Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Domains for forerver

Domains for forerver

Hello!

I am new to LET!

Today browse domain news and sites and got that a provider called epik offer a service that make a domain registered forever. For example a .com register for forever is 420 USD one time fee.

https://registrar.epik.com/prices

The last field is "FOREVER".

Any opinions?

What is your opinion domain will expire ever?
  1. What is your opinion domain will expire ever?45 votes
    1. Yes
      66.67%
    2. No
      33.33%

Do you have a mail in a box?

Comments

  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited December 2017

    No such thing that lasts forever.

    All registries have expiry date for domain leases.

    The domain registrations are actually leases, and renewals are lease renewals.

    You never own a domain.

    Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • It'll expire when that business expires. Nothing is forever, especially anything in the hosting industry

  • deankdeank Member
    edited December 2017

    You can't even own a domain. You are merely leasing it.

    You can pay whatever amount to a register but when they stop paying ICANN, it will be gone.

    LET-Lives-Matter | I am a sarcastic troll and has a fetish in PMS. For kids, PMS means "Premenstrual syndrome" and guys can have PMS.

  • I am just curious what will turn out in WHOIS record

  • @FAT32 said: I am just curious what will turn out in WHOIS record

    My guess is 10 years, same as the max registration elsewhere.

    @partymonger said: Actually math is pretty much my thing. I was just hoping someone already did the calculation - upto32.com - neckbeard nerdiness.

  • Yeah, pretty sure they will make a run at 10 years, making a nice sum of money overall. Can't even chargeback or anything at that point.

    A nice scam attempt actually.

    LET-Lives-Matter | I am a sarcastic troll and has a fetish in PMS. For kids, PMS means "Premenstrual syndrome" and guys can have PMS.

  • Little point in it. Even with outrageous Network Solution prices one basically prepays for 12 years. Assuming a more standard pricing of about $9 one would actually prepay for about 47 years.

  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited December 2017

    @deank said: Yeah, pretty sure they will make a run at 10 years, making a nice sum of money overall. Can't even chargeback or anything at that point.

    A nice scam attempt actually.

    I think they would renew the domains yearly, and disappear (rename company and continue doing the same thing) max 3-5 years after initial bulk of registrations.

    They charge you 420 - yeah, even the price is dope, they spend 30, max 50 the rest is money for keeping.

    Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @Janevski said:

    @deank said: Yeah, pretty sure they will make a run at 10 years, making a nice sum of money overall. Can't even chargeback or anything at that point.

    A nice scam attempt actually.

    I think they would renew the domains yearly, and disappear (rename company and continue doing the same thing) max 3-5 years after initial bulk of registrations.

    They charge you 420 - yeah, even the price is dope, they spend 30, max 50 the rest is money for keeping.

    Why would they do that? If they paid for the ICANN fees for 10 years, they're long, long, LONG gone by the time you get pissed about their scam. We're talking the difference of dollars.

    @partymonger said: Actually math is pretty much my thing. I was just hoping someone already did the calculation - upto32.com - neckbeard nerdiness.

  • @Janevski said: They charge you 420 - yeah, even the price is dope,

    The arbitrary price certainly doesn’t say “mature individuals I want to trust for the next 70 years”.

    My Advice: VPS Advice

    For LET support, please click here.

    Thanked by 3Janevski Aidan NodeKid
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited December 2017

    @WSS said:

    @Janevski said:

    @deank said: Yeah, pretty sure they will make a run at 10 years, making a nice sum of money overall. Can't even chargeback or anything at that point.

    A nice scam attempt actually.

    I think they would renew the domains yearly, and disappear (rename company and continue doing the same thing) max 3-5 years after initial bulk of registrations.

    They charge you 420 - yeah, even the price is dope, they spend 30, max 50 the rest is money for keeping.

    Why would they do that? If they paid for the ICANN fees for 10 years, they're long, long, LONG gone by the time you get pissed about their scam. We're talking the difference of dollars.

    Yeah, i suppose that's a safer way of doing this, but they need only three months to escape "the long hand" of paypal and one week up to one month to escape the banks. If they are doing bitcoin, then they don't even need to provide the service at all. I guess the lease time is a function of greed and risk acceptance of the perpetrator.

    Having in mind there are multiple registrations, spanning across a period of time, 100$ for 10 year renewal and 320$ for keeping, a decade later, nobody gives a fuck about some broken down company, that's nice too.

    Hopefully, even the client forgets about his domain by then.

