Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aruba DC-IT1 pathetic I/O & Network, can't open ticket
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Aruba DC-IT1 pathetic I/O & Network, can't open ticket

I've had 3 of the €1 VMs with them in FR-DC for over an year but never faced a problem, but recently I set

I just setup a new €1 VPS at DC-IT1 last month, which was performing well... but from last 3-4 days, the disk I/O and Network performance has degraded very badly. The server CPU usage spikes high on slightest access to storage, even when Google bots hit my site to crawl, the cpu usage spikes 99%.
Even apt-get update is taking exceptionally long and the site loads very slow. Even Unzipping a 30mb file took about 3 minutes and the cpu spiked high.

I tried opening ticket through https://customerarea.aruba.it but it always says ERROR OCCURRED… I sent them a mail at '[email protected]' and haven't gotten a reply yet in more than 14 hours.

Looks like a bad neighbour abuse on the node but not being able to open a ticket is a big letdown.

Has anyone had such bad experience regarding them lately ?

Ran some benchmarks and the network though a bit acceptable, disk /IO is well below a standard mark.

System Info
-----------
Processor            : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
CPU Cores           : 1
Frequency           : 2299.998 MHz
Memory                              : 997 MB
Swap                    : 1903 MB
Uptime                 : 43 days, 37 min,
OS                         : Debian GNU/Linux 8
Arch                      : x86_64 (64 Bit)
Kernel                   : 3.16.0-4-amd64

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
---------------------

Location                             Provider               Speed
CDN                                     Cachefly              2.86MB/s
Atlanta, GA, US                 Coloat                  937KB/s 
Dallas, TX, US                    Softlayer              4.85MB/s 
Seattle, WA, US                Softlayer              2.61MB/s 
San Jose, CA, US               Softlayer              1.11MB/s 
Washington, DC, US        Softlayer             1.58MB/s 

Tokyo, Japan                     Linode                  89.1KB/s 
Singapore                          Softlayer              4.96MB/s 

Rotterdam, Netherlands                id3.net                 2.21MB/s
Haarlem, Netherlands     Leaseweb            6.64MB/s 

Disk Speed
----------
I/O (1st run)        : 51.3 MB/s
I/O (2nd run)      : 58.6 MB/s
I/O (3rd run)       : 63.2 MB/s
Average I/O        : 57.7 MB/s
Thanked by 1nunuigti

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Well, its a ~€0.6-€0.7 VM so you shouldn’t anticipate much more, should you ?

Thanked by 2mehargags WSS
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited December 2017

mehargags said: haven't gotten a reply yet in more than 14 hours

Do you really expect a reply (in less than 14 hours!) a couple of days before Christmas over a 1€ VPS? And on Saturday? From Aruba? Forget it. Network performance is always pretty inconsistent if you watch it closely, at least that's what I invariably registered with monitoring tools in FR, DE (up to six months ago) and IT (up until now, the only instance I'm keeping). I wouldn't use it to host anything at all, at best use it as a sandbox (well, that's the advertised intended use after all).

Clouvider said: ~€0.6-€0.7 VM

It's 1€+VAT for international customers if it's an instance grabbed at promotion prices

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • @Clouvider said:
    Well, its a ~€0.6-€0.7 VM so you shouldn’t anticipate much more, should you ?

Yes I should... I have other VMs with them which perform great! At par with €5-€20 VMs. You didn't read my post in full... did you ?

The concern is I can't even open the ticket and haven't yet received a reply on my email. They are an established company, would expect a bare minimum approach towards support whatsoever.

I'm sharing my experience here and not really crying for a low cost VM that is not working... I hope you get the point.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

mehargags said: in more than 14 hours

oh no, i'm sure you're missing out on thousands of dollars a minute on your 1 euro VPS.

Thanked by 3Clouvider pike doghouch
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited December 2017

mehargags said: would expect a bare minimum approach towards support whatsoever.

In the meanwhile, at Aruba's HQ...

established company

"big" is not necessarily "better"

@mfs said:

mehargags said: would expect a bare minimum approach towards support whatsoever.

In the meanwhile, at Aruba's HQ...

established company

"big" is not necessarily "better"

Bare minimum - they have a website and you can send them an email.

Responding to that costs more than you pay them so the sad thing is that you need to accept the fact that the service can’t be stellar at all times, especially over Christmas / New Year break.

The solution is simple: Don’t run production on this kind of services, treat it as a hobby, personal server.

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited December 2017

I understand Christmas rush and delays... and it is not a production website either.

