Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

solaris VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

solaris VPS

Hello

I would like to see something new and other than linux so is there anyone who can supply VPS with solaris support? I want to see it just because of my curiosity, so I don't need any powerful speed, also location doesn't matter/

Comments

• pervert

Thanked by 2lion angelius
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Can't you run a Solaris ISO on any VPS hosting where you can use your own ISO?

• @marson said:
    I would like to see something new and other than linux so is there anyone who can supply VPS with solaris support? I want to see it just because of my curiosity, so I don't need any powerful speed, also location doesn't matter/

The common wisdom is that Solaris is (effectively) dead, so why bother? If, in addition, you want Solaris support, that will cost you big $$$. Not worth it in my opinion.

If you simply want to try a free Solaris-like OS, your best bet is probably OpenIndiana.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2017

And its latest release is codenamed "Hipster"! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenIndiana

Should be no problem running that on any KVM host with custom ISO support. As for what else is there aside from GNU/Linux, you could also try BSDs, especially of the more esoteric nature such as DragonFlyBSD.

• Get a @VMHaus (or hose) hourly billed VPS. Would cost pretty cheap as it's hourly billed given that testing ISO won't take many days.

Thanked by 1vmhaus
  • @marson said:
    Hello

I would like to see something new and other than linux

What about FreeBSD? :)

BTW UltraVPS (Bradler & Krantz) uses SmartDC HVM (from Joyent/Samsung) and ZFS. SmartOS is specifically designed as an OS for running virtual machines. It combines OpenSolaris technology with Linux's KVM virtualization.

For an analysis about Solaris/SmartOS/illumos take a look at: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12837972

• Mnx.io. they're awesome!

• For all of you suggesting Solaris you obviously haven't looked all that deeply.

The most recent Incarnation, SmartOS, is actually designed to run off of a USB stick and is quite a task to get installed. MNX, as I mentioned above, is one of the few which will actually offer you a SmartOS template.

Their cheapest plan is under a gigabyte of RAM, and is $5 a month. Last year they had a half off special, but they did not participate this year due to the fact that were all scum-sucking losers (my words not theirs).

Thanked by 1mfs
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

angstrom said: The common wisdom

Oh I think we're past wisdom and into unrefuted press coverage :-) Solaris development is dead. Oracle won't come out and say that but they also haven't issued any stern contradictions of widely-reported stories of Solaris's demise.

Solaris (on SPARC hardware) will be supported until end of current life but no new versions. Solaris on x86 was dead a long time ago.

Even if you could get a Solaris VPS (zone perhaps?), you'd be buying a share of a SPARC server and your VPS would probably cost hundreds per month.

If you're a Linux person and want to try something different, the logical alternative is Free/Open/NetBSD, or (more radically) Windows.

Thanked by 1devp
  • @raindog308 said:

angstrom said: The common wisdom

Solaris (on SPARC hardware) will be supported until end of current life but no new versions. Solaris on x86 was dead a long time ago.

Other than Joyent, you know, those shitheads who are destroying our lives with Node. There were several other forks, but SmartOS is the reigning champion. Also, native ZFS and a much more scalable management for KVMs than Linux generally handles, but hey- whatever.

Even if you could get a Solaris VPS (zone perhaps?), you'd be buying a share of a SPARC server and your VPS would probably cost hundreds per month.

I don't recall him asking for Sparc. Hell, I gave away my last Sparc more than a decade ago. I miss it, but after I managed to patch the hardware to work in 7, I stopped caring. Solaris/x86 was always a joke, but oddly, it's the one that will outlive us all.

If you're a Linux person and want to try something different, the logical alternative is Free/Open/NetBSD, or (more radically) Windows.

You didn't mention DragonFlyBSD, MirBSD, et al. This guy makes shit threads as often as I do, but c'mon, this is just poor advice, and you should feel bad.

• Thanks for all your anserrs @angstrom by solaris support I mean about installation possibility not an support with solving the problems ;) but you are probably right I better try my luck with FreeBSD, his HandBook looks great so why not.

Thanked by 1angstrom

WSS said: Other than Joyent, you know, those shitheads who are destroying our lives with Node. There were several other forks, but SmartOS is the reigning champion. Also, native ZFS and a much more scalable management for KVMs than Linux generally handles, but hey- whatever.

Solaris is dead, dude.

It's ironic to mention Joyent here since they are literally a hosting deadpooler who screwed their customers with unreasonable promises.

WSS said: You didn't mention DragonFlyBSD, MirBSD, et al. This guy makes shit threads as often as I do, but c'mon, this is just poor advice, and you should feel bad.

?

I didn't mention DragonflyBSD, etc. because I wouldn't recommend a Linux guy jump into an obscure BSD when they could start with a more mainstream, well supported BSD.

I mean, there's also Plan 9...or Menuet.

Thanked by 1mfs
  • @raindog308 said:
    Solaris is dead, dude.

Anything Larry Ellison dies. Waiting for Oracle, personally. Sun was awesome, though.

It's ironic to mention Joyent here since they are literally a hosting deadpooler who screwed their customers with unreasonable promises.

