use my mouth too?"

As I look at this guy's request for the provider tag, I keep coming back to this in my mind and laughing.

• hzrhzr Member

raindog308 said: As I look at this guy's request for the provider tag, I keep coming back to this in my mind and laughing.

>

What is customers particularly looking for ????

• WSSWSS Member

@hzr said:

raindog308 said: As I look at this guy's request for the provider tag, I keep coming back to this in my mind and laughing.

>

What is customers particularly looking for ????

Down boy! Down!