It is just that I've had very good experience with this company before (same as many others) but this particular VM disappoints. I don't see a point of troll here at all yet LET seems to be ruined by such emotions lately.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited December 2017

I opened a ticket about IPv6 with respect to my €1/month instance at FR1 over two weeks ago and still haven't received a reply. Frankly, I don't expect a reply anymore.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • just give them time, €1/month VPS wont give you fast support. Because of chrismast I'll give them a week to reply

• Frankly, I've never had to open a ticket with them, but whenever I inquired about anything they would respond pretty quick. Anyways, lets see if they can do something or not, else I'll just move over the dev. site

Thanked by 1default

Give them some time, I’m sure they will come around 2nd week of Jan or so. Thy are likely to have less staff and more orders at he same time, plus you’re using they, I suppose, lowest priority service.

• @mehargags said:
    Frankly, I've never had to open a ticket with them, but whenever I inquired about anything they would respond pretty quick. Anyways, lets see if they can do something or not, else I'll just move over the dev. site

I can say the same... never needed to open a ticket for technical issue so far, because services are going strong. yet if anything happens, support might be of not much help... sounds much like OVH ;-)

for the 1€ in IT DC it might be easiest to just spawn another one, which hopefully ends up on another node (depending on how aged your service already is) and migrate anything over before renewal.

Thanked by 2mehargags default
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited December 2017

I am happy with Aruba and never had problems. I think tickets are processed a bit slower now because of Christmas period.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited December 2017

mehargags said: It is just that I've had very good experience with this company before (same as many others) but this particular VM disappoints. I don't see a point of troll here at all yet LET seems to be ruined by such emotions lately.

You do understand that with your initial post about "pathetic I/O and network" you just bash the provider publicly in a well known forum that caches on google, don't you? So, such threads are not that harmless. Do you think that a delay for an answer for a 1$ per month 1GB vps a couple of days before Christmas, for a service that as you said, has nothing to do with production, is justifies a public bash thread?

PS: According to your benchmark, the results are far away from "pathetic". The network is not the best, but rather acceptable in EU locations and the I/O is just fine for such a dirty cheap vps. What did you expect for the price? 1Gbit speed that will not be lower at any time of year, or SSD superspeed?

Thanked by 2Yura steny
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

mfs said: It's 1€+VAT for international customers if it's an instance grabbed at promotion prices

:|, come on.
    Please understand it for once: companies do not get VAT.
    VAT is paid to the government, it's not exactly "profit", can be deducted if you have enough expenses as a company, but it's not profit.
    So it's more like 0,70/0,80 max, per month which barely cover the IP fees let alone the rest.

• @MikePT said:

mfs said: It's 1€+VAT for international customers if it's an instance grabbed at promotion prices

:|, come on.
    Please understand it for once: companies do not get VAT.
    VAT is paid to the government, it's not exactly "profit", can be deducted if you have enough expenses as a company, but it's not profit.
    So it's more like 0,70/0,80 max, per month which barely cover the IP fees let alone the rest.

Cough PayPal COUGH $0.30 fee on a $2 transaction.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited December 2017

MikePT said: :|, come on. Please understand it for once: companies do not get VAT. VAT is paid to the government, it's not exactly "profit", can be deducted if you have enough expenses as a company, but it's not profit. So it's more like 0,70/0,80 max, per month which barely cover the IP fees let alone the rest.

?

1€ is the price without VAT. I'm fully aware about what VAT is.

doghouch said: PayPal

not really the first payment preprocessor you're hinted to use, but I get that was the referenced as a possible hidden cost. Moreover, it's a dumping price, so talking about profit at all would be misleading

Thanked by 2MikePT doghouch
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2017

I never had a vm in Italy as you can imagine, BUT, support is indeed a joke. THEY do not know how VAT is regulated, not the people on this forum.
    At least I got some replies, even though didnt solve anything and looked like coming from braindead zombies.
    Other than that, I am raelly happy with my UK and DE VMs.

• wait-- so do they charge VAT for non-EU customers or not?

• There is a way to have VAT removed (it now requires a ticket I believe and you have to have already made a purchase), but it’s non-trivial to achieve. They seem happy to charge VAT regardless of customer location or business status.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited December 2017

kerouac said: do they charge VAT for non-EU customers or not?

contrary to netcup's bizarre interpretation of the VAT rules, they officially won't charge VAT if e.g. you're non-EU or if you have a valid (non-Italian) VIES VAT ID. Problem is, their level of bureaucracy is on par with Italian's public administration. If you request something you're supposed to know the exact procedure. Unless obviously you're a prospective big customer or you're dealing with public administration-related services. If you're on a uber-cheap plan and you're facing issues or you're requesting something with anything but a perfect procedure, you'll likely get delayed, receive canned or bogus answers and ultimately invited to upgrade to a better plan. On the contrary, if you request their PEC/digital signature/legally opposable time stamps/legal data archiving & services for legal purposes in general, you may even receive a call in a few hours.

• I never had any issues with my service at Aruba in the past year or two. But since two weeks or so, I withness the same on DC-DE1 from time to time. It looks as if they caught themselves some abuser...however, it is usually is back to normal within some time.