They also do Node. COINCIDENCE!?

WSS said: You didn't mention DragonFlyBSD, MirBSD, et al. This guy makes shit threads as often as I do, but c'mon, this is just poor advice, and you should feel bad.

I mean, there's also Plan 9...or Menuet.

Welcome back to LET. However, Kolibri is more LET than a "stock" distribution.

• @marson said:
    Thanks for all your anserrs @angstrom by solaris support I mean about installation possibility not an support with solving the problems ;) but you are probably right I better try my luck with FreeBSD, his HandBook looks great so why not.

The thing is that a provider can't simply offer a Solaris ISO, because Solaris isn't free. If you have a provider whose control panel allows you to upload your own ISO, you could upload a Solaris ISO yourself and install it, but ultimately there would be little point in doing so, especially on a VPS, because you wouldn't get any updates from Oracle unless you purchased a support contract. Not to mention that Solaris is dead.

Solaris lives on in legacy installations in industry, which Oracle milks with expensive support contracts, but unless you have a legacy Solaris installation that you crucially depend on for your bread and butter, it would be best to simply forget Solaris.

FreeBSD is a good choice if you're a newcomer to BSD.

WSS said: Anything Larry Ellison dies. Waiting for Oracle, personally. Sun was awesome, though.

Solaris would have died no matter who owned it. Linux brought commoditization of the operating system.

I don't think you'll see many more versions of HP-UX. AIX survives only because it's IBM and they already have to do R&D for mainframe and iSeries. Tru64? Dead. Irix? Long dead. Etc. There's just no money in selling Unix operating systems any more. Proprietary Unix? Dead.

• Awesome 80's flashback thread. Not many know enough about Solaris to do any support anymore.

• @raindog308 said:

WSS said: Anything Larry Ellison dies. Waiting for Oracle, personally. Sun was awesome, though.

Solaris would have died no matter who owned it. Linux brought commoditization of the operating system.

Eh.. there are/were some die-hard Fortune 500s that would happily run Solaris/Sparc until the end of time. Ellison killed it. OpenSolaris was actually seeing a bit of a resurgence until everyone got pissed at Oracle doing what Oracle does, and gave up and left.

Plenty of stable KVMs are built around SmartOS- and I don't mean LET hosts, even if there are one or two of them (MNX.io).

I don't think you'll see many more versions of HP-UX. AIX survives only because it's IBM and they already have to do R&D for mainframe and iSeries. Tru64? Dead. Irix? Long dead. Etc. There's just no money in selling Unix operating systems any more. Proprietary Unix? Dead.

HPUX has been on a death spiral since the 90s, though. Solaris was King up through the mid-2000s. AIX doesn't exist in a perfect world. Tru64 is dead because Compaq; otherwise there'd be holdouts for that, too. SGI died and went to Windows, so yeah, that wasn't really going anywhere. The biggest problem IRIX had (IMO) is their staunch shitty support of things-not-SGI. I don't think they ever managed to get a non-SGI compiler with a working resolver, but I stopped caring long, long ago.

• I have within one of my personal enterprise racks an SunMicrosystem (SunFire) T2000, Niagra CoolThreads SPARC based running Solaris 11.3, I know this is a few years late but I also have a viable subnet here and could commission you with an install & account for testing and such, heck you could host a good server because they are very well made and mine runs like new being the second auxiliary unit which came to be still originally boxed up.

I'd be happy to arrange something for you sometime, I guess i'd have to charge for some energy usage but only because im presently not fully employed but thats if you dont mind.. No leccy, no usage eh but you are welcome to use the bandwidth for free during said process.

• edited February 2022

@bigdidge said:
    I have within one of my personal enterprise racks an SunMicrosystem (SunFire) T2000, Niagra CoolThreads SPARC based running Solaris 11.3, I know this is a few years late but I also have a viable subnet here and could commission you with an install & account for testing and such, heck you could host a good server because they are very well made and mine runs like new being the second auxiliary unit which came to be still originally boxed up.

I'd be happy to arrange something for you sometime, I guess i'd have to charge for some energy usage but only because im presently not fully employed but thats if you dont mind.. No leccy, no usage eh but you are welcome to use the bandwidth for free during said process.

Wow, a 5yr necro. Good job yo.

To quote @angstrom - no congratulations on your first post.

Thanked by 2angstrom skorous
  • @bigdidge said:
    I have within one of my personal enterprise racks an SunMicrosystem (SunFire) T2000, Niagra CoolThreads SPARC based running Solaris 11.3, I know this is a few years late but I also have a viable subnet here and could commission you with an install & account for testing and such, heck you could host a good server because they are very well made and mine runs like new being the second auxiliary unit which came to be still originally boxed up.

Yeah, holy-holy necro

Not to mention that in the meantime, we concluded that Solaris was dead

• Plenty of SmartOS in my core datacenter deployment. The best thing about SmartOS is that you keep all the local disks for storage, because the OS just lives in ramdisk.

I would be more interested in Power8 or 9 VPS. If it weren't for the stupid power requirements of a Power8 I would have gotten one from ebay to do devs on.