Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for modest spec KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for modest spec KVM

I'm looking for a little something for a new project. It's for running NextCloud and a small emby server, so there will be occasional transcoding, but usage will be very light.

Rough requirements as follows:

• KVM
  • 1GB RAM+
  • CPU - I need access to upto 1.5k of passmark, very occasionally. Don't mind if this is fair-share access to a few cores or dedicated access to part of one.
  • 50GB of storage. SSD preferred, but not essential.
  • 100Mb connection
  • 100GB data transfer
  • Location - Europe, Amsterdam or France preferred.
Thanked by 1MichaelCee

Comments

• I would suggest BuyVM Dedicated KVM Slices
    Since you mentioned you need some good CPU, having a dedicated CPU would help
    https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices
    Specs:
    ¼ Core @ 3.50+ GHz
    Fair Share CPU Usage
    1024 MB Memory
    20 GB SSD Storage
    Unmetered Bandwidth
    1 IPv4 Address
    $3.50 per month

Disclaimer: I do not work for BuyVM or have any affiliation to them. I just really like their service.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • scorcher9scorcher9 Member
    edited December 2017

Imagine using one of those tags 228 times, and showing up on the front page widget.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • Gods said: I would suggest BuyVM Dedicated KVM Slices Since you mentioned you need some good CPU, having a dedicated CPU would help https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices Specs: ¼ Core @ 3.50+ GHz Fair Share CPU Usage 1024 MB Memory 20 GB SSD Storage Unmetered Bandwidth 1 IPv4 Address $3.50 per month

I didn't enjoy my last experience in Lux with BuyVM and in no hurry to go back, plus it's $15/month to meet my minimum requirements in all areas.

• GodsGods Member
    edited December 2017

@Nekki said:

Gods said: I would suggest BuyVM Dedicated KVM Slices Since you mentioned you need some good CPU, having a dedicated CPU would help https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices Specs: ¼ Core @ 3.50+ GHz Fair Share CPU Usage 1024 MB Memory 20 GB SSD Storage Unmetered Bandwidth 1 IPv4 Address $3.50 per month

I didn't enjoy my last experience in Lux with BuyVM and in no hurry to go back, plus it's $15/month to meet my minimum requirements in all areas.

Well you can try Scaleway. Not the best CPUs but super cheap. 2.99 Euro on BareMetal SSD Cloud Server matches your specs. But since these are like shitty CPUs I would go for the C2S. Or go for the ARMv8 Cloud Servers.

• Gods said: Well you can try Scaleway. Not the best CPUs but super cheap. 2.99 Euro on BareMetal SSD Cloud Server matches your specs. But since these are like shitty CPUs I would go for the C2S. Or go for the ARMv8 Cloud Servers.

Those €2.99 boxes may be worth a look. The C2S are in Kimsufi pricing territory, more than I was looking to spend. Not fucking about with ARMv8.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

If you can wait about 11 months, @Nekki will be leading a massive sale thread here...

• @Nekki have you looked at Aruba cloud? That is VMware through.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2017

@VMHaus 's 1GB plan for $5/m runs on E3-1270v6 and should have 2500+ passmark on the quad-core CPU. They'll add more storage for more dollars if you ask nicely.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • @TheKiller said:
    @Nekki have you looked at Aruba cloud? That is VMware through.

only 20GB though.

@Nekki if you can live without fancy whmcs/solus/virtualizor but plain proxmox I can hook you up with 2vC/2GB/100GB at OVH, for like... 25€ a year? ;-)

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Hey Nekki,

We could do this at $14/mo with our 4GB plan if you wish?

4 shared cores.
    4GB RAM.
    50GB Storage.

We sadly can't do the storage with lower ram as both are sold as an equal ratio as we don't oversell.

Topups are as little as $3 if you wish to try it out. A lot more bandwidth than you asked but 16TB should you need.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • raindog308 said: If you can wait about 11 months, @Nekki will be leading a massive sale thread here...

Give it about 6 months, when I've been a Virmach customer log enough to see all those weird specials that are no practical use.

TheKiller said: @Nekki have you looked at Aruba cloud? That is VMware through.

Don't trust'em. Don't ask me why, just don't.

Falzo said: @Nekki if you can live without fancy whmcs/solus/virtualizor but plain proxmox I can hook you up with 2vC/2GB/100GB at OVH, for like... 25€ a year? ;-)

Thanks for the offer - is that on that whacking great big OVH special you were offering up?

vmhaus said: Hey Nekki,

We could do this at $14/mo with our 4GB plan if you wish?

4 shared cores.

4GB RAM.
    50GB Storage.

We sadly can't do the storage with lower ram as both are sold as an equal ratio as we don't oversell.

More than I'm looking to pay for this project, but thanks for the offer. I did look at one of your recent specials ($7/month) but the disk space would have been a little bit of a squeeze.

Thanked by 1vmhaus
  • I can do this in NL:

4 Shared Cores
    2GB RAM 
    50GB RAID10 SAS
    4TB Bandwidth @ 1Gbps
    $7/month

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • I'll also activate it for free until 01/01/2018 so you can test if it's suitable before paying.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited December 2017

Ishaq said: I'll also activate it for free until 01/01/2018 so you can test if it's suitable before paying.

I appreciate the offer, but I can't get things sorted that fast.

I'll keep the $7/month offer in mind.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I think I can do one of the BF plans in France if you'd want.

1GB DDR4 RAM
    1 Core (E3v6 3.8GHz)
    50GB NVMe SSD
    2.5TB @ 500Mbps
    1 IPv4/IPv6
    $5/mo.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • @Nekki said: I appreciate the offer, but I can't get things sorted that fast.

How long you need? Can do 7 days.

• Ishaq said: How long you need? Can do 7 days.

With my schedule, could be months before I get started. I'm sure it'd be fine anyhow.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • @Nekki said:

Falzo said: @Nekki if you can live without fancy whmcs/solus/virtualizor but plain proxmox I can hook you up with 2vC/2GB/100GB at OVH, for like... 25€ a year? ;-)

Thanks for the offer - is that on that whacking great big OVH special you were offering up?

more likely on one of his siblings, but yeah, that would be the kind of hostnode :-)

• UltraVPSUltraVPS Member, Patron Provider

Hi @Nekki,

we can offer the following in the Netherlands:

UltraKVM-50

• 2 GB RAM
    • 2 CPU Cores
    • 50 GB RAID-10 Storage
    • 2 TB Monthly Transfer
    • 1 IPv4 address
    • 10 IPv6 addresses (from your own /64 IPv6 subnet)
    • Contract term: 3 months

6 EUR per month incl. 19% VAT (~ 6 USD excl. VAT)

>> Further Information <<

Do you have any questions? Please do not hesitate to drop us a mail at [email protected].

• @MikeA said:
    I think I can do one of the BF plans in France if you'd want.

1GB DDR4 RAM
    1 Core (E3v6 3.8GHz)
    50GB NVMe SSD
    2.5TB @ 500Mbps
    1 IPv4/IPv6
    $5/mo.

Seized one! Nice! Thanks!!!

• Thanks for all the offers; I've had an excellent custom offer from @Infinity, so probably going with that.

Thread can be closed, if a moderator would be so awfully kind.

This discussion has been closed.