    Perhaps a mix of the two?

    Register yearly, just in case the user disputes, and if he doesn't renew for a decade.

    A very nice scam indeed.

  • Since users can see how long a domain is registered for on WHOIS, it's better to register for 10 years.

    It's a good scam. Anyone falls for it deserves whatever they get.

    LET-Lives-Matter | I am a sarcastic troll and has a fetish in PMS. For kids, PMS means "Premenstrual syndrome" and guys can have PMS.

  • mailinabox said: What is your opinion domain will expire ever?

    That's not even English, so I have no idea which choice I should click. But my opinion is that the domain name will expire.

    Thanked by 1Janevski
  • Emailed them ...

    1. Your WhoIs will show a date.
    2. The end date will initially display 10 years out- as far out as ICANN will allow at one time.
    3. If Epik goes out of business- there will be discussion and a plan in place to work those Forever Renewals out.
    4. Forever is Forever. As stated above, ICANN will only allow us to initially renew it 10 years out and once those 10 years are up, then our system will automatically renew the domain for 1 year at a time.
    Thanked by 1Tom
  • If Epik goes out of business- there will be discussion and a plan in place to work those Forever Renewals out.

    Solid.

    Thanked by 1Janevski
  • So what 60% of people wrote yes in the pole?

    And justice will come upon the scammers like a strike from a Hammer.

  • @hammer said: So what 60% of people wrote yes in the pole?

    Yes

  • Send me the link to buy the domain directly from ICANN and I am on board..

    Free 15 day Runcloud Trial | If you buy it to let it idle, you are doing it right.

  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider
    edited December 2017

    you need to be so stupid to pay for .UK domain name $560.00 for FOREVER option as you can easily purchase 100 years elsewhere and it will cost cheaper = £5.99 (registration inc. 1 year) + 99 (years) x £3.59 (renewal cost) = £361.40

    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
    Looking for storage VPS and managed service? Check our VPS4Storage website and get 40% OFF for lifetime.
  • I choose "No"

    eCoupon - Cheap Domain, Hosting and VPS Coupon Codes

  • I think smart people would realize that for normal registration at even $10; 420 = 42 years but it is not possible to renew for more than 10 years so how is it possible to pay $420 for lifetime renewal unless you know that company is going to last at least 42 years. It's great to see most responses are similar to mines.

    However; there was a time I thought crypto currencies like bitcoin could not possibly go over $20 since it's just some computer generated number of no real value but than it has gone as high as $20000.

    Whatever. Good luck anyway. If I live over 42 years from now; I'm going to say you were the genius for paying $420 dollars for this service.

  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited December 2017

    needavps said: Whatever. Good luck anyway.

    This is like saying good luck to a guy that's about to shoot himself in the head with a loaded gun. He might survive just enough to be a vegetable.

    There is no luck here, it's a fucking scam. You lose anyway.

  • Clearly with a retail price of $420 the money will go to feed someones weed supply :)

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

    @Janevski said:

    @WSS said:

    @Janevski said:

    @deank said: Yeah, pretty sure they will make a run at 10 years, making a nice sum of money overall. Can't even chargeback or anything at that point.

    A nice scam attempt actually.

    I think they would renew the domains yearly, and disappear (rename company and continue doing the same thing) max 3-5 years after initial bulk of registrations.

    They charge you 420 - yeah, even the price is dope, they spend 30, max 50 the rest is money for keeping.

    Why would they do that? If they paid for the ICANN fees for 10 years, they're long, long, LONG gone by the time you get pissed about their scam. We're talking the difference of dollars.

    Yeah, i suppose that's a safer way of doing this, but they need only three months to escape "the long hand" of paypal and one week up to one month to escape the banks. If they are doing bitcoin, then they don't even need to provide the service at all. I guess the lease time is a function of greed and risk acceptance of the perpetrator.

    Having in mind there are multiple registrations, spanning across a period of time, 100$ for 10 year renewal and 320$ for keeping, a decade later, nobody gives a fuck about some broken down company, that's nice too.

    Hopefully, even the client forgets about his domain by then.

    Perhaps a mix of the two?

    Register yearly, just in case the user disputes, and if he doesn't renew for a decade.

    A very nice scam indeed.

    You can chargeback in 2 years from the transaction IIRC.

    https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-do-i-use-chargeback

    As per Which it is 540 days.

  • xNEOxNEO Member

    You can get at least $10(even more) interest per year for the $420, $10 is more than enough to renew a .com/.net or whatever gTLD domain for a year.

