Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Control Panels
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Control Panels

adlyadly Veteran
edited December 2017 in General

I'm curious what the people here think about the current VPS control panel options, both providers and customers. It seems like SolusVM is dead/dying and v2 is vapourware at this point, and Virtualizor has it's detractors.

What would people like to see/what makes existing panels suck for you? All comments welcome.

(Full disclosure: I may be doing something in this area.)

Comments

• Thank god. We needed another control panel.

Thanked by 2hostdare Wolveix
  • adlyadly Veteran
    edited December 2017
  • Perfect control panel needs 2 (two) buttons only:

1. Fix everything

2. Make money

Now go! DO IT.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • Yura said: Fix everything

>

uh no it shouldnt have bugs in the first place

• Define 'everything'.

• @hzr said:

Yura said: Fix everything

>

It's an alias to 'sudo shutdown -h now'

Thanked by 1Yura
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Everyone is forgetting the alternative control panels: VMmanager, Proxmox, Sadeem, Archipel, Feathur (project is dead), OpenNode, XO and WebVirtMgr.

Ok, some of them are non production control panels, but still it’s control panel to manage VMs.

• @hzr said:

Yura said: Fix everything

>

Microsoft Engineer tells me that?! #shock

Thanked by 2adly MikeA
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Not directly an answer to your question, but if you intend to build a control panel commercially, expect several years of running at a loss. It's not easy to convince providers to switch control panels - and for good reason, their livelihood relies on it, and migrations tend to be very painful and risky. So make sure you understand the economics before starting on it.

• Perhaps it's reinventing the wheel, but clearly there an issue of hosts are sticking with SolusVM.

• @joepie91 said:
    Not directly an answer to your question, but if you intend to build a control panel commercially, expect several years of running at a loss. It's not easy to convince providers to switch control panels - and for good reason, their livelihood relies on it, and migrations tend to be very painful and risky. So make sure you understand the economics before starting on it.

Appreciate the response. I know the industry is cut-throat and I wouldn't be expecting miracles overnight. As for starting on it, it's already feature-complete and been used in house for some time, but I'm moving on from that project.

I'm not looking at making money on anything right now. I'd be looking at free for the next 12 months minimum, and code reviews prior to anything remotely commercial.

• So, what's it written in?

• adlyadly Veteran
    edited December 2017

@WSS the majority of components are C++, mainly making use of libvirt node side. Some Python using Cython for dashboard.

• @adly Well, that should get rid of many dependencies, then- but as a CGI, it has to have a bit of a performance hit, unless they're fastCGI compatible. Will be interesting to see what you have to offer.

• @WSS node is generally minimal. It's possible to use libvirtd directly from the controller without any node side additional components. I'm planning on a CLI-only release shortly that will be OSS - probably ISC license. Would be glad if you checked it out.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2017

@adly said:
    @WSS node is generally minimal. It's possible to use libvirtd directly from the controller without any node side additional components. I'm planning on a CLI-only release shortly that will be OSS - probably ISC license. Would be glad if you checked it out.

So, basically a replacement for virsh? I'd be happy to toy with it. I hate the times I have to go back through the nodes' XML and fix what isn't quite "right".

• cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

I have this I was working on https://vscppanel.com mostly it seems done but I need some beta testers or some sort of to test it for me & help make it as much stable as possible before final public release(which is why I was hesitant on releasing it yet)

Thanked by 1rickey318
  • @WSS I suppose the CLI version will be similar to virsh but will be simpler to use. More along the lines of vzctl (without the suck of OpenVZ), but backend agnostic.

• @cubedata said:
    I have this I was working on https://vscppanel.com mostly it seems done

Well, that's a pretty 500.

• @cubedata the website doesn't load, the name sucks and given that your website doesn't even handle using www. I'm hesitant to trust your coding skills. Please feel free to share what you have.

• I wrote a virsh frontend WHMCS-like panel (billing, administration, and on-demand hourly VMs) for fun (it's a mess, and it's name is Scorpio). Thanks to @francisco for giving me the idea.

@WSS said:

@cubedata said:

500 error? might be the security restrictions I placed on apache to allow only access via hostname(fqdn) instead of via ip address.

• @cubedata said:

@WSS said:

@cubedata said:

500 error? might be the security restrictions I placed on apache to allow only access via hostname(fqdn) instead of via ip address.

For whatever reason, it eventually times out with a 500. I'm not trying anything magical like sniffing your server config/applet/etc. I just clicked the link in Chrome. It's quite broken for me.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

cubedata said: might be the security restrictions I placed on apache to allow only access via hostname(fqdn) instead of via ip address.

...?

What does disallowing IP access have to do with 'security'?

@WSS said:

@cubedata said:

@WSS said:

@cubedata said:

For whatever reason, it eventually times out with a 500. I'm not trying anything magical like sniffing your server config/applet/etc. I just clicked the link in Chrome. It's quite broken for me.

@joepie91 said:

cubedata said: might be the security restrictions I placed on apache to allow only access via hostname(fqdn) instead of via ip address.

...?

What does disallowing IP access have to do with 'security'?

that would be my fault I switched to another cms and was trying to setup multiple sites on one cms install and it appears my cubedata site loads fine the other for my panel doesn't. I was using modx to do this with and must have somehow not linked the second domain in the cms very well.

@adly said:
    @cubedata the website doesn't load, the name sucks and given that your website doesn't even handle using www. I'm hesitant to trust your coding skills. Please feel free to share what you have.

I have fixed it finally, try looking now: https://vscppanel.com/ though you do realize www was for "world wide web" which I don't even think that prefix matters today anymore anyway(could be wrong) since it was used long time ago when the "internet" started. circa 1989 when tim berners lee actually created what we call the internet today.

• @cubedata I hope your software is more implemented than this site.

• @cubedata still slow, website sucks. I'm not worried. Release what you have.

• gleertgleert Member, Host Rep

adly said: @cubedata still slow, website sucks. I'm not worried. Release what you have.

Why don't you just release what you have instead of bashing @cubedata

• 6ixth6ixth Member
    edited December 2017

My new panel is going to be the best in the bidness.

Sneak Peek:

Changed my mind actually encase any of you filthy LET folk steal my ideas.