Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

12TB SED Drives
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

12TB SED Drives

Been trying to get hold of a bunch (6 - 8) of 8 - 12 TB SED drives for work, and haven't had much luck finding them here in the US, not sure why they're not so readily available.
We were looking at the Seagate ST12000NM0037 drives, mainly because we'll be using ESXi and Windows VMs, and still need 512n or 512e drives, and these can do 512e and 4Kn.
Anyone know where I can get drives from?
Thanks!

Comments

• More expensive than other places had them listed at, and I also don't like buying expensive components from random sites, any idea if they're reliable?

• If you've already done the work involved- shit or get off the pot.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • @WSS said:
    If you've already done the work involved- shit or get off the pot.

I know you like 4 letter words, but if there's anything helpful there, can you kindly explain?

• isaacl said: More expensive than other places had them listed at, and I also don't like buying expensive components from random sites, any idea if they're reliable?

>

zones is VERY far from 'random site'

• @isaacl If you find "zones" to be too low quality for your needs, you obviously have the ability to pick up a telephone and call your vendor to provide them.

• Just never used them or heard of them previously, if they're reliable, that should work well, thanks.

And I tried a few other vendors and none had them available, or they had an ETA of a few weeks.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

Zones did 1.2b in sales last year. They are a real company. "Reliable" isn't really applicable here.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Definitely works, thanks.

• A little clicking around gives me the impression that drive is discontinued. No idea if the current stuff (Ironwolf?) supports 512b sectors.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

A little clicking around gives me the impression that drive is discontinued.

The drive is part of their current portfolio -- they are called "Seagate Exos X12" and just hit the market. (https://blog.seagate.com/intelligent/seagate-launches-12tb-enterprise-capacity-hdd-for-next-generation-data-centers-at-ocp-2017/). The part number can be found on the PDF datasheet on this page (https://www.seagate.com/enterprise-storage/exos-drives/exos-x-drives/) under X12.

I believe the OP is seeing some vendors have week lead times because its a new disk that was released in December 2017.

• Yeah, think they only recently came out, which is why they're hard to get, the nice part is that this drive can be switched between 512e and 4Kn modes, so once the software/OS that we're using supports it, we can theoretically switch over to use 4K sectors.
    And because we need the SED drives, there aren't too many options, and the 8TB SED options seem to be discontinued, though there was a 10TB option, but these should work nicely...