  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Provider

    @xNEO said: You can get at least $10(even more) interest per year for the $420, $10 is more than enough to renew a .com/.net or whatever gTLD domain for a year.

    The prices are also regularly increased.

    Currently offering Node.js code review, tutoring and advice and custom Node.js module development!
    Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

  • @xNEO said: You can get at least $10(even more) interest per year for the $420, $10 is more than enough to renew a .com/.net or whatever gTLD domain for a year.

    ~2.5% interest would be nice to have :P

    You'll thank me later. https://www.colocrap.me/

  • WSSWSS Member

    @doghouch said: ~2.5% interest would be nice to have :P

    Who the hell still offers 2.5% interest? Must be some Credit Union.

    @partymonger said: Actually math is pretty much my thing. I was just hoping someone already did the calculation - upto32.com - neckbeard nerdiness.

  • @WSS said:

    @doghouch said: ~2.5% interest would be nice to have :P

    Who the hell still offers 2.5% interest? Must be some Credit Union.

    Not sure, but it would a hell ton better than 0.5%.

    You'll thank me later. https://www.colocrap.me/

    Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

    @doghouch said:

    @WSS said:

    @doghouch said: ~2.5% interest would be nice to have :P

    Who the hell still offers 2.5% interest? Must be some Credit Union.

    Not sure, but it would a hell ton better than 0.5%.

    No shit. I think I'm at 0.7%.

    @partymonger said: Actually math is pretty much my thing. I was just hoping someone already did the calculation - upto32.com - neckbeard nerdiness.

  • @WSS said:

    @doghouch said:

    @WSS said:

    @doghouch said: ~2.5% interest would be nice to have :P

    Who the hell still offers 2.5% interest? Must be some Credit Union.

    Not sure, but it would a hell ton better than 0.5%.

    No shit. I think I'm at 0.7%.

    The fact that you get a whole 0.2% more triggers me. TRIGGER!

    You'll thank me later. https://www.colocrap.me/

    Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

    @doghouch said:

    @WSS said:

    @doghouch said:

    @WSS said:

    @doghouch said: ~2.5% interest would be nice to have :P

    Who the hell still offers 2.5% interest? Must be some Credit Union.

    Not sure, but it would a hell ton better than 0.5%.

    No shit. I think I'm at 0.7%.

    The fact that you get a whole 0.2% more triggers me. TRIGGER!

    Gotta love the culture of victimhood.

    @partymonger said: Actually math is pretty much my thing. I was just hoping someone already did the calculation - upto32.com - neckbeard nerdiness.

  • mailinaboxmailinabox Member
    edited January 11

    From support: Jessica No. If you select and pay for a Forever register/renewal it is not refundable.

    Jessica It is legit. You would register/pay for the forever and we would register the domain for as far out as we can per ICANN which is like 9 or 10 years and then when it comes up for renewal, the system will automatically renew it for another year and continue to do so. You would not need to worry about renewing the domain again. Note- the forever is only valid within Epik so if you decide to ever transfer the domain out of Epik, it would void the forever on it.

    Do you have a mail in a box?

  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited January 11

    @WSS Even high interest accounts are a joke lol.

    My bank has an offer right now (2.3% interest with a min. balance of 5k) but interest is a taxable income, so.... yeah.

    You'll thank me later. https://www.colocrap.me/

  • mailinaboxmailinabox Member
    edited January 11

    From support: Jessica Yes. To my knowledge we are the only Registrar that offers such feature at this time. This feature allows for our customers who want to make sure they never lose their domain, never do.

    Amazing!

    Do you have a mail in a box?

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Top Provider
    edited January 11

    Buy it and let us know how it goes every 5 years or so.

    Thanked by 1Aidan
  • From support: Jessica Not at all. Less stress on the customer to remember a renewal date or to make sure the CC on file stays up to date.

    no stress what a marketing text

    Do you have a mail in a box?

  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Provider

    You should ask them how they're making this work economically, considering the registry fees. Put them on the spot.

    Currently offering Node.js code review, tutoring and advice and custom Node.js module development!
    Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

  • AidanAidan Member

    In a few years, they'll most likely send out confirmation emails - if you fail to confirm your details in the allocated time they'll just stop renewing your domain.

    ... or they'll just deadpool, either way - it's a bad idea to buy this.

  • mailinabox said: domain registered forever

    Only way to do that is set up your own root and become your own registrar.

Sign In or Register to comment.