Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gmail Help – Any way to forward without body/content?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Gmail Help – Any way to forward without body/content?

Hi all,

First I hope you all had a good christmas!

I already research and thought about it but not yet found a solution ☹

The scenario is:

I have 2 Gmail accounts ([email protected] + [email protected]) and I want that every time an email is received on [email protected] account, to be alerted on [email protected] by receiving an email.

This could be done with a simple forward.. but in this case will not work, because I don’t want to send the body/content of the email. I just want to send the subject and/or an email informing that an email was received.

In a simple way and to resume, I want to receive on [email protected] an email notification every time an email is received on [email protected]. The notification email should not have the body/content. Only the subject or a pre-defined email template text saying an email was received.

Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Thanks!

Comments

• What is the issue with receiving the body of the email lmao?

• mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

Maybe some sort of script (PHP?) running on a cron that checks for new messages on email1, defines the subject as a variable, and then composes a new message to email2 with the variable plus whatever else....

• nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited December 2017

@6ixth said:
    What is the issue with receiving the body of the email lmao?

Privacy and security reasons. It's a email I only use for sensitive information and dont want to login into it every day just to check if I have new mail. I want to be informed on my regular day-by-day email when I have new emails on the other account.

• @nqservices said:

@6ixth said:
    What is the issue with receiving the body of the email lmao?

Privacy and security reasons. It's a email I only use for sensitive information and dont want to login into it every day just to check if I have new mail. I want to be informed on my regular day-by-day email when I have new emails on the other account.

Sounds dodgy but yes, you'll need to create a custom script. Something like this doesn't currently exist publicly from my google search.

• I think it should be fairly easy to do with IFTTT or similar service

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2017

atomi said: I think it should be fairly easy to do with IFTTT or similar service

nqservices said: Privacy and security reasons. It's a email I only use for sensitive information and dont want to login into it every day

Yeah, so the advice is that you just give your login credentials to "IFTTT or similar service" and they'll login every day into it for you. (facepalm)

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • Thanks all for the suggestions. The thing is that the [email protected] is protected using the new Gmail Advanced Protection (https://landing.google.com/advancedprotection/) and because of that it will not allow connections to external services.

This email is the email account I want to use on "critical" services, like my bank for example. But I don't want to have to login each day manualy to see if there are new messages and for sure I don't want to setup this "secure" account on my Android phone.

One of the security features of my bank is to send a email notification every time a login is made. Also some operations can only be made after clicking on a secure link received by email. So that is why I need to be notified at the exact time and the content/body of email cannot be sent, because it will contain the "secure link".

Im still looking for a solution.. but it seems hard. I will also contact Gmail team directly but their response should take some time...

So if ayone has any other idea please share.

• So, you want to know when you get a security message (via SMTP, naturally), but you don't want to have to check for it..

• @WSS said:
    So, you want to know when you get a security message (via SMTP, naturally), but you don't want to have to check for it..

I just want to be notified on [email protected] every time a email arrives to the "secure" [email protected] account.

• There are hooks above which you should be able to script for without touching the content itself, as linked priorly. If you're using a keyfob/etc, it's way beyond my non-paygrade for Google email integration.

• needavpsneedavps Member
    edited December 2017

I must be confused about the obvious but doesn't gmail have a forwarding email option. If you are just looking to forward all email to this "secure email" than I don't see how you can't set forwarding within gmail because logically any non native external tool that you try to access a "secure email" would be insecure. heh.

• He doesn't want to read it. He just wants an alert to do so.

I'd consider him setting a return path to email2, and setting a vacation prompt on email3 which sends him a "Read you email, fuck-o" message, but not only is that hacky as hell, but it sends email1 to email3, which isn't secure.

It'd do what he wants, as long as he makes it flush messages afterward, of course.

• @WSS said:
    He doesn't want to read it. He just wants an alert to do so.

I'd consider him setting a return path to email2, and setting a vacation prompt on email3 which sends him a "Read you email, fuck-o" message, but not only is that hacky as hell, but it sends email1 to email3, which isn't secure.

It'd do what he wants, as long as he makes it flush messages afterward, of course.

No. the real answer is not to use gmail; setup a dedicated server; filter the email yourself.
    Absolutely no reason you would want to do this with an email provider that is not yourself and call it secure.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @needavps said:

@WSS said:

No. the real answer is not to use gmail; setup a dedicated server; filter the email yourself.
    Absolutely no reason you would want to do this with an email provider that is not yourself and call it secure.

• needavpsneedavps Member
    edited December 2017

@WSS said:

@needavps said:

@WSS said:

a picture of someone talking to a wall is more offensive effective ;p

• It's a mirrored wall!

• @WSS said:
    It's a mirrored wall!

... non reflective wall.

• @needavps said:

@WSS said:
    It's a mirrored wall!

... non reflective wall.

It's not my job to unstupid requests, just to do them.

• @WSS said:

@needavps said:

@WSS said:
    It's a mirrored wall!

... non reflective wall.

you do them anyway without being requested though...................................

• @needavps said:

@WSS said:

@needavps said:

@WSS said:
    It's a mirrored wall!

... non reflective wall.

you do them anyway without being requested though...................................

Bitch. I'll cut you.

• @WSS said:

@needavps said:

@WSS said:

@needavps said:

@WSS said:
    It's a mirrored wall!

... non reflective wall.

Bitch. I'll cut you.

........... like; that's a given to most people you interact with.

Anyway; @nqservices I don't recommend you do this with gmail.

• Thanks all for the suggestions and ideas ;)

I will keep researching for a solution. Of course if anyone has any more ideas feel free to share!

• IP check pls @jarland.

• @WSS said:
    IP check pls @jarland.

???

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2017

Ignore our fellow @WSS, he's on the wrong track here. He probably thought that you might be a protonmail shill.

Good to see that you found a solution! I was planning something similar, bit I guess that I would rather like to do it without involving another eMail provider, so still looking.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @Amitz said:
    Ignore our fellow @WSS, he's on the wrong track here. He probably thought that you might be a protonmail shill.

After awhile of every "self resolving" post looking like a nail..

Congrats on a functioning workaround, @nqservices.